Senseless Football Cliches

We let the core of the defense go.

Need I remind everyone that we were 26th in defense last season? The core of a 26th ranked defense isn't a group I want hanging out in Flowery Branch right now.

Believe it was 24th, but i agree. But i'm sure you'll have people saying but, but we were 11th in scoring defense, you know, the "bend but

don't break Break" philosophy. :P

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"Any Given Sunday".

That one is the WORST. Basically it's someone saying, "I know my team sucks, but they COULD win if everything goes right."

The phrase Any Given Sunday isn't used by bad teams saying they can win if ebverything goes right, it is used by good teams when facing bad opponents so they focus in and not have a let down. It is true btw, on Any Given Sunday any team can win. This is probably the one that is the most true statement.

Or i know my team is so good, but . How about "intangibles", i don't recall hearing this term prior to last season as it relates

to football. Can anyone tell me if this is something that TD/Smitty introduced to everyone last season?? I don't know but i'm

hearing that alot this year, ''this guy has all the intantibles"., etc. ;);)

I've been watching football for over 20 years and I have heard intangibles used over that entire span. Nothing knew.

Believe it was 24th, but i agree. But i'm sure you'll have people saying but, but we were 11th in scoring defense, you know, the "bend but

don't break Break" philosophy. :P

Part of why we were 11th in scoring is because our offense did well in holding on to the ball keeping opposing offenses off the field. They didn't turn it over too many times either. As far as the bend but don't break philosophy, that is only used when you lack speed on defense like we did last year. The philosophy is to keep everything in front of you and come up and make tackles. It is used to keep the other team from making big plays and scoring quickly. What it does if you are somewhat successful at it as we were last year is it keeps the score down and keeps you in the game. Trust me, this is not a philosophy that Smitty and Van Gorder will continue to use. They like running an aggressive defense that is technically sound. That is what Smitty ran in Jacksonville and that is what Van Gorder ran at UGA.

Part of why we were 11th in scoring is because our offense did well in holding on to the ball keeping opposing offenses off the field. They didn't turn it over too many times either. As far as the bend but don't break philosophy, that is only used when you lack speed on defense like we did last year. The philosophy is to keep everything in front of you and come up and make tackles. It is used to keep the other team from making big plays and scoring quickly. What it does if you are somewhat successful at it as we were last year is it keeps the score down and keeps you in the game. Trust me, this is not a philosophy that Smitty and Van Gorder will continue to use. They like running an aggressive defense that is technically sound. That is what Smitty ran in Jacksonville and that is what Van Gorder ran at UGA.

:D:lol::lol: Ghost man, let it go, you the only one trying to have a serious conversation in this thread. :lol:

Oh, but don't you go getting all serious on me. i personally don't agree with the "bend don't break" and i agree with you on that.

The boys had me plenty scared on the defensive side of the ball with that crap.

Oh, but don't you go getting all serious on me. i personally don't agree with the "bend don't break" and i agree with you on that.

The boys had me plenty scared on the defensive side of the ball with that crap.

I forgot what I quoted but I agreed with you on everything. Just thought I'd explain the bend but5 don't break D. Sorry for the seriousness. Like I said, I was just bored.

Well now youngster, been watching the Falcons for about 43 years and prior to last year don't recall hearing Iit.

Maybe we should conduct a poll :P :P

lol. I guess I am a youngster still huh? We had a topic on this a while back and I had sopme others that have heard it too. Was a month or so, don't remember who was all in the thread. Doesn't really matter though. Poll's are fun. :D

quote name='Ghost Rider' date='May 12 2009, 05:17 PM' post='4722692']

I forgot what I quoted but I agreed with you on everything. Just thought I'd explain the bend but5 don't break D. Sorry for the seriousness. Like I said, I was just bored.

No prob, but on a serious note - i really never every heard this player or that player had all the intangibles prior to last year.

Also, kindly defne" it", I think i've heard some of the talking heads saying this player has "it "just in the span of the last two

weeks. Whassup with that?? :D:D

Glad to see that you are feeling better

Thanks. I just started feeling better today. I just got the extra energy and just typing away.

As far as cliche's I don't like, the sophomore slump. I think that is created because of lack of preparation. It is self made. Ryan works too hard for that to happen to him. You can reference him to what Peyton did. Same type of work ethic and Peyton was so much better his second year. I had to throw at least one in here since I was crashing the cliche party. :D

quote name='Ghost Rider' date='May 12 2009, 05:17 PM' post='4722692']

No prob, but on a serious note - i really never every heard this player or that player had all the intangibles prior to last year.

Also, kindly defne" it", I think i've heard some of the talking heads saying this player has "it "just in the span of the last two

weeks. Whassup with that?? :D:D

The "it" factor and intangibles are very similar. It mostly has to do with the hora around a person. Leadership qualities, understanding of the game, work ethic, the ability to raise everyone's play around him. Stuff like that. It has nothing to do with his physical gift even though that is needed. It has everything to do with being a natural leader. Kind of like the Michael Jordan's of the world. I normally hear intangible's from guys like Kiper and Mayock around draft time and always about QB's. They aren't always right but that is where I've heard it. I can't really say I have heard a team ever say it before and definitely not anyone that has been in our FO. TD and Smitty use it a lot because those are the type of guys they look for. Not necessarily the guy that puts up great measurables but just loves the game, works hard and leads others through all that. Kind of harder to explain than I would have thought. Guys to compare to would be Peyton, Brady, Montana, Elway and guys like that. Jerry Rice had it, Gonzo has a ton of it. I don't know if this was really a great explanation or not.

Thanks. I just started feeling better today. I just got the extra energy and just typing away.

As far as cliche's I don't like, the sophomore slump. I think that is created because of lack of preparation. It is self made. Ryan works too hard for that to happen to him. You can reference him to what Peyton did. Same type of work ethic and Peyton was so much better his second year. I had to throw at least one in here since I was crashing the cliche party. :D

Bank on it ! You didn't get the memo ;);) "all the opposing teams on our schedule will finally have tape on him" :P

Bank on it ! You didn't get the memo ;);) "all the opposing teams on our schedule will finally have tape on him" :P

That's funny. I missed the memo. Good thing he is studying tape now on them so he too can get better. B)

I say Bring them on. That is what Smitty said at the state of the franchise about out tough schedule. You have to love that. It reminds me of my of high school coach getting us fired up.

The "it" factor and intangibles are very similar. It mostly has to do with the hora around a person. Leadership qualities, understanding of the game, work ethic, the ability to raise everyone's play around him. Stuff like that. It has nothing to do with his physical gift even though that is needed. It has everything to do with being a natural leader. Kind of like the Michael Jordan's of the world. I normally hear intangible's from guys like Kiper and Mayock around draft time and always about QB's. They aren't always right but that is where I've heard it. I can't really say I have heard a team ever say it before and definitely not anyone that has been in our FO. TD and Smitty use it a lot because those are the type of guys they look for. Not necessarily the guy that puts up great measurables but just loves the game, works hard and leads others through all that. Kind of harder to explain than I would have thought. Guys to compare to would be Peyton, Brady, Montana, Elway and guys like that. Jerry Rice had it, Gonzo has a ton of it. I don't know if this was really a great explanation or not.

Israeli round dance :o:o Or did you mean Aura?? :lol:

I think you guys are underestimating that a little bit.

Ryan was normalized just like Flacco in the last four or five games. Mainly because a bunch of expert defensive guys had tape on them.

If you recall, Ryan struggled in his last few games. Mainly because he got way more pressure. He didn't react to it very well. In fact, he started feeling phantom pressure all of a sudden.

Still he made enough plays to go 3-1 in those games. Wins are all I really care about and he has the skills to win. Take away Dahl, Milloy and Brooking's last gaffs and he would have gone to the second round in his rookie year. Trust me. He is a player.

But there is tape on him. You can bet that's what he's talking about when he says I can improve on the speed of my reads. He and McClure better fix their silent count tendancies too cause Billicheck and others now have the ARI tape.

FalconFanSince... I must say that you are precisely one of the people that I rail against in the Falcons fanbase, which is someone who preaches from the pulpit of "true football knowledge" and such, but in reality, all I usually hear from you is doom and gloom. You've become a conditioned loser due simply to the fact that the Falcons have been just that for years and years. I mean since 1970 is a long time to be a fan, to never see back to back seasons, but let's get serious for a second...never once on any Falcons team have you had the pieces that this team has now, and yet you still preach the doom and gloom sermon. Stop for once, and notice that the sun is coming up tomorrow and it's coming up in Flowery Branch...it's a new day, a new team, and simply...time for a new attitude.

And as for teams having film on Ryan...There's tons of film on Brady, and Manning...so take that as you will.