How many years do we need from Gonzalez?

Finally

I say 2 years. More would be better, obviously, but I think what he brings is worth so much more than a long-term commitment.

1) I think the "curse" is doomed now. That, all by itself, is worth it in my book. These curses exist because people believe in them and they become self-fullfilling. In order for this to be a new team with a new direction the need to do something that has not been done before. Shake off the old ways and bring in the new.

2) The development of Matt Ryan. He is going to be asked to do more next year and now he has the best TE in NFL history as a weapon. He will learn from TG. TG will make Matt Ryan more confident once Ryan knows what he is really capable of he will strive to work to that level ever year. TG's impact on Ryan during these early years will last long after TG has retired. This is worth a second round pick and more.

3) TG insulates our offense in many ways. Because he is a big target for opponent's defense we can suffer injuries in places and bring in backups and they can still be really productive. Turner is not going to have to work nearly as hard this year.

4) Who better to teach Ryan's next TE than the master?

So if he accomplishes these things I say 2 years and he is worth every bit of a second round pick and more. Quality over quantity in this case.

I say 2 years. More would be better, obviously, but I think what he brings is worth so much more than a long-term commitment.

1) I think the "curse" is doomed now. That, all by itself, is worth it in my book. These curses exist because people believe in them and they become self-fullfilling. In order for this to be a new team with a new direction the need to do something that has not been done before. Shake off the old ways and bring in the new.

2) The development of Matt Ryan. He is going to be asked to do more next year and now he has the best TE in NFL history as a weapon. He will learn from TG. TG will make Matt Ryan more confident once Ryan knows what he is really capable of he will strive to work to that level ever year. TG's impact on Ryan during these early years will last long after TG has retired. This is worth a second round pick and more.

3) TG insulates our offense in many ways. Because he is a big target for opponent's defense we can suffer injuries in places and bring in backups and they can still be really productive. Turner is not going to have to work nearly as hard this year.

4) Who better to teach Ryan's next TE than the master?

So if he accomplishes these things I say 2 years and he is worth every bit of a second round pick and more. Quality over quantity in this case.

2 years in my mind....

i say 3. he'll be 36 by the time his contracts up and if im not mistaken shannon sharpe stopped when he was 35. TG should be able to manage that. i would really like to see him get a ring here though, or at least a playoff win or a NFCCG berth or something.

I agree i can see him playing his contract out, that is alot of money to leave on the table, even if he says he doesnt care about the money

I think it's more about what he contributes. If we made it to the Superbowl and won it because of his contributions this year - then retired next year - would anyone say he wasn't worth the 2nd round pick for 2010? If we win the Division? How about if he makes our current young players better over the long haul?

Don't get so hung up on his age. He's still productive and he's healthy. He has missed 2 games in his entire career. Our young stud Laurent Robinson is gone now - but how many games did we really get out of him during his tenure here?

He said he wants to play 3-4 more years, in one of NFLs Top 5 offenses, here in ATL, but if we get 2 great years out of him, the trade was worth it.

Keep in mind that in 2010 we should get a couple compensatory picks for letting Foxworth, Brooking, Grady, and Boley go. We can trade right back into the 2nd round with probably a better pick and not even miss a beat! TD is a genious!

I think it's more about what he contributes. If we made it to the Superbowl and won it because of his contributions this year - then retired next year - would anyone say he wasn't worth the 2nd round pick for 2010? If we win the Division? How about if he makes our current young players better over the long haul?

Don't get so hung up on his age. He's still productive and he's healthy. He has missed 2 games in his entire career. Our young stud Laurent Robinson is gone now - but how many games did we really get out of him during his tenure here?

Tandy you didnt have to Put the Next Larry Fitzgerald on blast like that. :P :lol::lol:

Exactly.

I would say 3 - 4 years! He would be 41 in his 4th year in think! :huh:

He is a professional and takes care of himself better than most NFL players. He is going to load up on some more stats and call it a HOF career.

he'll be 37 in year 4.

TG also had 24 3rd down catches last year, the rest of our TEs had none. he had 7 red zone TDs last year, our entire passing offense had 6 redzone TDs last year.

Keep in mind that in 2010 we should get a couple compensatory picks for letting Foxworth, Brooking, Grady, and Boley go. We can trade right back into the 2nd round with probably a better pick and not even miss a beat! TD is a genious!

Just a reminder ... you can't trade comp picks.

the key is TG has only missed 2 games over his career, which means that he knows how to take care of his body.

we can trade our original picks though. say we get a comp 3rd and a comp 4th. we can trade our real 3rd and 4th to try and get where we want to get and we'll still have a 3rd and 4th

But you don't get back into the 2nd with these picks ... that's what I wanted to say ;) (at least not as a playoff team)

He's worth in my mind!! Just a second and new contract negotiations. I don't care what they give him, it'l be worth it. I'm riding with the FO on this. He's an 11(?) time Prowbowler and a real threat!!

10 consecutive probowls and is first in probowl history in yds and catches i think (including wideouts). :D

the key is TG has only missed 2 games over his career, which means that he knows how to take care of his body.

I think we will get 3 years but if he can help change the direction of this franchise he will be worth it with less. If I were a Steelers fan I would be furious that my GM made this move but we are Falcons fans.

we can trade our original picks though. say we get a comp 3rd and a comp 4th. we can trade our real 3rd and 4th to try and get where we want to get and we'll still have a 3rd and 4th

That's a total fallacy. Using our original draft picks this year as an example, as per the Draft Value Chart our 3rd round (90th overall) + 4th round (125th) + 5th round (160th) + 6th round (196th) would be worth the 72nd pick in the draft which is the 8th pick in round 3.

The idea that we could use a 3rd & a 4th to get back into the second is laughable.