My Final Mock Draft

1st Round Mock Draft:

1st- Detroit- Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia- I have been on the Matt Stafford #1 overall bandwagon for a long time and I’m not going to change my mind any time soon. I think the Lions are getting a good QB here (not a great QB, but a good one) and I think that is more than worth the #1 overall. It is so hard to win a title without a good QB and the Lions defense is way too far away to be relied on like the Ravens have done in the past. I think Stafford could win a title in Detroit because while he doesn’t have great leadership he is very mentally tough and shows up in important games. He has a good understanding of coverages in my opinion and makes good reads, not to mention he has demonstrated lots of improvement in both areas. I think he has it between the ears and a good number of his interceptions I could see where he was going with the ball, they weren’t just bad throws or stupid decisions. When you can identify how or why he made a mistake I think it helps grade out the prospect and like Matt Ryan I could see why or how he ended up with some turnovers. He showed up in the 2nd half of the bowl game against Michigan State in a big way after he was just a bit off in the 1st half just like I stated he would while he was struggling during the 1st half. That was a great example of his mental toughness at least as far as I’m concerned. He is somewhat inconsistent but that is just another contributing factor to why I don’t think he will be great. I don’t see any reason he can’t be similarly productive to someone like Eli Manning (who is somewhat inconsistent) or Jay Cutler. And that is why the Lions have to make him the #1 overall pick instead of Jason Smith or Aaron Curry.

2nd- St. Louis- Jason Smith, OT, Baylor- The Rams recently released their long-time left tackle Orlando Pace so that makes this pick very obvious: It is going to be a left tackle. Even if Stafford is available here I think they would have to address the LT position. Lucky for them Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe are both worth this selection, but while I think Monroe is more well rounded I think Smith has the higher ceiling and I think that is why he will be the pick here. He is athletic enough to be a LT in a zone blocking scheme but he is developing well as a run blocker and is one of the best pass blockers at LT in the draft. He has the frame to add 10-20 pounds of weight to help improve his ability to drive block in the running game, but he can still handle defensive ends one on one because he is so quick that he gets into their pads and engages quickly and efficiently. He also has pretty long arms if I remember measurements correctly which helps keep defensive ends at bay so he can dictate the battle when in pass protection. I think he would very likely be able to start from day 1 and with a void at LT this pick just makes too much sense.

3rd- Kansas City- Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest- Scott Pioli got his QB for the #34 overall selection so there is no way Sanchez is going to be the pick here (he would have been worth a top 5 next year, but he isn’t this year) but the Chiefs sure do need help in their front 7 and Curry is such a safe selection I don’t know how they could pass on him here. He would probably be an ILB in their 3-4 defense but he is so versatile that he could play SLB for them as they begin to transition to the 3-4 from the 4-3 this year also.

4th- Seattle- Mark Sanchez, QB, Southern California- This is a new pick for me but I think the Seahawks will look to add a LT to replace Walter Jones later in the draft. I think Eugene Monroe would have been a good fit for them here, but clearly they have more confidence in him than I previously anticipated if they are prepared to draft one later. It seems that he has recovered from his knee surgery that he had earlier this year. Anyways, if they don’t pick an OT then it is between WR and QB here, and while they could pick Crabtree here I think they will be able to add a quality WR in round 2 or round 3. That leaves QB as the main target despite having Hasselbeck on the roster, but Sanchez will need a year of development before he would be ready to start anyways. I think this would be a pretty ideal landing spot for Sanchez. He would have a veteran QB in place so he would not be rushed into the starting lineup before he was ready barring an injury to Hasselbeck and he would be mentored by a successful QB and he could learn a lot of things about him. Neither of them have rocket arms but they have great intangibles, good accuracy and I think they are overall somewhat similar. Again, I think this is probably the highest Sanchez could go and I think it is an ideal landing spot for him unlike Washington or San Francisco or even New York.

5th- Cleveland- Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech- For the longest time this selection was Brian Orakpo for me but it was a very clouded pick as far as I’m concerned. They needed an upgraded pass rush, but was Orakpo worth the pick since he has never dropped back into coverage? They need a stud run defense, but I don’t consider Raji a good value here because they already have Shaun Rogers in the middle. But with Donte Stallworth’s disturbing legal troubles as well as pretty serious Braylon Edwards trade rumors I think Crabtree is the most likely selection here. Ideally the Browns would have an opportunity to add an OLB in round 2 along with either a RB or a CB with their other 2nd round selection which they received via Tampa in the Kellen Winslow trade. Crabtree has come under fire recently as a bust and I remember having similar concerns after watching his special when he was working out with Deion Sanders and Jerry Rice before the combine. He seemed so self-satisfied and care-free when in reality he was preparing for one of the most crucial time periods of his entire life. It turned out to be for naught because of his injury, but concerns have risen again about his work ethic, his coach ability and his desire to continue to improve. I would hope that he will continue to work and improve once he gets to the NFL, but I have to say I have my doubts that he will pan out as a stud WR like he is currently projected to. WR’s are well-known to be divas, so the problems with coach ability aren’t as alarming as they might be for another position such as DE. But I worry that he is already impressed with how good he is which will stunt his development once he reaches the NFL.

6th- Cincinnati- Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia- This pick has been Andre Smith for a very long time because I have had Monroe at #4 overall for just as long, but this would be an absolute dream come true for the Bengals in my opinion. Monroe is widely considered to be the best pass protector in the draft and he would be able to play LT from day one in my estimation. That would allow them to play Anthony Collins at RT which is probably the position he is best suited for. And best of all they don’t have to roll the dice on the controversial Andre Smith with such a high selection but they still fill a huge need at LT. This is a lock if Monroe is available here in my opinion.

7th- Oakland- Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri- This is kind of a surprise pick but I don’t think I can bring myself to give the Raiders Darrius Heyward-Bey here. He had the fastest 40 time at the combine, but Maclin has potential 4.3 speed as well so hopefully that will be enough to dissuade them from reaching for Heyward-Bey. If they do I think he will end up busting like Troy Williamson did for the Vikings. Coincidentally he also was a reach and also at pick #7. Just some food for thought. Anyways, Maclin is a dynamic WR and is probably the best big play threat in the draft which is why I think the Raiders will be hard-pressed to pass him up here even if he didn’t clock in as fast as DHB at the combine. He has some work to do on running routes (not as much as DHB in my opinion, but still some) but he has great speed, quickness and acceleration, so with some good coaching he should be just fine using his quickness to get in and out of his breaks to create separation, and his deep speed should go unquestioned. He is also a great return man, which if I am not mistaken is also an area of need for the Raiders. He is a dynamic playmaker as a WR and as a return man and has pretty great timed speed, this pick is right up Al Davis’ alley.

8th- Jacksonville- B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College- The Jaguars just signed Torry Holt which alleviates their need for a WR at least a little bit. With a veteran acquisition at two of their three major needs (which are OT, WR and DT, they picked up Tra Thomas at LT and Holt at WR) that makes DT the front-running need here and that is why I think they will pick Raji. The positive test turned out to be a myth which could have been a potential problem since the Jags let Khalif Barnes go (they didn’t like his character concerns, and he ended up in Oakland) for similar reasons. However without that positive test Raji doesn’t have as serious character questions (though he did have a positive test when he was at BC, but because he didn’t test positive at the combine he won’t be facing a suspension for a positive test once he is in the NFL, which would have been his 2nd strike. That means a suspension.) and that makes him the selection here. The Jaguars have missed Marcus Stroud and he has been playing great for the Bills (they just signed him to a 2 year, 8 million a YEAR extension recently) and they need someone to help anchor versus the run with John Henderson and someone who can help replace Stroud’s pass rushing ability. Well that is right up Raji’s alley, and that is why he is the pick here. He is strong at the point of attack, moves like he weighs 295-300 pounds and has pretty good pass rush moves. He disengages well despite not having very long arms, gets off the ball very quickly, tackles decently well and has alright (but not very good) awareness in my estimation. I think he has some risk of being a bust getting picked this high but hopefully with Henderson’s tutelage he will pan out and help bring back the dominant run defense the Jaguars had with Stroud and Henderson in the middle.

9th- Green Bay- Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU- The Packers could feasibly get a pass rusher for their new 3-4 defense but the most glaring hole is on their defensive line at DE. Right now Cullen Jenkins is slotted for one spot (RDE I believe) and Johnny Jolly is surprisingly slotted for the other. Perhaps the Packers don’t think he is a good enough run stuffer to play NT in a 3-4. This is just another reason that I don’t think the Packers are going to let Ron Brace slide past them in round 2, particularly because Pickett is their only potentially reliable NT on the depth chart right now. Not to mention Jolly is in legal trouble because of marijuana possession. Ideally I think Jolly would be a backup at NT or maybe at DE and NT, but I don’t think he is very solid rotation material and he might be on thin ice because of his legal trouble, and the Packers have very little defensive line depth to begin with. That makes this pick a pretty simple one in my opinion, because Tyson Jackson has the experience playing DE and he is good enough versus the run that he could step in immediately and potentially even start at LDE for the Packers. That would fill a huge void for them and would really help them improve versus the run which was an issue last year. He is used to playing on the left side as well, not to mention the Packers would be able to find NT depth with Brace in round 2 and then look to fill out the OLB position with the rest of the draft, and maybe with a corner and an OT. They do have two 3rd round selections, so they could feasibly grab Tyson Jackson, Ron Brace, Cody Brown and maybe a physical corner like Keenan Lewis. What a first 3 rounds that would be for the Packers, and their defensive depth would be dramatically improved in all aspects, but especially in the front 7. They would improve dramatically versus the run with the bolstered depth at LDE with Tyson Jackson, Ron Brace rotating at NT with Ryan Pickett at the heart of the defense and Cody Brown might be able to get 5 sacks as a rush linebacker as they transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4 next year. But it all starts with filling a gaping hole on defense, and the biggest one is at LDE and that is why Tyson Jackson is the pick here. Look for the Packers to try to trade down since Ted Thompson loves having draft picks (if you think about it he has traded down a lot in recent drafts, we even moved up to get Jimmy Williams with the Packers if you guys remember that) but I don’t think there will be much demand to move up here unless a team like the Redskins or Texans would like to move up to get the cream of the DE crop with Orakpo here.

10th- San Francisco- Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi- This is a tough selection for me because it is between Andre Smith and Michael Oher here, but I think that Andre Smith is going to be a RT in the NFL if not an OG, not to mention the 49ers are rumored to love Oher. I think Oher would bring the ability to play RT right away (some people have been saying he is a mauling run blocker which I did not see really at all, he is a better pass blocker in my estimation but he needs development there, but he improved a lot as a run blocker as a senior which may have given some people that impression) and pass block well for the position, possibly even as a rookie. The 49ers seem intent on moving Joe Staley over to RT and after a year or so of development I think Oher would be ready to slide back over to the left side, which makes him worth the top 10 selection here. The 49ers could use a defensive player, for instance a pass rusher, but this draft is loaded with DE/OLB ‘tweeners but there aren’t many quality LT prospects left after the top 3 go off the board. They would be gambling that someone like William Beatty would be available in round 2 which is not particularly likely with the Lions, Seahawks, Raiders, Jaguars and Packers all being potential landing spots for an athletic LT like Beatty that just needs some development. So they get their potential stud LT prospect right here and seem to have their bookends for the foreseeable future.

11th- Buffalo- Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas- The Bills surprisingly have a shot at Orakpo here and I don’t see any way they could pass on him. They need an upgraded pass rush and even if Orakpo has to play situationally some as a rookie he is worth this selection. I think he might even have the potential to move over to LE if he adds some weight (maybe if he gets up to 270) without losing quickness off the edge. His burst and edge speed is decent for a RE prospect, but I think if he can learn to play with better leverage to help make better use of his weight room strength (which is very considerable) then he will improve versus the run and might make a stud LDE for the Bills. Schobel has fallen off in recent years and the Bills need pass rush help at RDE or LDE, so they are afforded some flexibility with this selection here.

12th- Denver- Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia- The Broncos are rumored to be very high on Moreno and while I think they could possibly wait to draft him at #18 I think they might pick him here to make sure the Saints, Chargers and the Jets don’t have a shot at him, not to mention the Eagles might be willing to move up for him too. On top of that the Broncos don’t have a great alternative selection here to improve the defense because both Raji and Tyson Jackson are off the board already. Therefore I think it makes sense to maximize value with Moreno here and someone like Aaron Maybin or Everette Brown at 18 to help improve their pass rush. Then in round 2 they can see if Ron Brace makes it to them or they can grab a 3-4 DE prospect like Sen’Derrick Marks to help improve their front 7.

13th- Washington- Andre Smith, OT, Alabama- This is probably a best case scenario for them (except for maybe a trade up for Mark Sanchez) and I think they would jump all over Andre Smith here. It might be unlikely for him to slide this far and I’m not entirely comfortable mocking this pick, but if Monroe is available at #6 the Bengals would be fools to pass on him, I don’t think the Raiders, Jaguars or Packers make sense for Smith either, especially since the Raiders and the Packers run the ZBS. The 49ers don’t seem like an ideal fit either, and they seem to really like Oher. That leaves Smith available for the Bills, but I think Orakpo is a better and perhaps safer prospect. So against all odds… Smith is available for the Skins here. They have serious offensive line issues and whether he plays LT, RT or even OG they could use help at the position, so he provides a lot of value here if he ever maximizes his potential.

14th- New Orleans- Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State- Jenkins might have to move to FS but I think he would be an absolute stud as a CB in a cover-2 defense like ours. However the Saints need help at CB and FS because Mike McKenzie was recently released and they needed safety help before that. Jenkins is probably the best player available here also, which is important because the Saints need to maximize the value they get in this pick because they don’t have a lot of draft selections this year courtesy of trades for Jonathan Vilma and Jeremy Shockey. Jenkins could potentially fill two voids for them depending on which position they see him playing and that adds value to the selection.

15th- Houston- Clay Matthews, OLB, Southern Cal- The Texans are rumored to love Matthews and that is why I think he makes the most sense here. I don’t think they expect Zach Diles to be a good/very good player and he is coming off of a season ending injury to boot. The point is Matthews is an upgrade and there is no other player in the secondary that would be worth a top 15 selection which is why I think they will seek to upgrade their front 7. They could draft Robert Ayers here but they signed Antonio Smith in free agency to rush the passer opposite Mario Williams, so I think they will grab Matthews here. He is very athletic, has very fluid hips, looks good in coverage and linebacker drills, rushes the passer fairly well, has an extremely impressive motor and work ethic and will be a big contributor on special teams. He is the kind of solid, hard-working player the Texans need in my opinion. Brian Cushing is another possible alternative here, but I think Matthews could possibly play WLB or SLB, so that flexibility makes him the preferred selection.

16th- San Diego- Rey Maualuga, ILB, Southern Cal- The Chargers could use ILB help but also need a 3-4 DE to replace Igor Olshansky who departed via free agency. Unfortunately for the Chargers there is little chance Tyson Jackson falls past both the Packers and the Broncos, so Maualuga is the best player they can hope to select here in my opinion. He is a big thumper in the middle and would help improve their run defense from the middle of the defense. He has some maturity issues though so it would be good for him to go to a veteran team, and I don’t really think he is a 3 down linebacker in the NFL because of his lackluster ability in coverage. But in a 3-4 those deficiencies will be masked more than in a 4-3 and his huge hitting ability and his knack for making big plays in big games will be accentuated.

17th- New York Jets- Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland- This is a tough pick for me, but I think they might end up with Heyward-Bey. I really think Heyward-Bey has a great chance to be a bust, and he reminds me quite a bit of Troy Williamson to be perfectly honest. So for the Jets’ sake I don’t like this pick, but I think it may happen anyways. He has great deep speed, inconsistent hands and route-running ability, but he is a big play threat and that is something the Jets need after letting Laverneus Coles loose. They could go with Josh Freeman here but I don’t see them spending the #17 on him, I think if they wanted a QB they would make a move for Sanchez if he slid far enough.

18th- Denver (F/ CHI)- Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State- The Broncos are still in a bit of a pickle here, but at least they get fair value for a defensive player with this selection. Maybin is a great edge rusher with a fantastic motor, my concerns with him are whether or not he will lose some edge quickness or some of his great burst if he continues to add weight, because he ran slower than expected at the combine after his big weight gain. If he can maintain that great quickness with some added weight then he may have a great chance of becoming a stud OLB in a 3-4. As this is a transition year for the Broncos from the 4-3 to the 3-4 I imagine he will be able to rush as a RE in the 4-3 when they use that set.

19th- Tampa Bay- Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas State- I thought this pick might be Michael Johnson for a while, but I just don’t think he will end up being a top 20 pick considering all of his shortcomings. Freeman and Raheem Morris are familiar with each other and one of the first things a new regime likes to do is draft a new QB as the face of the franchise. Freeman could be that for them, and they might be inclined to do it because of some of the similarities he shares with Joe Flacco, even the position in the draft they may end up going could be similar. Freeman has a very strong arm but I question his football IQ, overall intelligence and his ability to read defenses. With Leftwich on board I envision Freeman developing for a year, learning the offense and then attempting to step in in 2010. Josh Johnson will be kept as the #3 developmental QB because he will likely take 1-2 more years of work before he is ready to be the primary backup or starter.

20th- Detroit (F/ DAL)- Eben Britton, OT, Arizona- I had a hard time with this selection but I think Britton has the potential to play on the left side in the NFL. He might be best off at RT for the first year but with Cherilus there he will simply be a backup. But I think that with some coaching, a little technique work and a year of development and weight training he will be ready to replace Jeff Backus at LT next year. Then with Britton and Cherilus they would have their two bookends of the future. I thought about Laurinaitis here but I don’t think he’s worth this pick and I think he might last to #33 for the Lions, so they opt for Britton here. Peria Jerry or Evander Hood might also be options here since Shaun Rogers and Cory Redding both departed via trades in the last two offseasons.

21st- Philadelphia- Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State- The Eagles are rumored to like Knowshon Moreno but he went off the board well earlier than this. With their LT need taken care of however the Eagles opt to draft Wells here even though they might have him ranked #2 on their RB board. He will be a great compliment to Westbrook and will help him in his efforts to stay healthy for an entire season, not to mention it will make the Eagles backfield lethal.

22nd- Minnesota- Percy Harvin, WR, Florida- I can’t tell you how much I hate this pick but I think it might happen. The Vikings are rumored to love Harvin and he recently met with Brad Childress, who was said to be the last guy holding out for Eben Britton who is off the board in this scenario anyways. That makes Harvin the likely selection in my opinion, but I still think it is ignorant. He will bring some explosive playmaking ability but he will be very similar to Reggie Bush in the NFL. But considering it was Bush who tore them a new one returning punts on Monday Night Football last year maybe that is exactly what they are looking for with this selection. I hate this pick but the Vikings have done dumber things, so I can’t say I expect anything less.

23rd- New England- Brian Cushing, OLB, Southern Cal- The Patriots spent the #10 overall selection in last years draft on Jerod Mayo and it worked out beautifully for them. However Tedy Bruschi is very old and Gary Guyton, the UDFA pickup, is their only depth at the position. Cushing would instantly bring depth and versatility to the Patriots, not to mention he would be mentored by Bruschi for a year and then he and Mayo would man the middle of the Patriots 3-4 defense for years to come. Until then he would provide fantastic depth and rotational help.

24th- Atlanta- Larry English, DE, Northern Illinois- This is the guy I want for our pick the most, even more than Everette Brown who I have going #25 overall. Brown… I have concerns about his inconsistency, and there aren’t a lot of Florida State defensive lineman that go on to have great success in the NFL. English is a guy with a very good burst off the edge, he’s a great pass rusher and is in the mold of John Abraham (but a couple inches shorter) with a similar weight. With 5-8 more pounds he would weigh about 260-263, which is almost identical to Abraham. He needs to add strength because once he does he will stand up versus the run much better. But his great motor, awareness and effort on every play make him appealing to TD here and it will help him versus the run in a couple years after he is mentored by Abraham and also as a situational pass rusher for the first year or two of his career. I would love to see English and Abe rushing the passer on third downs and my wish may actually come true.

25th- Miami- Everette Brown, DE, Florida State- Brown endures a draft day slide and ends up dropping right into Bill Parcells’ lap in Miami. Parcells loves drafting linebackers in the first round and this year shouldn’t be much different. Joey Porter is getting old despite having a fantastic season last year, but they have to find an upgrade over Matt Roth opposite him. Brown would be a great player to add because of his pass rushing ability, but he will be a bit of a project as he learns to drop into coverage. Miami has some time to develop him though since Porter should be productive for the next year or two in my opinion, and that should give Brown ample time to prove his worth.

26th- Baltimore- Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina- The Ravens need receiver help and while they would probably prefer a speed demon like Darrius-Heyward Bey or Percy Harvin neither player is available here, so they turn their attention to Hakeem Nicks. Nicks is one of my favorite players in the draft because he is from UNC but also because he has fantastic hands, runs good routes and reminds me some of Anquan Boldin with his ability to gain yards after the catch. He would mesh well with Mark Clayton and he would give Joe Flacco another reliable target to throw to.

27th- Indianapolis- Peria Jerry, DT, Mississippi- This pick seems like a lock given their needs at DT, the only way this would change is if Jerry was unavailable which I could see if Detroit decided to try to replace Redding with him. In that scenario I would just plug in Ziggy Hood here. However Jerry is available so I think he will be the selection. He is somewhat undersized but he is a perfect fit for the Tampa-2 defense that the Colts run and would bolster their depth at DT.

28th- Buffalo (F/ PHI, F/ CAR)- Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State- The Bills would be elated since there are some mocks even today that have him going to the Bills at #11, plus he is a good value pick here. The Bills are desperate for TE help and would really be happy if they got Orakpo and Pettigrew with their first two picks in the draft. This would allow them to focus on getting a LT such as William Beatty in round 2 should he be available.

29th- New York Giants- Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers- The Giants need a receiver to help replace Plax in the lineup. Personally I think the Eagles, Ravens and Giants should be banging the door down for Anquan Boldin or Braylon Edwards, but what do I know? If they don’t make a draft day trade for either player the Giants will likely grab Kenny Britt here because of his great size, leaping ability and reliable hands. I am not sure how good of a route runner he is but like Plaxico I think he has deceptive deep speed, plus he is great with jump balls. And Eli loves tall receivers, so this pick makes a lot of sense for the local kid from Rutgers barring a draft day trade.

30th- Tennessee- Darius Butler, CB, Connecticut- This is a tough pick and I really want to mock Robiskie here but Butler is a good value here and the Titans are desperate for CB help. Nick Harper is 35 and they have little talent at the position other than him. Butler might be able to start right away and if not he would at least provide much needed depth at the position.

31st- Arizona- Donald Brown, RB, Connecticut- The Cardinals might ideally like a power back here but Wells is long gone to the Eagles and so they pick up Brown to compliment Tim Hightower in the future. Brown might end up being the feature back and Hightower the compliment, but Hightower has a year of experience on Brown so I think he would have the chance to start.

32nd- Pittsburgh- Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois- The Steelers might have some needs along the OL but it is going to be hard to find a corner that fits their physical style of play as well as Davis later in the draft so they opt to pick him here over a C like Alex Mack or Max Unger.

Falcons Mock:

1st- Larry English, DE, Northern Illinois- I would love to get Larry English and he is my favorite target for our #24 pick. I think with a year or two of development (during which he would be a situational pass rusher, he could rotate in for Abe or rush opposite him) he could be Abe’s future replacement, but until then he would boost the defensive end rotation and would give us a better chance at getting a good rush with our front 4.

2nd- Gerald McRath, OLB, Southern Mississippi- This is a guy who I cooled off on for a while because I thought we would be targeting a SLB with the addition of Peterson, however because Peterson is going to be playing WLB we need to get someone as depth behind him and someone who in a year or maybe two could replace him in the starting lineup. I think McRath is the man for that job, and I would love to see him become a falcon with this selection. He has very impressive speed, he’s a good tackler, he generates some pop when he hits and he has fluid hips and is good in coverage. He is the man we need at WLB, and with a year of development with Peterson mentoring him he should be a very good WLB for us.

3rd- Christopher Owens, CB, San Jose State- I have liked Owens for a while, he has really risen up draft boards lately. He isn’t a workout warrior though, he just went unnoticed for most of the season because he was playing opposite Cory Francies. However he has very good hips and looks very fluid in drills, not to mention he had a very good week during East-West Shrine game practices. I would love to bring him on as depth, he would likely be our #4 corner with Grimes as the #5 (assuming Hutchins comes back healthy and can contribute as a nickel corner). He could develop into a starter or a nickel corner within his rookie or second pro season in my opinion, and I think he fits our defensive scheme very well.

4th- Tyrone Green, OG, Auburn- This guy is raw but he has a lot of potential. He needs to be coached up to use his hands better and play with better leverage but he has good strength and has a lot of potential as a run and pass blocker. But when he plays too high he can get bull-rushed into the QB pretty easily. He just needs some patient development and I think he could turn out to be a reliable starter for us, or at worst very good depth. But I really do think he has starting potential.

5th (F/ STL)- Kenny McKinley, WR, South Carolina- I really like this guy and I picked him up in UDFA in the IMD that Robb and I ran on the AFMB. He is said to not have elite straight line speed but he ran a fast 40, but he has impressive quickness and good hands, and he would help fill the void that Laurent Robinson left at WR.

5th (F/ OAK)- Andrew Gardner, OT, Georgia Tech- I like this guy as a RT prospect and he would add quality depth at the RT spot, and might even have a shot to end up as a starter. But we are thing on the offensive line and so the additions of Green and Gardner would help bolster depth at OG and OT, which I think is crucial if we expect to continue to progress as an offense next year. It would be nice to grab someone like Eben Britton and upgrade the RG spot also, perhaps with someone like Duke Robinson (who I am not a fan of really, I wasn’t very impressed with the tape I saw of him) and have a very good offensive line for the future, but I just don’t think we can afford to ignore the defense for the first two selections of the draft when they may not start as rookies over Dahl and Clabo at RG and RT, respectively.

6th (F/ STL)- Terrence Knighton, DT, Temple- We haven’t shown interest in this guy but he is just someone I like and this late it is worth a flier. He has good size, good strength and has a good motor, and that’s what you need to look for to find a potential late round gem in my opinion. He needs to learn to play with better leverage, but I believe that is coachable. For that reason I think he could turn out to be reliable depth at NT and we could really use help in the NT rotation right now.

There is my mock draft everyone, haha. I ran a little short on time but I finally put in a lot of work today to get it done. But my analysis definitely dropped off at the end. Usually I like to describe things the player does well, like for instance he has good hips, or plays with good pad level, etc, and things he does poorly, and then describe why he will be the pick. But I just didn't have the time as the draft got later in round 1. I do really like the Falcons Mock Draft I put together, and every player has been scouted by the falcons except for Knighton. He's just a guy I like as possible NT depth later in the draft. Miller and Pryor have both risen up a little bit also, so I don't think they'll be available in round 5 or 6.

Anyways, I put a ton of work into this and I really put a lot of effort to be accurate in the beginning of the draft, but this really is tough for me to see how it's going to go down. It might end up being a sh*t-show at the beginning, but hopefully I can do alright. I did pretty poorly last year since I didn't have us taking Matt Ryan and I had him getting picked up by the Ravens at... #7 overall? So hopefully this year will be much better. I hope you guys enjoyed reading this and I've enjoyed debating the draft with all of you, the day is almost here! Less than 17 hours. I can hardly wait!

-Mr. Offseason

I like it... it surprises me though at how far Owens has shot up draft boards. It seems like every prospect I start touting on here rises by a few rounds shortly after. I guess thats a good sign :)

it kind of surprises me. he has a pretty good 40 time though so i think that contributed to it a bit. because hes in that area where a bunch of guys have 4.5-ish speed and with that 40 and his impressive practices at the East-West shrine game i think it moved him up farther than we might have anticipated. I thought hed get into round 4 though, i didnt think hed crack round 3 until a couple weeks ago.

I like the Freeman pick. All of his problems can be fixed with a good QB coach and we have one. He didnt have anyone around him at K state, which really lead to him looking worse than he really is.

glad you like it. you might be right, i think hes a little overrated, but maybe he will prove me wrong like flacco did.

-Mr. Offseason

One of the better 1st round mocks I have seen. All the picks make a lot of sense and I could easily see them all happening.

The only pick I have a little issue with is the Colts picking Peria Jerry. I just don't think the Colts value DTs to this extent, and with their needs and Polian's draft history, I could see Kenny Britt being a better bet for the Colts this year. Other than this minor issue, I love everything.

Falcons' draft is good. I'd rather get a safety in the second at the latest, but it's a topic frequently debated. I'm just not sold on Decoud being ready to handle the full load at safety this year, and there are seniors in this draft with more game experience at that position than Decoud has had. I want to see him get more PT this year, don't get me wrong. He's got a ton of potential, I just want to ease him into the spot when I know he's ready. Oh well, the FO knows what their doing and I'll be behind almost anything they do this year. Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed it a lot.

One of the better 1st round mocks I have seen. All the picks make a lot of sense and I could easily see them all happening.

The only pick I have a little issue with is the Colts picking Peria Jerry. I just don't think the Colts value DTs to this extent, and with their needs and Polian's draft history, I could see Kenny Britt being a better bet for the Colts this year. Other than this minor issue, I love everything.

Falcons' draft is good. I'd rather get a safety in the second at the latest, but it's a topic frequently debated. I'm just not sold on Decoud being ready to handle the full load at safety this year, and there are seniors in this draft with more game experience at that position than Decoud has had. I want to see him get more PT this year, don't get me wrong. He's got a ton of potential, I just want to ease him into the spot when I know he's ready. Oh well, the FO knows what their doing and I'll be behind almost anything they do this year. Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed it a lot.

thanks man i appreciate it. im not too confident that i will get a bunch right but i hope i do alright.

yeah i know what you mean about the colts, but i just think that finally the need is so great after pitcock retired that they have to spend a first on jerry. you might be right about them going with a WR, but i just think DT trumps the WR need by quite a lot because Wayne and Gonzalez replaced Harrison in the lineup just fine last season.

and i would have gone with a safety but i do think its possible that all the good ones will be gone. that would mean we could pick vaughn in round 2 (which would be a reach imo) or we could go with a linebacker, id prefer to grab someone like mcrath there. and vaughn likely wont last to our 3rd, he might go to the raiders or someone else in the early 3rd. if he was there in the 3rd i would be very happy to draft him.

im glad you enjoyed it though, thanks for reading.

I love it. Looks like our D would improve immensely. Our O-line would be fresh as well. Good job as always Mr. Offseason

thanks man, im glad you enjoyed it. i appreciate the props.

-Mr. Offseason

Good stuff Offseason. Love all the Falcons picks and i think it could very well happen. Not digging Britton for the Lions only because i really can't see him playing LT, but if he can then he would be rapetastic! Plus Lauranitis at #33 would be sick!

thanks norwood. it sounds like my mock is already going down the tubes since KC might pick tyson jackson #3 overall, but whatever. lol. im excited to see what happens, this should be a really insane beginning to the draft.

-Mr. Offseason

Looks good to me. This draft is extremely hard to get a handle on, starting with pick #2. Usually there are some pretty safe picks, especially near the top, but not this year.

Can't believe you take all that time to type up that much analysis with each pick, good stuff there.

Looks good to me. This draft is extremely hard to get a handle on, starting with pick #2. Usually there are some pretty safe picks, especially near the top, but not this year.

Can't believe you take all that time to type up that much analysis with each pick, good stuff there.

thanks dude. but yeah youre right there are no safe picks this year and its killin me.

-Mr. Offseason

Real nice work Offseason. I only have one problem. Mike Smith's defenses revolve around the DT. As much as I like English, I think that Hood has to be the call in the first round. There is that Dorsey thing running around the internet, but I doubt it goes through.

In my opinion, we need to wait another year to add a pass rusher.