Need some help on a personel question

caveman

With all the draft talk about the hybird DE/LB players that would fit best as a OLB in a 3-4 defense (i.e. English, Maybin), and the hybird DE/DT in a 3-4 where teams want players like Orakpo and Jackson -- I'm trying to figure out if a team can have the right personel to run both defenses effectively at the same time.

TD and Smitty have said that they would like to run some 3-4 sets. I don't know if they mean just every now and then, or if they are talking about 20-30 percent of the time. How many other teams run a mix of 4-3 and 3-4 defenses - and what are the percentages? Are teams more likely to execute better if they stick with one base defense -- rather than switching alignments and personel frequently?

We all know the Falcons need a nose tackle, so what are the major differences between a NT in a 4-3 vs. a 3-4? I was reading where Sammie Lee Hill said he was best suited to be a nose tackle in a 3-4. Then, there's the issue of good DT's that just aren't considered to be big enough to be a NT in either defense -- that's why I don't understand all the trade speculation about Dorsey. If we had Dorsey, would he start at UT and Babs be a backup? I couldn't see them starting Babs at UT and Dorsey at NT. I think we do need a 'big body' at nose tackle that could rotate with Trey in the 4-3 and also be suited to play NT in a 3-4 alignment.

It gets even more confusing when you start talking about OLB in a 4-3 vs. a 3-4 defense. Who is a 3 down LB, who can stuff the run and also excell in pass coverage? Which ones would be used more as a speed rushers? Which ones are equally comfortable in a 4-3 and a 3-4?

If the Falcons do run some 3-4 sets, where do some of the current personel fit in -- like Abe, Babs, JA98 and others

With all the draft talk about the hybird DE/LB players that would fit best as a OLB in a 3-4 defense (i.e. English, Maybin), and the hybird DE/DT in a 3-4 where teams want players like Orakpo and Jackson -- I'm trying to figure out if a team can have the right personel to run both defenses effectively at the same time.

TD and Smitty have said that they would like to run some 3-4 sets. I don't know if they mean just every now and then, or if they are talking about 20-30 percent of the time. How many other teams run a mix of 4-3 and 3-4 defenses - and what are the percentages? Are teams more likely to execute better if they stick with one base defense -- rather than switching alignments and personel frequently?

We all know the Falcons need a nose tackle, so what are the major differences between a NT in a 4-3 vs. a 3-4? I was reading where Sammie Lee Hill said he was best suited to be a nose tackle in a 3-4. Then, there's the issue of good DT's that just aren't considered to be big enough to be a NT in either defense -- that's why I don't understand all the trade speculation about Dorsey. If we had Dorsey, would he start at UT and Babs be a backup? I couldn't see them starting Babs at UT and Dorsey at NT. I think we do need a 'big body' at nose tackle that could rotate with Trey in the 4-3 and also be suited to play NT in a 3-4 alignment.

It gets even more confusing when you start talking about OLB in a 4-3 vs. a 3-4 defense. Who is a 3 down LB, who can stuff the run and also excell in pass coverage? Which ones would be used more as a speed rushers? Which ones are equally comfortable in a 4-3 and a 3-4?

If the Falcons do run some 3-4 sets, where do some of the current personel fit in -- like Abe, Babs, JA98 and others

First off the misconception most people have is that a NT is a requirement. A 4-3 does not need a huge run stuffing NT (Grady Jacson) what it needs is 2 DT that disrupts the offense on the inside and protect the MLB, Tampa with Sapp had no NT, the Giants do not have a NT, John Henderson at 330lbs is not a NT he is a DT that happens to be big. A typical NT lines up over the center in a 4-3 that is not a requirement unless you run a lot of over and under defenses. Ed Jasper was the NT in our 3-4 with Wade Phillips and he played at 285lbs. It all depends on the playing style of the player not always his size.

Ja98 and Babs would play DE in a 3-4 and Abe would be a OLB, Lewis would play the NT and a guy like Dorsey could play any of the psitions and NT only in passing situations.