Computer question before I go insane

I have downloaded a movie and I cant figure out how to get it to play. I need some really basic and SIMPLE instructions. The file type says dvdrip.xvid.

THere are like 54 files with it so how do i figure out how to just play the freaking movie?

any help would be appreciated since every search I do seems to be geared toward windows, and the mac ones lead to dead ends. I have downloaded different codecs and still nothing works.

step by step would be nice.....but any help is appreciated.

I have downloaded a movie and I cant figure out how to get it to play. I need some really basic and SIMPLE instructions. The file type says dvdrip.xvid.

THere are like 54 files with it so how do i figure out how to just play the freaking movie?

any help would be appreciated since every search I do seems to be geared toward windows, and the mac ones lead to dead ends. I have downloaded different codecs and still nothing works.

You need to help me out by telling me a little more. Are all the files in a folder together, and if so are they all xvid's?

step 1: Smack the side of the computer with an open hand.

You need to help me out by telling me a little more. Are all the files in a folder together, and if so are they all xvid's?

yes.... they are all in one folder together and they all say this exactly dvdrip.xvid-cultxvid.. and then a number 1-54... there is also one that says nfo instead of a number and one that says "sample"... the sample one plays fine but its only like 20 seconds long.

yes.... they are all in one folder together and they all say this exactly dvdrip.xvid-cultxvid.. and then a number 1-54... there is also one that says nfo instead of a number and one that says "sample"... the sample one plays fine but its only like 20 seconds long.

Are they all the same (or similar) size file?

Are they all the same (or similar) size file?

most of the numbered ones are around 14.3 MB.. there is also one without a number but has rar instead. other than that the others are like 4kb (the sample one and one that says nfo)

quicktime wont open them..

What movie?

old 80's horror movie called cannibal holocaust..... had a lot of controversy back in its day...

I tried the codec download and still no luck... i just keep gettting the message from quicktime. "cannot open the file. the file is not a movie file"

rvrndzomb,

The movie you DLed has been broken up into many parts called RAR files. These are like .zip files but are more universal depending on the operating system. A lot of these files are transferred over IRC so breaking up a huge movie into many different files makes the download resumable. What you need to do is un-rar the files by using the appropriate app. This is achieved by clicking on the first file, usually marked with 00 or .rar. The process will automatically un-rar the other files in sequence as long as they are in the same folder as the master file. After the un-rar process is finished there will be a divx/avi file you can play in VLC Player.

old 80's horror movie called cannibal holocaust..... had a lot of controversy back in its day...

I tried the codec download and still no luck... i just keep gettting the message from quicktime. "cannot open the file. the file is not a movie file"

Don't open it with quicktime. Try opening it with VLC now that you have the codec after you recombine the .rar file.

rvrndzomb,

The movie you DLed has been broken up into many parts called RAR files. These are like .zip files but are more universal depending on the operating system. A lot of these files are transferred over IRC so breaking up a huge movie into many different files makes the download resumable. What you need to do is un-rar the files by using the appropriate app. This is achieved by clicking on the first file, usually marked with 00 or .rar. The process will automatically un-rar the other files in sequence as long as they are in the same folder as the master file. After the un-rar process is finished there will be a divx/avi file you can play in VLC Player.

oh man..... i already have that one set to open with quicktime.... what should i open that one with?