Where does the trade for Tony G. help us most?

NFC South programming notes

April 24, 2009 11:22 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas

A few programming notes on the day ahead.

I'll be posting your mock draft picks for each NFC South team later this afternoon. I asked you to make the first pick for each (or every) team earlier this week. The voting has ended. I'm in the process of tabulating your results now and will begin posting your thoughts in the next few hours.

I'll also be posting a column shortly on five NFC South story lines to follow in the draft. Hint: One of them is how the arrival of tight ends Tony Gonzalez and Kellen Winslow could impact what teams do on defense in this draft.

Speaking of Gonzalez, the Falcons will hold a 6 p.m. ET press conference to introduce him to the Atlanta media. Also, on the Gonzalez front, I saw a fascinating stat this morning: The Falcons didn't complete a pass to any of their tight ends on third down last season.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcsouth

--------

That blew me away when I read it - I didn't realize that at all. Although looking back, I guess I can't remember any specific time where we did throw to the TE on third down. That fact in itself is reason enough to acquire a proven commodity like Tony G...

it helps us in so many ways. clutch catches. another #1 go to guy for ryan. takes pressure off of roddy and the other wideouts. he's an elite blocker so he'll help free up turner. no more 8 in the box. he can work with the young guys and help mentor them. he'll help in the red zone where he had more redzone TDs last year than our entire passing game.

And so many clueless posters said we didn't need a TE. Thank goodness TD, Smitty and probably Ryan disagreed.

It's not like there were no alternatives, Finn/Douglas/LR in the slot got many 3rd down passes and Norwood at RB got several 3rd down passes. Even Ovie got 1 or 2 3rd down passes.

A TE does add another weapon but you make it sound as if it were the ONLY weapon on 3rd down.

And so many clueless posters said we didn't need a TE. Thank goodness TD, Smitty and probably Ryan disagreed.

I was always in favor of getting Tony Gonzales, I just wansn't in favor of spending the 1st round pick on an unproven commodity like Pettigrew.

This changes everything for the Falcons. It's great for the running game, great for Roddy White, great for Harry D in the slot. It's just a game changer.

Clueless?

Hardly.

We did not need to Draft a TE, and there is a big difference between Drafting a TE and Trading for or

Signing a FA who knows how to play the position.

Clueless?

Hardly.

We did not need to Draft a TE, and there is a big difference between Drafting a TE and Trading for or

Signing a FA who knows how to play the position.

Well it is quite a difference when you are acquiring the greatest player to ever suit up at that position.

interesting. b/c now that i think of it, most of the passes to peele an nem were on PA / Bootleg type plays, which you would mostly run on 1st or 2nd and short.

that's also a good reason to have gotten gonzo instead of pettigrew. running linemen speed, i don't see him generating a whole lot of separation from nfl caliber lb's or safeties.

so glad we didn't burn an '09 pick on gonzalez, though. this was a brilliant move.

*YOU get single coverage!!! and YOU get single coverage!!! and YOU get single coverage!!!* © Oprah.

lol. ryan is going to have a field day. you realize we can operate for LONG stretches out of the no huddle and play an extended game of exploit the mismatches?

oh, you have a good 1st CB? 1nd CB? how's your slot coverage? if he's so-so, HD is going to eat him up. how is your safety? if he's week, that's a field day for TG.

oh. and take those extra men out of the box. *turner salivates*.

I was always in favor of getting Tony Gonzales, I just wansn't in favor of spending the 1st round pick on an unproven commodity like Pettigrew.

This changes everything for the Falcons. It's great for the running game, great for Roddy White, great for Harry D in the slot. It's just a game changer.

I was opposed to the Gonzalez trade for about an hour. For about another hour I was indifferent. After the third hour I was sold on it as one of the best moves we could make. It just took me a little bit to digest taking an older player but once you take a few steps back and look it is IDEAL.