Falcons' Anderson hoping for breakout year

Statick

Guest Gritz
I think he did hear SOME of it.......... but the fact this coaching staff has not been shy about cutting/benching players who are under performing probably hasa bit more to do with it.

I would definitely agree with that.

There's probably nothing more motivating to a player than the possibility of losing your starter's status or being cut....... ;)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally!!!! I have been waiting 3 years to here about him dedicating himself to the film room and weight room. Hopefully the light came on for him and he has a breakout year. Still pulling for him because he is after all a Falcon.

This has got to be the year for him. He was in the area much of last season. Just a step to slow or out of position. I'm glad to hear that he's been studious and working on the explosiveness. With Jerry or Lewis in there and Abe on the other end...it might be scary this year for opposing QB's if his light has truly come on.

If anything can wake him up and improve him, the Coaching staff we have can and will. They are light years ahead of what he had during his rookie years, and I think he has finally found out that the pros are not like college. McKay drafted him way too early, he was a developmental player instead of a first round QB killing machine. I hope he has developed and will have a monster year, and it is more likely than ever because it sounds like he has grown up like Roddy did. We shall see, if he doesn't do well this year, then it would not surprise me to see him cut by next year by this staff.

I would definitely agree with that.

There's probably nothing more motivating to a player than the possibility of losing your starter's status or being cut....... ;)

no doubt, I think that was the biggest factor...... and the fact he is older.

I know I was a lot different at 23 then I was at 21, and I am different at 28 then I was at 25.

I think people forget just how young a lot of these guys are.

I can suffice it to say that Jamaal Anderson's sister hates me... ^_^

Good read. Glad to know that everyone, including JA98, realizes just how serious this season is for him.

In the other article PY suggests that JA98 and the Falcons expect 6-8 sacks.. If he is right, then this article will be validated. If not, no one will remember anything written here about offseason film work, or extra motivation. Its easy to do extra work when you stink it up and are on the verge of being remembered for all the wrong reasons.

One thing that is mentioned in the article, and cannot be understated is P-R-O-D-U-C-T-I-O-N..

AKA Sacks and TFL

With all the comparisons to Roddy White all I can say is that I hope he has a very Roddy-like 3rd year...
I 'd even take a Roddy White 1st year. Roddy led the team in ypc in his first year. Exactly what we drafted him for.

He needs a Roddy like 3rd year just to equal Kerney's first three year production. Roddy and Kerney both were drafted at least 19 slots later.

When he stated how he noticed how the other DE like Strahan and Greene used their hands, I could have fell out of my chair.

I've been saying how that was his problem since he's been a Falcon. He's got the size, strength and the speed. His hand violence is what's holding him back.

Once he gets that down, he'll be a force.

I posted a topic last year stating the same thing. I stated that many DE in the NFL take martial arts classes to apply the hand movement principles in martial arts to the NFL. It kind of a new trend. Althought I'm glad he is working on this, I just don't understand why he is just now starting to focus on this. Should have been doing this from day one.

I can't get too excited about Anderson supposedly working hard. We've heard it before. Before the start of last season he said how the thought of breaking out had "consumed him" and how he was working so much harder. Truth is he didn't even come close to having a breakout season. And so I take articles like this with a grain of salt. The way to approach the Anderson situation is to expect nothing and whatever you get is gravy. Because at this point, far, far more players who have struggled like Anderson have don't ever break out than do.

I hope he has an amazing season, I'm just not expecting it. And articles like this don't change my mind at all. You read articles like this on multiple players on every team in every sport. Very few of those players actually significantly improve their game.

When he was drafted most scouting services considered him to be a "developemental DE".

Well year one was with Petrino. Nothing developed for anyone associated with the team that year except some fever blisters.

Year two saw coach Smith come to town with coach Hamilton and even JA98 worst critic would say he was better in 08 than 07.

I'm looking at 09 as his 2nd year in development as the Pigtrino year was just a waste for everyone.

I think that there is some value to what Finally said......I mean it was very clear in the article that Anderson was hearing what was being said about him.

Was that a motivating factor in his supposed attitude change? The article made it sound like it was.

Sorry but I respectfully disagree. if you read this quote "I try my hardest not to pay attention to what's said, but it's pretty much impossible to tune everything out," Anderson said. "My sister's into gossip and she tries to give me feedback that's out there, but all I can do is trust the people who are here every day and they're giving me positive feedback. But the fact is, I've become my own worst critic." yes he understands there is criticism of him out there but he is his own worst critic and has chosen to do try and do something with his talent. Now I can't explain why he has waited till now other then he is seeing the way the team has drafted it is telling him to step up his game or else.

This along with this quote from Finally "All of the feel good hippies who want to coddle him do not realize they were only enabling him. " and the part in red from J.A.'s quote imply that he appreciates people who give him positive feedback rather then negative and that it is not coddling him but rather supporting him.

When he was drafted most scouting services considered him to be a "developemental DE".

Well year one was with Petrino. Nothing developed for anyone associated with the team that year except some fever blisters.

Year two saw coach Smith come to town with coach Hamilton and even JA98 worst critic would say he was better in 08 than 07.

I'm looking at 09 as his 2nd year in development as the Pigtrino year was just a waste for everyone.

Totally false statement. When he was drafted only Gaines Adams was rated higher as a DE. He was mentioned with the other players drafted around him LaRon Landry, Carriker etc. Don't try to revise history. It is what it is.

Guest Gritz
Totally false statement. When he was drafted only Gaines Adams was rated higher as a DE. He was mentioned with the other players drafted around him LaRon Landry, Carriker etc. Don't try to revise history. It is what it is.

Yeah, I'm with ya on this.

I don't remember McKay or anyone else associated with the Falcons at the time using the word "developmental" to describe Anderson before or after they drafted him.

I don't remember McKay or anyone else associated with the Falcons at the time using the word "developmental" to describe Anderson before or after they drafted him.

Appreciate it Gritz, I am all for having conversation about Jamaal or any other player but I can't stand when people try to "tweak" the truth. Hopefully Jamaal mans up this year. What I am hearing is all good, we will see if it translates onto the football field. I remember when he was first drafted I was so pumped to see him perform and was bitterly let down. This year I am starting to get a little more of that excitement back to see him get it done on the field.

I still hold hard feelings about him loafing after signing a huge top ten contract. I don't care if he is young or what there is no excuse for that. Abe should have had a private beat down on Jamaal his first year to take care of that.

"hoping" - key word.

He is "hoping", not assuring. Not stating will happen. Just hoping.

Take your 2 hands and poop in one of them. Then hope for something in the other. Now tell me what you got.

So, what happened when you did it? :lol:

Which is, unfortunately , the problem. He should have known that.

On the other hand, McKay got a sweet contract written- granted that he's getting paid too much for his production- but only 15 mil guaranteed. That's over 5 years, and its loaded with incentives that are "unlikely to be earned". there's a manageable cap hit if they have to cut him after this year- they could easily be on the hook for another 20 million for a #8 pick.

As long as TD picks em and Mckay signs em, we got a good thing going here.

Ummm did you not read the stuff about him prior to the draft......... he was rated as high as Adams but he WAS considered a raw play who needed more time at the position nearly every thing wrote about him mentioned either "raw" or "upside"

http://football.about.com/od/nflplayerprof...aalanderson.htm

http://pit.scout.com/a.z?s=68&p=8&...amp;nid=2707986

http://sports.outsidethebeltway.com/2007/0...amaal-anderson/

just a few pieces..........

Just McKay did not say he was developmental player it does not mean he was not.

but like you said "do not try to revise history"

When you read about Anderson before the draft the words that popped up a lot were "raw" and "upside".

I can't get too excited about Anderson supposedly working hard. We've heard it before. Before the start of last season he said how the thought of breaking out had "consumed him" and how he was working so much harder. Truth is he didn't even come close to having a breakout season. And so I take articles like this with a grain of salt. The way to approach the Anderson situation is to expect nothing and whatever you get is gravy. Because at this point, far, far more players who have struggled like Anderson have don't ever break out than do.

I hope he has an amazing season, I'm just not expecting it. And articles like this don't change my mind at all. You read articles like this on multiple players on every team in every sport. Very few of those players actually significantly improve their game.

Of course not because you lack any semblance or rational thought. When it comes to him

But when Chuck Smith made a mention of something that supported what you perceived to be the truth oh it was validation for you. On how lazy Anderson is and how he is not a good player how he had not skills or ability and blah blah blah............. yet when Smith was complimentary about Anderson you again dismissed it

You are the same putz who said and I para quoting..... maybe not exact words but **** close to it

" The coaching staff has decided they will never get any pass rush from Anderson so they move him inside to tackle"

Well guess what as of this past camp guess who lined up as starter at end?

Appreciate it Gritz, I am all for having conversation about Jamaal or any other player but I can't stand when people try to "tweak" the truth. Hopefully Jamaal mans up this year. What I am hearing is all good, we will see if it translates onto the football field. I remember when he was first drafted I was so pumped to see him perform and was bitterly let down. This year I am starting to get a little more of that excitement back to see him get it done on the field.

I still hold hard feelings about him loafing after signing a huge top ten contract. I don't care if he is young or what there is no excuse for that. Abe should have had a private beat down on Jamaal his first year to take care of that.

I'm not tweaking anything but your memory. Take a second to do some research and you will find the JA98 only had two season playing DE in college. He was converted from WR/TE his Soph season at Arkansas and came out after his Jr season.

Most Scouting services felt he would need a season or two of good coaching before he could reach his potential. His first season he never received anything resembling good coaching. Last season he seemd to improve some.

Only found one archieved scouting report with a quick search.

Warroom report, but it is pretty much a cut and paste of several others from 2007.

Strengths:

Anderson made the unusual switch from a top prep WR to an elite defensive end. He uses his long arms and athletic frame to get by offensive tackles. Anderson has the quick first step needed to rush the passer and uses his agility to make tackles in the open field. He has good feet and is able to make plays even when knocked off balance. Though not bulky, he has the necessary strength not to be liability in the rushing game.

Weaknesses:

Anderson needs to improve his technique, especially using his hands to keep offensive lineman off of him. He needs to learn to effectively use pass rushing moves. Despite being 288, he is just filling out and needs to add more bulk and muscle to maintain leverage against the strongest of offensive lineman. Anderson sometimes is too intent on getting upfield and will go exceedingly wide, which opens his side up to screen plays.

Overall:

.Jamaal Anderson made a living in the backfields of opposing SEC offenses in the 2006 season, racking up 19.5 TFL and 13.5 sacks. He uses his athletic frame, combined with above average agility, to easily handle slower offensive tackles. It will be interesting to see how Anderson handles the best offensive lineman at the next level. He is still developing as a player and has a very high upside if he can fill out and add strength while maintain his quickness. His technique should improve with NFL coaching and by all accounts he is a smart football player who works very hard on and off the field.

You are EXPECTED to come in and contribute in some form and fashion early and often as a #8 overall pick. Heck, by year 2 you should be locking down your side of responsibility.

In 30+ games JA has less than 5 TFL's, and 2 sacks. He isnt any good in pass rushing, and is not even average at run defense(not saying some of our other DE's are that much better at run stopping, but that isnt saying much).

We all want him to succeed and become the player we thought(and every scouting analyst pertaining to the NFL) thought he could be. Problem is that he hasnt shown much towards that end.

Maybe year 3 is the charm....but normally developmental guys at least have 'flashes' of potential.

Closest thing JA has flashed so far is the crack of his fat ***.

We reached for J. Anderson because he was the Best DE prospect out there and also ranked as the BPA. P. Willis was a more productive and proven player but we had a glaring need at DE and combined with JA's upside we had to take him.

He is still developing and a lot of people are gonna have to "eat crow" by the end of the year.