Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SWIFT HITTER

Aaron Kelly should make the team over Finneran

155 posts in this topic

ive been at camp since it started and kelly has looked awful. finneran has been catching all over our d all camp long and easily deserves hd's spot if we dont sign someone in his abscence. and if he doesnt jump in at the spot we should give it to williams who has also been looking better than kelly at the slot. sorry kelly fans. just cause he's somewhat local doesnt mean he deserves to start

ive been at camp since it started and kelly has looked awful. finneran has been catching all over our d all camp long and easily deserves hd's spot if we dont sign someone in his abscence. and if he doesnt jump in at the spot we should give it to williams who has also been looking better than kelly at the slot. sorry kelly fans. just cause he's somewhat local doesnt mean he deserves to start

I agree I saw some passes where Kelly didn't even look back... just kept running -_-

I agree I saw some passes where Kelly didn't even look back... just kept running -_-

to be honest its blowing my mind that his bandwagon has gotten so huge. i guess people have been basing their opinions off of his college career which was above average. but at tc he has looked terrible and i know the coachs are not impressed with his play at all.

AT the end of the day all of the speculation by fans means absolutely nothing, The coaches will make the final decision on who Plays. So we will see during preseason and the start of the regular season who's who on the football field.

Awwww man here we go with this BS, everyone who speaks on a certain player on OUR TEAM is on a ban wagon. Well F the F'N ban wagon. I've been at every training camp and ota myself. It doesn't make anyone more knowledgeable just because you can say that. There are many fans who can say the same. The bottom line is everyone will have a different opinion based on what they have seen. All I know is the list of fans who think he is horrible is rather short compared to to list of fans who think he has potential. This calling fans ban wagon fans because they believe in a player on OUR ROSTER is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Its rather funny gave me a good laugh this morning.

For all of those who don't care for Finn you are going to see more of him this season.... unless we go out and sign a good FA Wr then Finn should EASILY win the slot receiver job. HD's injury is exactly why I said earlier in this thread that we needed to keep Finn. HD going down probably saved Thomas Brown from being cutt...

If I've got a big 3rd down in week 8 in the 2nd quarter I agree with the post.

However...

If I've got a big 3rd down in week 19 down by 4 points with 1:16 to go...I'd take Finneran without batting an eye.

To me the question is not ability. The young guy better have superior physical tools at this point in their careers. It is about having done it and QB's confidence in that ability. If you have to have a catch, and the reciever can't get open, and the QB is wearing a defender from the numbers down as he releases...I want Brian on the field.

Only WR on our squad that I would even consider throwing to (if I were QB) in the clutch other than Finn is Jenkins. And if they are both on the field I'm looking to Finn 1st.

I personally have all the faith in the world in finn. But Im not gonna sit here and act like I don't like what I've seen from Kelly SO FAR either. I know that Finn. is a fan favorite and for good reason, but he can't go forever. So eventually You have to start grooming someone to take over his position. So I say let the grooming begin, who ever the player may be.

Id say we go

White

Jenkins

Finn

Booker- i like Booker in slot ..he still has okay speed

Kelly -( I KNOW HE HAS STRUGGLED A LIL) but to much upside

Id say we go

White

Jenkins

Finn

Booker- i like Booker in slot ..he still has okay speed

Kelly -( I KNOW HE HAS STRUGGLED A LIL) but to much upside

two battles i would watch are Booker/Ferguson and Kelly/Berg

How can you not care for Finn? He's not a world beater but when he is in all he does is produce.
Only WR on our squad that I would even consider throwing to (if I were QB) in the clutch other than Finn is Jenkins. And if they are both on the field I'm looking to Finn 1st.

i agree completely with this.

Seems like every year for the past 3 or 4 years someone says "reciever X" sdould make the team over ol' Skillet. But you know what? Some how Finn always manages to stick around, I expect the same this season. Let's go Finn!

Yup, 'Nuff said

Let me be the first to say Im one of Brian Finneran biggest fans. He was a clutch wr that made some big grabs in 3rd down situations but his time has come. It was a great story last season him coming back from injury but with Kelly he is a younger version of a Finneran. Kelly also can return some kicks and give Norwood a break.

White

Jenkins

Douglas

Weems-(special teams)

Kelly

agree or disagree.

I'm all for A.K. becoming a big Falcons star but...he's gone on record as saying that he's got to get used to the Qb calling the plays and playing from the huddle. Said he hasn't done that in 5 years!!! :o

WOW what a long thread, anyway had to throw in my 2 cents which i dont do very often but here goes.

Roddy and Jenkins is a lock

Fin is a lock, for this year, gone next year enjoy him while you can. Skillet hands is making his finale hoorah.

I think Ferguson is in, vet with lots of experience in case someone goes down. One and done.

5th will be someone who can PR or KR Bergeron or Weems.

Kelley is PS this year or cut

Booker is a no go

Eveyrone else is a camp body...........

WOW what a long thread, anyway had to throw in my 2 cents which i dont do very often but here goes.

Roddy and Jenkins is a lock

Fin is a lock, for this year, gone next year enjoy him while you can. Skillet hands is making his finale hoorah.

I think Ferguson is in, vet with lots of experience in case someone goes down. One and done.

5th will be someone who can PR or KR Bergeron or Weems.

Kelley is PS this year or cut

Booker is a no go

Eveyrone else is a camp body...........

I agree, except i see booker over fergy.

I agree, except i see booker over fergy.

I agree. I would like to see Booker over Ferg ..that just my opinion..Booker still got good speed and is relaible

thanks, and back atcha.

the wildcard in all of this is the lack of a CBA.

i'm really at a loss to factor how that is going to impact rosters across the league, and none of the speculation i've read even seems clear.

do teams have an incentive or disincentive, for example, to extend players?

from my understanding, the cap was adjusted up, and we weren't in particularly bad cap shape to start with, and if folks are largely standing pat due to the uncertainty of the collective bargaining agreement, we won't be extending a lot of vets. with all that said, penny pinching wouldn't be a primary consideration for getting rid of finneran.

part of the flexibility afforded by having a 'youth movement' philosophy is that younger=cheaper, in general, allowing you to pick and choose spots in which to overpay.

i've said for years that the true difference maker in nfl, w/ all the talent parity, is in coaching, and that if you can assemble a top notch staff (which we FINALLY appear to have), you should win most games if everything else is considered equal.

much as i HATE the pats, one of the elements of their style that i've always admired is how they acquire, groom and manage talent. they keep a lot of young, interchangeable guys who are hungry. put some good x's and o's in front of them and maximize scheme advantage. and then they can pick up disgruntled and/or discarded vets at a discount who are a tremendous scheme fit (which i think is what the deal is w/ peterson at LB -- his value elsewhere in the league may not be very high, but he's very valuable to coach smith who knows that he'll be where he's supposed to be on every given play).

all of that said, maybe we DON'T release finneran, but treat him as a versatile, albeit overpaid (for the value of a 4th WR/STer) veteran, because we can and we don't have any sal cap pressure. who knows. if weems and kelly show themselves to be close enough in talent (and assuming more upside) then its a no brainer for the staff. if not, we're not hurt at all by standing pat.

its gonna be interesting.

yea what he said, but Finn a 3rd now and not overpaid.

Only got to see 1 practise but here was my Impression of Kelly.

Very smooth fluid and athletic. Catches the ball away from his body and looks very good on the field.

Buttttt

He had to have someone lining him up on every other play. He looked lost on some of his routes, much more so than anyone else.

If/when his brain catches up he may be a very good player.

Let me be the first to say Im one of Brian Finneran biggest fans. He was a clutch wr that made some big grabs in 3rd down situations but his time has come. It was a great story last season him coming back from injury but with Kelly he is a younger version of a Finneran. Kelly also can return some kicks and give Norwood a break.

White

Jenkins

Douglas

Weems-(special teams)

Kelly

agree or disagree.

With Douglas out, we should have room for both.

White

Jenkins

Douglas

Weems-(special teams)

Kelly

agree or disagree.

DISAGREE!!

White

Jenkins

Ferguson

Finneran or Bergeron

Chandler Williams or Weems