Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SWIFT HITTER

Aaron Kelly should make the team over Finneran

155 posts in this topic

i remember an incident between kelly and the coaches in the spring that made me cross him off my list. his coaches turned out to be the possible culprit by seasons end though as they rubbed many the wrong way(cullen harper) prompting emotional outburst. they clearly did not have the confidence or respect of the players and the HC lost his job. with all that turmoil it is possible that kelly could be a steal undrafted as long as he is a team player. here he has everything going right for him and if he is truly a good guy, he should be excellant. his skill set is impressive.

when snead was asked how he went undrafted he essentially said he did'nt know. may have mentioned hands. one write up i have say's "too often allows ball into chest, leading to drops", but the draft guys tv showed him attacking the ball and catching it with his hands, even interviewed him and he commented on the importance of such fundamentals. in camp i saw him catch almost everything and he caught with his hands out away from his body. snead and co may have considered the impact of the dysfunctional staff and offense but are collectively too classy and professional to publicly announce such observations as an organization.

i just like finneran. He is great character guy, and he has been with us threw so much. He should be allowed a spot on our team because we are on the cusp of greatness, and he was there when we sucked balls. Give him another year.

1. Roddy White

2. Michael Jenkins

3. Harry Douglas

4. Brian Finneran (bubble)

5. Aaron Kelly (bubble)

6. Eric Weems (bubble)

I would say that Eric Weems and Aaron Kelly should "battle it out" for the last slot in the WR positions (assume Falcons carry 5). If Finn has a poor camp and starts looking old - then he could be the odd man out - but if its "close" I would leave Finn on the team - he's clutch and a good team guy.

Eric Weems is gone I think. Let camp tell the story though!!!!

1)i just like finneran.

2)He is great character guy, and he has been with us threw so much.

3)He should be allowed a spot on our team because we are on the cusp of greatness, and he was there when we sucked balls.

4)Give him another year.

1)me too.

2)agreed.

3)yes, and he served an important role last year with many 1st down catches.

4)i hope he gets one more year too. of all the guys we once had whose names we butchered, fingerman was my favorite. gone is brookings and warwick dunn, we need to keep fingerman around atleast one more season. maybe darren mogwai(gizmo) can be a practice squadder and then take over next year.

Robb were you in attendence at the Open Mini-Camp? I saw Kelly make all, i mean all the catches, the guy came to Mini-Camp with something to prove and i heard(mainly from Pat Y, Espn) that Kelly has been performing pretty well in Mini-Camp. I do believe that Kelly needs to add some size to his 6'5 frame, but the Kid has some skill and seems like a pretty level-headed kid, so i dont know why he wasnt drafted.

I was not at the mini-camp, I don't get to do much stuff like that living in Virginia instead of GA. If he comes in with the chip on the shoulder and uses that as a positive, and if he's ready to LISTEN & ACCEPT coaching then he's got a decent shot of making the team. He had better be ready to do some special teams work though. From what I've heard from a person who knows the Clemson program pretty well, he's had issues accepting coaching in the past, but like peter griffin has said, could be an issue that was as much the fault of the Clemson staff as it was him, but seemed like it was a little deeper than that. He's got the talent to make a roster, let's see if he can carry over a good mini-camp performance to a full training camp.

Finn is a great blocker in a run oriented offence. Every long run is due in part by WR blocking.

I disagree due to the amount of time it takes for a WR to develop in the NFL. It takes most top flight WR's a year or two before they truly become productive. That being said, I think we retain Fin next year and hope that we can keep Kelly on the practice squad for the year.

I like Finn, but I vote for either cutting Weems in favor of Kelly OR taking the "youthful" receiver with a great upside (Kelly) over a veteran (Finn) who has perhaps 1 productive year left in him.

The argument that "it takes a WR time to develop" is WAY overrated...The transition is much easier for some players arriving in the NFL than it is for others. I have the names of 3 WRs that were ALL ROOKIES last year, which will validate my argument: Royals (Broncos), Breaston (Cardinals) and Desean Jackson (Eagles). Now, tell me that these 3 players I just named still "need more time to develop"?? :D Maybe more time to get even better and make the PRO BOWL this time around... :o

If it comes down to Finn vs. Kelly, I say let them fight it out during preseason and may the best (productive) man win!

I'm undecided on this. I think Finn is good for one more year but I think there's no way we should let him get picked up by another team. I'll take him over Weems.

but with Kelly he is a younger version of a Finneran. Kelly also can return some kicks and give Norwood a break.

How many catches has Kelly had on 3. downs with 70.000+ spectators roaring in the stands???

Oh, and how many times have you actually seen Kelly in action?

just looking aaron kelly up on youtube may not tell the whole story, but atleast it is a glimpse, and kelly is WIDE open when he catches half the time, and he is equally impressive at going up and getting it with one or even two defenders on him. the only knock i have heard on him is that he may not respect coaches all the time. if so, i dont care how good he is, cut him.

How many catches has Kelly had on 3. downs with 70.000+ spectators roaring in the stands???

The only action I've seen in person of Kelly was at mini camp. And he was a beast. I think you are putting too much into the 70,000 spectors...

It really doesn't matter because if you have a QB that can make every throw you can win!

It matters. When receivers start dropping the ball, not knowing how to run routes, not blocking properly. There is a lot that goes into each individual on the field. Ryan can be mistake free all season, but it the rest of the guys don't step up, we will lose.

No one even knows if Aaron Kelly is any good or not. Mini camp is way different than the actual game.

*gasp* Say it isn't so. Playing catch in shorts isn't any different that scrimmages in full pads and live hitting is it??????? Looking good in mini-camp is normally a guarantee of future success right???

The kid played at Clemson and as much as I detest the Tigers they fill a stadium much larger than the dome every weekend. SUre he hasn't done it in the pros yet, but prior to last year how many TD's had Ryan thrown in the NFL? I hope we can keep Fin and I think Kelly will likely take the 5th spot. We'll see................................. SOON!! :)

No one even knows if Aaron Kelly is any good or not. Mini camp is way different than the actual game.

You are joking...right??? :huh: I agree that "mini-camp" is different than an actual game, but come on. The Falcons' front office wouldn't have wasted their time signing him, if he wasn't any good. If memory serves me correctly, Kelly lead the ACC in receiving for 2 years while playing at Clemson. I know it's not the NFL, but that HAS to count for something...

Seems like every year for the past 3 or 4 years someone says "reciever X" sdould make the team over ol' Skillet. But you know what? Some how Finn always manages to stick around, I expect the same this season. Let's go Finn!

Let me be the first to say Im one of Brian Finneran biggest fans. He was a clutch wr that made some big grabs in 3rd down situations but his time has come. It was a great story last season him coming back from injury but with Kelly he is a younger version of a Finneran. Kelly also can return some kicks and give Norwood a break.

White

Jenkins

Douglas

Weems-(special teams)

Kelly

agree or disagree.

I was at training camp Sat AM and he looked horrible. Dropped practically everything and bobbled the rest. Slow and sloppy routes. Unfortunately to me he stood out in a bad way. I am the same height as TO but that doesn't mean I play like him.

I have also been at training camps where he(kelly) has made some pretty amazing catches, and had reliable hands all day. Every player has a bad day.... Long as the good days out weigh the bad.