Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rollow lawson

NFLNetwork Roundtable (Sanders, Sapp, Faulk, Dukes)

124 posts in this topic

how come no one cares about the other three people that vick went to prison with?

They were the actual aggressors. Vick MAY have ordered the hangings or electrocutions but the real dirty work was done by his friends.

Why does Vick serve FED time when most of any of us would have gotten off with much much less.

IMO dog fighting is wrong, but you cannot completely end this mans football career and basically his life, based on one mistake. he spent his time in jail and lost almost all of his money and deserves a second chance. if you think he shouldnt be allowed to play again you are a hypocrite.

I think it's the torture aspect that got to most people--dog lovers or not.

You're probably right...

That is the ultimate disrespect to a living being...

Mark Schlerath and Herm Edwards...on ESPN2...just brought up the best argument...

Vick will be a starting QB in the NFL "Are their 32 better QBs in the NFL? NO!"

agreed----if he's healthy there's maybe 6-8 qb's I take before him, assuming of course that he's taking football seriously

IMO dog fighting is wrong, but you cannot completely end this mans football career and basically his life, based on one mistake. he spent his time in jail and lost almost all of his money and deserves a second chance. if you think he shouldnt be allowed to play again you are a hypocrite.

agree, he should be allowed to play again.

They were the actual aggressors. Vick MAY have ordered the hangings or electrocutions but the real dirty work was done by his friends.

Why does Vick serve FED time when most of any of us would have gotten off with much much less.

exact same scenario, except replace Vick with a different nfl superstar, say peyton manning. don't you think it also would have been all over the news?

agreed----if he's healthy there's maybe 6-8 qb's I take before him, assuming of course that he's taking football seriously

that's the thing though, can you count on vick?

Where you from?

Born and raised in the South.......Have lived in cities......Have lived in rural areas. Worked for a veterinarian in middle Tennessee when I was in high school and college....Actually helped patch up dogs who had been in organized dogfights run by white, rural dogfighters.

That's one reason dogfighting disgusts me so much. I have seen the results up close and personal. I have helped put drainage tubes in the wounds in their necks to try and stave off infection and save their lives.

Any other questions?

that's the thing though, can you count on vick?

Why not? People deserve 2nd chances right. Sometimes it takes a traumatic experience for some people to line their lives up right and start having some integrity.

Fair point...

However, there was a dog fighting ring broken up here in Jersey 2 weeks ago...where was PETA? And ESPN? And the AJC? Kelly Naqi?

PETA are hypocrites who used vick to catapult their agenda to the limelight, and I am assuming that it wasn't an athlete, so there goes ESPN. AJC would have no reason to cover it. who is kelly naqi?

Born and raised in the South.......Have lived in cities......Have lived in rural areas. Worked for a veterinarian in middle Tennessee when I was in high school and college....Actually helped patch up dogs who had been in organized dogfights run by white, rural dogfighters.

That's one reason dogfighting disgusts me so much. I have seen the results up close and personal. I have helped put drainage tubes in the wounds in their necks to try and stave off infection and save their lives.

Any other questions?

PETA or HS? J/K :D

how come no one cares about the other three people that vick went to prison with?

You're asking me?

I thought this ordeal was blown out of proportion looooong time ago...

It never should've got the media coverage it did...

Why not? People deserve 2nd chances right. Sometimes it takes a traumatic experience for some people to line their lives up right and start having some integrity.

i just don't see a franchise betting the farm on vick day 1 out of jail. he has a history of making poor choices. also, with his positive drug test, will he come back on the NFL's substance abuse program? he is probably going to have to prove that he can stay out of trouble for a year or two as a back up before he get's his shot. after that he is 30, will he still have the same legs he did as a 24 year old? also, let's be honest here, he wasn't exactly the best passer in the league.

exact same scenario, except replace Vick with a different nfl superstar, say peyton manning. don't you think it also would have been all over the news?

Probably...

But my stance wouldn't change....

It got too much coverage...

PETA or HS? J/K :D

PETA sucks but I do frequently contribute to the ASPCA.........and I sure as **** don't make any apologies for that......... :D

Probably...

But my stance wouldn't change....

It got too much coverage...

it comes with the territory of being a superstar in the number 1 sport in the US. Vick wasn't only the face of the franchise, he was one of the faces of the NFL.

PETA are hypocrites who used vick to catapult their agenda to the limelight, and I am assuming that it wasn't an athlete, so there goes ESPN. AJC would have no reason to cover it. who is kelly naqi?

ESPN chick who followed Vick.

The point is..we don't chant "Free the other 3" because we don't even know who they are. They were a side show. How come noone talks about the criminal cousin, who started all of this legal matter? Because he became irrelevant. Vick was the drawing card for publicity. I'm not excusing the act of Dogfighting. I'm just stating, that dogfights are happening as we speak...matter of fact, one is happening within 10 miles of you. Yet, we haven't heard one National mention of the "henious act of dogfighting" since Vick was convicted.

Vick became the poster child, for what should have been a "where's waldo" photo.

PETA sucks but I do frequently contribute to the ASPCA.........and I sure as **** don't make any apologies for that......... :D

As well you shouldn't...

It just so happens today that as I was driving down the interstate, I saw a black labrador retriever out on the shoulder soaking up the shade...

The interstates in ths area are fenced going in both directions, so he was either a runaway or a stranded victim...

I pulled off the highway and contacted the local animal control...

I didn't want him getting hit and/or causing a massive accident on a major interstate...

I hope they got him...he looked like a great specimen...probably someone's pet...

ASPCA, don't they eat dogs? :huh:

The point is..we don't chant "Free the other 3" because we don't even know who they are. They were a side show. How come noone talks about the criminal cousin, who started all of this legal matter? Because he became irrelevant. Vick was the drawing card for publicity. I'm not excusing the act of Dogfighting. I'm just stating, that dogfights are happening as we speak...matter of fact, one is happening within 10 miles of you. Yet, we haven't heard one National mention of the "henious act of dogfighting" since Vick was convicted.

Vick became the poster child, for what should have been a "where's waldo" photo.

not only that, we didn't hear about it before either... it's b/c of vick's celebrity. vick should have known that being the superstar that he was he should have stayed out of trouble, especially like that.

I don't dispute any of that, but that's just the celebrity-worshipping, celebrity-destroying culture we live in....

Case in point right now:

Both Farrah Fawcett and Patrick Swayze are fighting certain terminal cancers right now and probably don't have long left to live. TV specials, incessant coverage on both of them, but there are thousands and thousands of other people valiantly fighting the same disease every day, some I'm sure who have probably contributed more to this world and their community than either of these two celebrities did.

Not a slam against Fawcett or Swayze, just a comment on what being a celebrity can buy or take away from you.

not only that, we didn't hear about it before either... it's b/c of vick's celebrity. vick should have known that being the superstar that he was he should have stayed out of trouble, especially like that.

Wholefully agree.

I just can't discount his upbringing and the influence of childhood friends.

I don't dispute any of that, but that's just the celebrity-worshipping, celebrity-destroying culture we live in....

Case in point right now:

Both Farrah Fawcett and Patrick Swayze are fighting certain terminal cancers right now and probably don't have long left to live. TV specials, incessant coverage on both of them, but there are thousands and thousands of other people valiantly fighting the same disease every day, some I'm sure who have probably contributed more to this world and their community than either of these two celebrities did.

Not a slam against Fawcett or Swayze, just a comment on what being a celebrity can buy or take away from you.

Good post.

i just don't see a franchise betting the farm on vick day 1 out of jail. he has a history of making poor choices. also, with his positive drug test, will he come back on the NFL's substance abuse program? he is probably going to have to prove that he can stay out of trouble for a year or two as a back up before he get's his shot. after that he is 30, will he still have the same legs he did as a 24 year old? also, let's be honest here, he wasn't exactly the best passer in the league.

Vick will do whatever he has to do. Nobody is betting the farm on him Day 1 or day 101. He will have to take whatever opportunity arises and make the best of it.

At 30 Vick will probably have close to the same speed because he is a QB and his legs and more importanly body havent taken the pounding. Hopefully he into a system where they coach up his passing skills, footwork and technique.

I think he will be a valuable backup wherever he goes and could eventually become a starter.

Its simply the guy has undeniable talent. Somebody will give him a shot.

Vick will do whatever he has to do. Nobody is betting the farm on him Day 1 or day 101. He will have to take whatever opportunity arises and make the best of it.

At 30 Vick will probably have close to the same speed because he is a QB and his legs and more importanly body havent taken the pounding. Hopefully he into a system where they coach up his passing skills, footwork and technique.

I think he will be a valuable backup wherever he goes and could eventually become a starter.

Its simply the guy has undeniable talent. Somebody will give him a shot.

Agree with this.......and he should get another shot. I'm pulling for him.