All this blah blah about a "hard" schedule

Last year the Falcon's O-line could not block the rush by itself, they had to hold the TE in to help with the blocking.

This year they have a pass receiving TE who will be sent out in pass patterns --- Yea??

It's the same O-Line and now they must block much much better defensive rushers.

How are they going to do that with one less blocker???

I don't know DD. Peppers, Davis, Gamble, Beason, Smith, Muh, Williams, Stewart, Delhomme, and the entire OL. VS: Abe, Peterson, Lofton, White, Jenks, Turner, Norwood, Ryan, and our entire OL.

I think they have the better running game and clearly the better defense on paper. If they stay healthy they will be a force. I'm shocked to not see them in the top 10 in powerpolls so far. People are acting like Delhomme is done. The fact is he just came off of shoulder surgery last season, and that's likely why he had such a down year. The dude's job is to throw it up to Smith and hand it off to the best RB duo in football. I'm not sold at all with the Panther's coming in as a lesser team than the falcons. Add another year of chemistry to the whole team and they should be well improved on last season.

We could definitely argue about the running game. We were #2 last year and we have a perfect compliment to our feature back.

J. Delhomme is becoming more inconsistent and I think at this stage of his career he cant conquer the "big game moments"

With that said Carolina won the division last year and as you mentioned brought back most of their starters so I believe its gonna be a dogfight for the title this year.

Last year the Falcon's O-line could not block the rush by itself, they had to hold the TE in to help with the blocking.

This year they have a pass receiving TE who will be sent out in pass patterns --- Yea??

It's the same O-Line and now they must block much much better defensive rushers.

How are they going to do that with one less blocker???

We sent the TEs out in patterns last year. Simply they werent that adept to getting open and Ryan choosed better receiving options like White, Douglas and Jenkins.

We are adding a weapon in T. Gonzalez, that in no ways subtracts from our offense. He is a very capable blocker.

Not to mention that we will be using lots of 2 TE sets this year so while Gonzalez will be running a route we still have the option of keeping a TE in to block.

But to put that $2 TE in the game you must take a WR or an RB out and then have one less target

that is the same as have 1 TE and Keeping him

But to put that $2 TE in the game you must take a WR or an RB out and then have one less target

T. Gonazalez will be lined up in various spots in the 2TE sets. It wont just be the traditional in line 2TE set. Tony will be flanked, split out and used in the slot as well.

2TE sets usually mean no fullback so you still have 2WR, 2TE, 1RB, 1QB, 5OL

It's not the same because the new target is a major upgrade. With a 1 back set you take out Ovie but you add in Gonzalez and you still have Peele or Hartsock to block. Hey, nothing's perfect but we have lots more options this year. The point is that I don't anticipate seeing a drop off in offensive line performance as compared to last year. It's clearly a better situation across the board.

Carolina has improved by not losing anyone significant. They are bringing back 10 of 11 starters on defense along with the amazing RB duo, Smith, the stellar OL, and a deep WR corp. There's too much homerism on these boards for any of us to hear the other side, which is that the Panthers are coming in the year as the best team in the division.

Their defense isnt nearly as good, they have a bumb QB, and they only have 1 WR. I think the Panters are the 3rd best in the NFC south, and of course there is homerism, its an ATL message board.

T. Gonazalez will be lined up in various spots in the 2TE sets. It wont just be the traditional in line 2TE set. Tony will be flanked, split out and used in the slot as well.

2TE sets usually mean no fullback so you still have 2WR, 2TE, 1RB, 1QB, 5OL

But if Ovie goes out you lose the best blocker and bring in lesser blocker in Hartsock or Peelle.

It's not the same because the new target is a major upgrade. With a 1 back set you take out Ovie but you add in Gonzalez and you still have Peele or Hartsock to block. Hey, nothing's perfect but we have lots more options this year. The point is that I don't anticipate seeing a drop off in offensive line performance as compared to last year. It's clearly a better situation across the board.

So you take your best blocker (Ovie) out and then use a lesser talented Blocker( Hartsock or Peelle) Why ????

My concern is the Defenses the Falcons face this season will have better defensive players and a better rush than they saw last year, (for most games). Last year they had to keep in that extra blocker (TE) in in order to give Ryan time to make his throws. Using a 2 TE set does not add an additional blocker it just changes the blocker from the FB or RB to the #2TE. Same number of blockers. It you pull a WR and use the #! TE as a receiver then you still have the same # of receivers going out.

Thus you end up with 1. one less blocker, 2. switch blockers, or 3. one less receiver in a T2 TE set. so what is the big advantage???

So you take your best blocker (Ovie) out and then use a lesser talented Blocker( Hartsock or Peelle) Why ????

To be able to throw the ball to the best TE of all time.

Using a 2 TE set does not add an additional blocker it just changes the blocker from the FB or RB to the #2TE. Same number of blockers

It does change the positioning - The TE blocking the DE will give more time to release the ball than the FB where the DE already has a head of steam.

Same number of blockers. It you pull a WR and use the #! TE as a receiver then you still have the same # of receivers going out.

Same number of receivers but far different quality. Gonzales presents more matchup problems to solve than Harry Douglas. Put a nickle back on him, I like my chances. Put a linebacker on him, I really like my chances. Double cover him, fine I'll take my chances with Roddy, Jenkins or Norwood out of the backfield. Creating mismatches is exactly what this is all about. This is why the coaches keep saying that the addition of Tony Gonzales is going to help the entire offense. If all of this doesn't make sense, you'll see for yourself in September.

Thus you end up with 1. one less blocker, 2. switch blockers, or 3. one less receiver in a T2 TE set. so what is the big advantage???

Again, it's so you have the option of throwing to the best TE to ever play the game.

Plus, it's not like the Falcons are going to run the 2 TE set and nothing else. They will run the I, they will run 3WR sets, they will run 2TE, you'll probably even see some 4WR. The point is that we have more options than we did last season, the main ingredient is adding a hall of fame TE. That will by far negate any perceived advantage of the better defenses we'll face. Not to mention that Ryan himself will be much better. The Ryan I saw on Saturday vs the Ryan I saw exactly one year ago is night and day. He's more accurate, he's getting rid of the ball faster and with more zip on it. The linemen said it themselves that Ryan is a big reason that the sack numbers were down vs. previous years.

Plus, it's not like the Falcons are going to run the 2 TE set and nothing else. They will run the I, they will run 3WR sets, they will run 2TE, you'll probably even see some 4WR. The point is that we have more options than we did last season, the main ingredient is adding a hall of fame TE. That will by far negate any perceived advantage of the better defenses we'll face. Not to mention that Ryan himself will be much better. The Ryan I saw on Saturday vs the Ryan I saw exactly one year ago is night and day. He's more accurate, he's getting rid of the ball faster and with more zip on it. The linemen said it themselves that Ryan is a big reason that the sack numbers were down vs. previous years.

But you are still using the same old O_line that was hard pressed to do the job without that extra blocker. This year the Defenses will be even harder to stop (Better players on these teams)

But if Ovie goes out you lose the best blocker and bring in lesser blocker in Hartsock or Peelle.

You bring in a 2 dimensional player when you have a TE like Peele in. Hartsock has been an H-back before and was used more like a fullback earlier in his career.

Ovie is a great Run blocker but pass blocking is another thing. Hartsock is probably the best blocker.

But you are still using the same old O_line that was hard pressed to do the job without that extra blocker. This year the Defenses will be even harder to stop (Better players on these teams)

No offense but that's kind of ridiculous. This "same old O line that was hard pressed to do the job" were the 5th best offensive line in the NFL with respect to sacks given up. They gave up 17 sacks on the year compared to 47 the year before. The best was Denver with 12 the worst was SF with 55. We were the 2nd leading rushing team in the NFL. I'll take that kind of shoddy old O line any day.

In my opinion the biggest difference between last year and previous years is that we now have a top notch offensive line coach. Now in his 2nd year with the same guys we will be even better.

2008 Sack Stats

I'm not worried about our offense. We'll put up points, thing is can we stop the other team from doing the same? We lost our best corner to free agency. We have lots of small corners. Yet the WR's we face look like this: Colston 2 times, Smith 2 times, T.O, Randy Moss, Crabtree, Roy Williams, Baskett, Maclin, Bryant, Clayton. Do we have a corner that can play physical enough with them at the line? I don't think we do honestly, and hope we can slow some passing games down. If we can't find a guy in camp or free agency that can bust heads at the LOS, then it could be a very long season. That's why I'm curious why we didn't take one physical, big corner, especially when 2 very good ones were available at our pick in the first and second round.

No offense but that's kind of ridiculous. This "same old O line that was hard pressed to do the job" were the 5th best offensive line in the NFL with respect to sacks given up. They gave up 17 sacks on the year compared to 47 the year before. The best was Denver with 12 the worst was SF with 55. We were the 2nd leading rushing team in the NFL. I'll take that kind of shoddy old O line any day.

In my opinion the biggest difference between last year and previous years is that we now have a top notch offensive line coach. Now in his 2nd year with the same guys we will be even better.

2008 Sack Stats

And do you think they would have done that without the help of the TE as a blocker?

I'm not against using a TE as a receiver Michell is my 3rd all time favorite falcon (Nobis, Van Note). And I'm not against a 2TE set. I remember a game many years where the Chiefs used a 2 TE set against the falcons all game and beat the socks of of us. But they did running the ball.

I am concerned that we did not make any improvements to the startrers on the O-line and the teams this year are much better than last year.

We still have the TE as a blocker. We have lost nothing. We have gained. Signing a new OL is not the only way to improve. We improve in experience in the system, usually there is a good jump in the 2nd year of a system. We obviously have upgraded the TE position. A healthy Baker is like signing someone new (hopefully he can stay healthy). Ryan is going to better, make quicker reads, make even better decisions, especially since defenses will have to pick their poison now. He's not going to become less elusive. What worked last year against us won't work as well this year. So maybe the defenses are better, but we will have improved too. What's the 1st thing Mike Smith said after the Arizona game? "We will get better".

Time will tell, but I think the only thing that can slow this offense down is injuries.