Can We Discuss The Dorsey Can't Play NT For The Falcons Myth?

First of all can we all agree that a 4-3 NT is very different from a 3-4 NT? Don't get it twisted. A 4-3 NT doesn't have to be a 330 pound fire plug. There are even some undersized 3-4 NTs that have been successful. Shane Dronett was our NT in the Super Bowl Game. The NTs on the eight other playoff teams were Mike Lewis, Don Smith, Moe Gardner, Ed Jasper and Grady Jackson who is the only big NT.

Dorsey played NT for KC last year. He also played some NT for LSU. He outperformed Grady Jackson last year as a rookie. He would be an instant upgrade.

Smitty has said that he values DTs more than any other defensive position. The experts have said that Dorsey is the best DT in the 08 and 09 drafts. He is also better than any available free agent DT now that Haynesworth is gone. If DT is tops on the coach's wish list and Dorsey is better than the best available draft pick or free agent, BRING HIM HOME!

First of all can we all agree that a 4-3 NT is very different from a 3-4 NT? Don't get it twisted. A 4-3 NT doesn't have to be a 330 pound fire plug. There are even some undersized 3-4 NTs that have been successful. Shane Dronett was our NT in the Super Bowl Game. The NTs on the eight other playoff teams were Mike Lewis, Don Smith, Moe Gardner, Ed Jasper and Grady Jackson who is the only big NT.

Dorsey played NT for KC last year. He also played some NT for LSU. He outperformed Grady Jackson last year as a rookie. He would be an instant upgrade.

Smitty has said that he values DTs more than any other defensive position. The experts have said that Dorsey is the best DT in the 08 and 09 drafts. He is also better than any available free agent DT now that Haynesworth is gone. If DT is tops on the coach's wish list and Dorsey is better than the best available draft pick or free agent, BRING HIM HOME!

no debate. He absolutely can man both NT and UT spots for us. In the 4-3 1 gap we play he'd either be rushing the passer (penetrating ) as UT, or clogging the run as the NT. His size and speed allow him to do both in our system.

In the 3-4 he's just not long enough for DE. Stroud and other 6'5" or 6"6 guys are preferred. Alnd its not so much that he's light for the 3-4 NT, but his game is penetration and one gap responsibilities where he can disengage and pursue.

What most fans dont understand is that teams use 4-3 NTs differently.......... Example.... Last year KC asked Dorsey to be a read and react NT...... The Titans used their NT (Haynesworth and Jones) as a Attacking style......... Fish just told those guys to go out there and penetrate .....Penetration is what stops the run.

I feel like Thomas Dimitroff and Coach Smith wants penetrating DTs (like the Titans and Giants) ......

.....Penetration is what stops the run.

until the RB runs right past the penetrating DT, it happens all the time.

Smitty has stated that he want to "sprinkle in" elements of the 3-4 Def this yr. so from time to time (depending on down & distance I'd imagine) Dorsey &/or Trey Lewis would be asked to play 3-4 NT.

We'll all just have to wait & see what happens this weekend.

until the RB runs right past the penetrating DT, it happens all the time.

This is what Linebackers and controlling there gaps is for.....

Smitty has stated that he want to "sprinkle in" elements of the 3-4 Def this yr. so from time to time (depending on down & distance I'd imagine) Dorsey &/or Trey Lewis would be asked to play 3-4 NT.

We'll all just have to wait & see what happens this weekend.

I love the 3-4 idea........ The way Coach Smith and Thomas Dimitroff talked about it like we will remain a 4.3 D but have a couple of 3-4 ..... I see us running a good 8 3-4 base D sets a game like we did with our 3-3 front.

Dude you are acting like we are going to be a pure 3-4 team..... Coach Smith just want to throw a new little wrinkle in.

After saying all that..,... I really thought about this and now i would rather keep our picks and just work this draft and not do the Dorsey trade........ I really like Dorsey but i think TD can pimp out that 24th oick (either for a high 2nd and high 3rd round pick or for two 2nd round pick or maybe a 2nd this year and a 2010 1st or 2nd round pick)