Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Krip Da Knight

Matt Ryan Overstudying?

99 posts in this topic

Could Matt Ryan really be overstudying? The day after the season he was found in the film room watching game tape. Believe me, I love his work ethic but could he become an "overthinker". That was the knock of John Parker Wilson, that he over thunk the play and didn't go with his instincts. Personally I've seen classmates go to school all semester and all summer and tell me they were experiencing "brain fog" from over studying. As much as I love Matt Ryan and hope for his success, I can't help but cringe when I hear an interview and he's saying he's been working all off season and studying tape. The Sophmore Slump could become real. (Not to antagonize anyone, just an objective look).

I would rather have him over prepared than under prepared. Sign of a good qb. Glad we have a smart one for a change.

Is Peyton Manning overstudying???

How Peyton Manning Will Spend the 2007 Offseason

So how will he spend the 2007 offseason? According to his official website, Manning likes to play golf, spend time with his wife, dine out, go to movies and read. With the first mini-camp for teams generally around May, Manning will have a good three months to do all that stuff.

http://hubpages.com/hub/How_Peyton_Manning..._2007_Offseason

If the only thing people can find to complain about Matt Ryan is the fact that he works too hard to become a better player, that's fine with me.

It seems a little presumptuous to assume that you know better than he does about how he best assimilates information and learns. Maybe what works best for him is repetition - seeing the same sets of film over and over again until it just becomes second nature on how the defense is going to react. Besides, film study doesn't always mean he's in a dark room by himself taking notes; he could just have film on when he's eating breakfast or working out or doing other things...

You cannot be over prepared. Manning is the perfect example. I remember hearing that he spends more than 24 hours each week in the film room during the playoffs.

How Peyton Manning Will Spend the 2007 Offseason

So how will he spend the 2007 offseason? According to his official website, Manning likes to play golf, spend time with his wife, dine out, go to movies and read. With the first mini-camp for teams generally around May, Manning will have a good three months to do all that stuff.

http://hubpages.com/hub/How_Peyton_Manning..._2007_Offseason

2007 wasn't Peyton's first off season after his rookie year, either. Manning doesn't need to watch as much film now because he has been doing it for years. Ryan still has to build a foundation of knowledge and get up the very steep learning curve in the NFL before he can take months off at a time.

I'm not even a little bit worried about him "overstudying". That's ridonkulus.

If the only thing people can find to complain about Matt Ryan is the fact that he works too hard to become a better player, that's fine with me.

It seems a little presumptuous to assume that you know better than he does about how he best assimilates information and learns. Maybe what works best for him is repetition - seeing the same sets of film over and over again until it just becomes second nature on how the defense is going to react. Besides, film study doesn't always mean he's in a dark room by himself taking notes; he could just have film on when he's eating breakfast or working out or doing other things...

Whoa Whoa chill on that. I'm not complaining, just making a point. Matt Ryan's not gonna read my post and say "Oh wow, this Krip guy makes a point, maybe I will stop my offseason prep." A message board is open for debate so let's debate. You make a good point, people have different learning capacities. Ryan could very well be a repetition learner. But TD said himself that he told Matt Ryan to go home and relax after seeing him at the Branch a lot. And 24 hours a week during the playoffs, not during the offseason.

Boo this guy

Whoa Whoa chill on that. I'm not complaining, just making a point. Matt Ryan's not gonna read my post and say "Oh wow, this Krip guy makes a point, maybe I will stop my offseason prep." A message board is open for debate so let's debate. You make a good point, people have different learning capacities. Ryan could very well be a repetition learner. But TD said himself that he told Matt Ryan to go home and relax after seeing him at the Branch a lot. And 24 hours a week during the playoffs, not during the offseason.

Boo this guy

How could too much film time be bad, please come up with a logical explanation how you came up with this theory, it is not like it a science test or something.

I don't think the "study long, study wrong" saying applies to this.

I would rather have him over prepared than under prepared. Sign of a good qb. Glad we have a good team for a change.

fixed it for ya......

How could too much film time be bad, please come up with a logical explanation how you came up with this theory, it is not like it a science test or something.

You're asking me to come up with statistical results on overstudying. I study medicine and human health and to this day the phenomenon of "brain fog" is still not understood. You can't scientifically prove studying film can hurt, which is why we debate it. It's almost like asking me to measure the "it" factor that makes a qb bust and a qb succeed.

At the same time one guy made a good point. By the 2007 offseason Peyton was already knee deep in his offense and not a rookie, while Ryan is only in his second year. It's still not ridunkulous to suggest that he could be overstudying. Especially considering he went from being a senior in college to training for the combine to interviewing to the draft to rookie offseason minicamp to the pre-season to the season to the playoffs back to studying.

Boo this guy (I really liked that "boo this guy" animation)

Matt Ryan is Matt Ryan.

He's always been this way. Hard work, attention to detail, a serious approach to what he does..............an incredibly bright mind.

You don't change who you are and what got you to the "big dance".

Just thank God he is a Falcon.

Relax.

You're asking me to come up with statistical results on overstudying. I study medicine and human health and to this day the phenomenon of "brain fog" is still not understood. You can't scientifically prove studying film can hurt, which is why we debate it. It's almost like asking me to measure the "it" factor that makes a qb bust and a qb succeed.

At the same time one guy made a good point. By the 2007 offseason Peyton was already knee deep in his offense and not a rookie, while Ryan is only in his second year. It's still not ridunkulous to suggest that he could be overstudying. Especially considering he went from being a senior in college to training for the combine to interviewing to the draft to rookie offseason minicamp to the pre-season to the season to the playoffs back to studying.

Boo this guy (I really liked that "boo this guy" animation)

It is football, it is not the test that you and i took while in school, you are comparing apples and oranges.

Matt Ryan is Matt Ryan.

He's always been this way. Hard work, attention to detail, a serious approach to what he does..............an incredibly bright mind.

You don't change who you are and what got you to the "big dance".

Just thank God he is a Falcon.

Relax.

Good point, one argument a guy made before really just trumped my whole post. Different people have different learning capacities. Really I have no argument anymore.

Good point, one argument a guy made before really just trumped my whole post. Different people have different learning capacities. Really I have no argument anymore.

You never had an agrument :P :D

I think I'll have some eggs this morning ......

as for this thread ....... yeah I think I'll have eggs :D:D:D

2007 wasn't Peyton's first off season after his rookie year, either. Manning doesn't need to watch as much film now because he has been doing it for years. Ryan still has to build a foundation of knowledge and get up the very steep learning curve in the NFL before he can take months off at a time.

I'm not even a little bit worried about him "overstudying". That's ridonkulus.

Perfectly said. It would be best to compare each of their preparations the first couple of years as opposed to after Manning has been in the league 11 years.

Nice try but no. Ryan won't overthink things in games. I'm okay with him overthinking things during the off-season. He is trying to get better at reading defenses and keying on things that might tip him off to something during games. Although Manning enjoys all those things in the off-season NOW, I doubt that his sophomore off-season was that filled with activities outside of football and preparing for the upcoming season.