Who else thinks Stafford is going to be a bust?

hakim24

He has the arm and all, but I watched a bunch of Georgia games and wasn't overly impressed. I never wish bad on a player, but going into that detroit situation is almost like throwing yourself in a room full of hungry pit bulls.

Those type contracts make me cringe and be thankful that we don't have to hand that type of money out to another unproven player.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which one of you internet geniuses picked Harrington as a bust prior to the draft? Huh?

i didnt say i called it that Joey was gonna be a bust, my point was that your statement about Detroit watching more tape is not valid because people can look good (at the combine and on tape) and still be busts. I was just using Joey Harrington as an example.

i didnt say i called it that Joey was gonna be a bust, my point was that your statement about Detroit watching more tape is not valid because people can look good (at the combine and on tape) and still be busts. I was just using Joey Harrington as an example.

And I was pointing out just how meaningless the OP not being impressed by watching a few UGA games is.

If I were the Detroit Lions I never would have drafted Harrington. That pick of Harrington still to this day is one of the silliest moves I have ever seen in a draft and if I were the GM of the Lions I wouldn't have done it.

BUT on the other hand the reason that I wouldn't have done it is because I thought that Mike McMahon was going to be the way to go. I was impressed with the way that McMahon lead the Lions back against the might Packers on Thanksgiving day and I thought he was going to be a good pro.

As for Stafford I have never been impressed with him and if I were Detroit I would stay away. He just seems to be missing something as far as leadership and the ability to lead his team during the crucial times of the game.

He seems to blend in rather than stand out when the game is on the line.

This contract will be the biggest he ever gets and I would be shocked if he stays on the Lions the whole six years.

One thing though is that my dad continuously told me from the first day we saw Stafford, "Son that kid will be the #1 pick when he comes out" and he wasn't wrong.

stafford has his cannon and a receiver who will be able to make plays on his sometimes inaccurate passes...emphasis on sometimes...

There are many cases where receivers make quarterbacks look good and vice versa...Staff. has the middle ground...He will have a LOT of work ahead him...

but anyway...

Matt Ryan > Sanchez > Stafford xD <personal opinion

and Kodi Burns > Stafford....lol Im an Auburn fan and I even lol'd at myself <JK'ing!

He has the arm and all, but I watched a bunch of Georgia games and wasn't overly impressed. I never wish bad on a player, but going into that detroit situation is almost like throwing yourself in a room full of hungry pit bulls.

Those type contracts make me cringe and be thankful that we don't have to hand that type of money out to another unproven player.

For being picked overall #1 I will join you hakim and say that I think Stafford wont live up to his expectations. Their whole system is in shambles right now and that would be rough even for an exceptional player.

i dont think he will be a bust UNLESS he plays year one. he needs a year of patient development and coaching, and daunte should be more than capable of stop-gapping for a year while he does that. if he starts as a rookie then i think he will be a big bust just like sanchez will be if he starts as a rookie.

-Mr. Offseason

its hard to be a bust at qb with calvin johnson catching passes from you. guy made reggie ball look decent some of the time. that said, stafford will have a tough time with that tissue paper oline tho. kevin smith can hardly take pressure off of stafford either since their run blocking is almost as bad as their pass protection.

I don't know what qualifies as a bust, but I think Stafford will prove to be a disappointment. IMO, he made some poor in game decisions at UGA, and the NFL isn't going to be any easier for him. I think Matthew should enjoy his $40M, cause I don't see him having a stellar career. I'm not hatin', either. If I'm totally wrong and Stafford turns out to be a stud and leads DET to a SB, I'll be happy for him. I just think that if came out last year, he's a late 1st round, maybe 2nd round pick.

You must have missed the off-season changes and acquisitions.

Of course they did. They don't know jack about the situation in Detroit, all they know is what the talking heads at ESPN constantly say: "tough situation." They haven't paid attention to what Detroit already has in place, and the changes that have been made. Sometimes I think half the people here still think Matt Millen is running the show. Just goes to show how some people here will offer their opinion on any subject, even if they are uneducated on it.

The Detroit Lions watched more Georgia games than you did. Not to mention they know what they are looking at, and you don't.

We shelled out $72 million on an unproven player. You don't have a point.

Man, you have to calm down about Stafford. He might be good, he might be bad, but you jump down everyone's throat when they say he might be a bust. Mayock said it best, that when he saw Ryan and Cutler they had to bring their A game every week to win, and they did. Stafford did not, and could still win because of talent around him. I would be leery if I were a Detroit fan too.

Man, you have to calm down about Stafford. He might be good, he might be bad, but you jump down everyone's throat when they say he might be a bust. Mayock said it best, that when he saw Ryan and Cutler they had to bring their A game every week to win, and they did. Stafford did not, and could still win because of talent around him. I would be leery if I were a Detroit fan too.

What are you talking about? Maycock loves Stafford.

I took this quote from a Lions message board:

"Yeah, this might be the straw that broke this camel's back. A QB! A freakin QB. That's not anywhere near our most pressing need. Sigh. I guess I'll just wait and see what the rest of the draft brings. Might as well draft a WR, TE and RB. We might even have a pick left to draft a kicker too.

FFF@#$%^&*KKK! FFF@#$%^&*KKK! FFF@#$%^&*KKK"

Good Lord. :lol:

I say wait and see what they do at picks 20 and 33, even the third round before we declare stafford a bust or likely to bust. I don't think he's Matt Ryan good but I think he's slightly better than Flacco. If they put a decent offensive line in front of him (they're fine on the right side) then they could have a very good offense. They should definitely trade up for Oher if he's there at like pick 16 and then slide Backus inside

I say wait and see what they do at picks 20 and 33, even the third round before we declare stafford a bust or likely to bust. I don't think he's Matt Ryan good but I think he's slightly better than Flacco. If they put a decent offensive line in front of him (they're fine on the right side) then they could have a very good offense. They should definitely trade up for Oher if he's there at like pick 16 and then slide Backus inside

Matt Ryan threw 19 picks in his Senior year, and all everyone talked about was how underwhelming he was. So let's not go the "he's not Matt Ryan" route, because if you judge them by their pre-draft assessment, Matt Ryan was going to be a bust.