I finally saw Gran Torino

Some of the worst acting/writing ever in a "good" movie. I thought it was decent, nothing great at all.

I liked it but it wasn't even in Clint's top 3 to me. He has always tended to surround himself with a weak (cheap?) cast. When he gets real actors around him like in Unforgiven it really puts him over the top. A lot of the banter was pretty dated and sounded like something from a 70s movie. Toad was weak as water. Clint could play that role in his sleep. What do you guys think was the symbolism of him constantly fixing things and having all the tools was? It was a constant theme.

I really liked the movie, but it's so overrated it's not even funny. Especially Eastwood's performance. It felt like typical Eastwood but with some awful racial slurs thrown in. ...and some of them were really bad. I don't mean bad as in mean or derogatory (which they were) but bad as in lame, corny, and stupid. But like I said, I enjoyed the movie. As far as movies he's directed and starred in, Million Dollar Baby was still a ton better.

Guest WoodyPaige
I liked it but it wasn't even in Clint's top 3 to me. He has always tended to surround himself with a weak (cheap?) cast. When he gets real actors around him like in Unforgiven it really puts him over the top. A lot of the banter was pretty dated and sounded like something from a 70s movie. Toad was weak as water. Clint could play that role in his sleep. What do you guys think was the symbolism of him constantly fixing things and having all the tools was? It was a constant theme.

I think all the fixing was an attempt at distracting himself from his real problems (as in, try and fix everything except what you REALLY have to fix -- building a materialistic wall around him), even though you could just link it to his long years building cars in the Ford factory.

Great ****in movie. I went into it with low expectations but after watching it I would have to rank it up there with American History X as one of the greatest racial movies of all time

i put it up there in the top movies ever made of any genre.

and i personally thought it was more of a religious movie than a racial movie.

I think all the fixing was an attempt at distracting himself from his real problems (as in, try and fix everything except what you REALLY have to fix -- building a materialistic wall around him), even though you could just link it to his long years building cars in the Ford factory.

Yeah, that's a good point. Sometimes I feel that way myself.