Two guys that I think we will draft

One is William Moore, S out of Missouri.

From what TD has said, he looks at a player's body of work in college as opposed to offseason workouts. Moore's production at FS in 2007 and SS in 2008 at Missouri were impressive, and until Senior Bowl practices he was considered a 1st round pick going as high as to the Saints or Texans. He said he would not drop a guy for Senior Bowl performances, which applies directly to Moore. Come to think of it, I wouldn't be all too surprised if we selected him in the 1st round if we didn't think he'd be there for our 2nd. Of course I'd love for him to slide to our 2nd, but I'm not sure if he'll last that long. I think he is very high on our board as he is the #1 interchangeable safety in this draft - he can drop back and be a playmaker (8 INTs in 2007 as a FS) or step up in run support and be a force (86 tackles, 6.5 TFL in 2008 as a SS).

The second is Gerald McRath, OLB out of Southern Miss.

McRath is a very fast LB who has played SLB and MLB in his career at Southern Miss. He is an Atlanta native and he is a great leader both on and off the field. No character concerns here at all, and he is very good in coverage. He has the speed of a DB with the size of a LB and he is a tackle vulture having 104 tackle, 139 tackle, and 137 tackles from 2006-2008 in that order. He has the speed that TD wants our LBs to have and the character to make him a good organization fit.

We have shown interest in and worked out both of these players and I almost expect them to be Falcons by next Monday.

maybe mcgrath but you got me stumped on moore.

i guess my question is do you think TD made a mistake in drafting thomas decoud? is this a wasted pick or a 3rd rd pick to be a back up and ST player for a while longer? milloy pretty much took him under his wings and i was thinking he would bloom and take ownership this season.

i seriously do not consider us picking high on a safety. we may pick up a high tier CB but not a safety.

maybe mcgrath but you got me stumped on moore.

i guess my question is do you think TD made a mistake in drafting thomas decoud? is this a wasted pick or a 3rd rd pick to be a back up and ST player for a while longer? milloy pretty much took him under his wings and i was thinking he would bloom and take ownership this season.

i seriously do not consider us picking high on a safety. we may pick up a high tier CB but not a safety.

Regardless of having DeCoud we still need another safety since Coleman is not a long term answer there. Also, TD drafted DeCoud primarily for his ST play and secondly his versatility which we covet in players. He can play either safety spot and has the ability to be a Cover 2 CB as well. I think we took DeCoud because he was our highest rated safety left in the 3rd round and we needed one, and he didn't like players at our other positions of need. I know DeCoud has had a season under his belt in the NFL, but I think Moore is the better player of the two and has the potential to be a stud in our system whereas DeCoud would be good at best. I could be wrong however, this is his combine overview from last year:

"Thomas DeCoud, an athletic pass defender with the quickness to play cornerback, is known for his skills on special teams.

With excellent leaping ability and long arms, he blocked six kicks during his first two seasons with the Bears. Despite his lean frame, he has also proven to be a solid tackler in the box, relishing his role of taking on ballcarriers on outside running plays.

His versatility was invaluable at Cal, where he played every position in the secondary. With his ball anticipation skills and acceleration to close on plays in front of him, DeCoud might have found a home at free safety, earning a full-time job for the first time in his collegiate career at that position as a senior. He is known around the Pac-10 Conference for his athleticism and intensity. "I've been hit by everybody on the team," Cal tailback Justin Forsett told the San Francisco Chronicle. "When Thomas hits you, it's not something you want to remember."

It seems like DeCoud will be our free safety, which means we still need a SS. I know it isn't our greatest need but we don't draft strictly for immediate need. We take the best players on the board at positions where we could use them. In a couple years a starting tandem of DeCoud and Moore could be the best one in the NFC South.

you made some excellent points. but i assumed that coleman would play FS and Decoud play SS. i guess you are not thrilled to see Decoud play in a SS role? not enough of a physical player especially against the run? boy, i really thought this was fudge/decoud show....

also what are your thoughts on RObert James? throw james in the box/ put Decoud as SS against the pass.

or am i flirting with disaster here?

hard to decide.....

you made some excellent points. but i assumed that coleman would play FS and Decoud play SS. i guess you are not thrilled to see Decoud play in a SS role? not enough of a physical player especially against the run? boy, i really thought this was fudge/decoud show....

also what are your thoughts on RObert James? throw james in the box/ put Decoud as SS against the pass.

or am i flirting with disaster here?

hard to decide.....

Here's what we know: Erik Coleman said that he will play SS this season and Thomas DeCoud will play FS. This was posted earlier in the offseason so I doubt I'll find it, but I remember reading that Erik Coleman said that and it did have a valid source. As for Fudge, I think he is depth at best to be honest. I don't see a starting role on our team any time in the future.

I wish I had thoughts on Robert James but we didn't see him at all last year because of his injury. From what I remember from last year, James is certainly not a safety so yes that would be disastrous. He is an undersized, speedy LB who could be a decent WLB for us, but since we haven't seen anything from him I have no idea if his skills will translate to the NFL game. Adding McRath adds a high character guy with almost unparalleled speed in this draft (Top 3 fastest LBs if not the fastest) which is never a bad thing to add. He can compete with James for the future of the WLB when Peterson leaves, and McRath can be a 3rd down LB right away which is something that we sorely needed last year.

Regardless, we need a S, and I think that if we can get a player that was considered a high 1st round draft pick off of college play that could be a stud for us in the future that it is a no-brainer. I hope TD and I see eye-to-eye on this.

One is William Moore, S out of Missouri.

From what TD has said, he looks at a player's body of work in college as opposed to offseason workouts. Moore's production at FS in 2007 and SS in 2008 at Missouri were impressive, and until Senior Bowl practices he was considered a 1st round pick going as high as to the Saints or Texans. He said he would not drop a guy for Senior Bowl performances, which applies directly to Moore. Come to think of it, I wouldn't be all too surprised if we selected him in the 1st round if we didn't think he'd be there for our 2nd. Of course I'd love for him to slide to our 2nd, but I'm not sure if he'll last that long. I think he is very high on our board as he is the #1 interchangeable safety in this draft - he can drop back and be a playmaker (8 INTs in 2007 as a FS) or step up in run support and be a force (86 tackles, 6.5 TFL in 2008 as a SS).

The second is Gerald McRath, OLB out of Southern Miss.

McRath is a very fast LB who has played SLB and MLB in his career at Southern Miss. He is an Atlanta native and he is a great leader both on and off the field. No character concerns here at all, and he is very good in coverage. He has the speed of a DB with the size of a LB and he is a tackle vulture having 104 tackle, 139 tackle, and 137 tackles from 2006-2008 in that order. He has the speed that TD wants our LBs to have and the character to make him a good organization fit.

We have shown interest in and worked out both of these players and I almost expect them to be Falcons by next Monday.

Both are high on my list as well.

Moore has the potential to be the next Troy Polamalu by combining his coverage skills with his ability to play the run. That is what separates him from the rest of these Safeties.

McGrath was a 1st rounder and I actually saw him go in the top 5 in a early season Mock. Although he isn't a playmaker in coverage, he sticks to his man like glue. He also has a bunch of potential and I am happy to know he is up to 231 lbs. One year under Mike Peterson and a weight program, and I think he will be ready to be our WLB of the future. Either McGrath or Darry Beckwith would be excellent picks for us and I am sure we will see one of them in a Falcons uniform.

TD scouting those LBs also gives us a clue that we might try to trade back and get some extra picks.

We have been in that 2nd round are a lot with our scouting: OG Duke Robinson, DE Michael Johnson, SS William Moore, S Louis Delmas, OT T.J. Lang.... and more that I can't think of off the top of my head.

What do you think about going with 2 offensive players (OT, and OG) if we had (2)2nds and 2(3rds)? I LOVE the idea of T.J. Lang and Duke Robinson. They are two very good players who would be definite upgrades over Clabo/Dahl.

Regardless of having DeCoud we still need another safety since Coleman is not a long term answer there. Also, TD drafted DeCoud primarily for his ST play and secondly his versatility which we covet in players. He can play either safety spot and has the ability to be a Cover 2 CB as well. I think we took DeCoud because he was our highest rated safety left in the 3rd round and we needed one, and he didn't like players at our other positions of need. I know DeCoud has had a season under his belt in the NFL, but I think Moore is the better player of the two and has the potential to be a stud in our system whereas DeCoud would be good at best. I could be wrong however, this is his combine overview from last year:

"Thomas DeCoud, an athletic pass defender with the quickness to play cornerback, is known for his skills on special teams.

With excellent leaping ability and long arms, he blocked six kicks during his first two seasons with the Bears. Despite his lean frame, he has also proven to be a solid tackler in the box, relishing his role of taking on ballcarriers on outside running plays.

His versatility was invaluable at Cal, where he played every position in the secondary. With his ball anticipation skills and acceleration to close on plays in front of him, DeCoud might have found a home at free safety, earning a full-time job for the first time in his collegiate career at that position as a senior. He is known around the Pac-10 Conference for his athleticism and intensity. "I've been hit by everybody on the team," Cal tailback Justin Forsett told the San Francisco Chronicle. "When Thomas hits you, it's not something you want to remember."

It seems like DeCoud will be our free safety, which means we still need a SS. I know it isn't our greatest need but we don't draft strictly for immediate need. We take the best players on the board at positions where we could use them. In a couple years a starting tandem of DeCoud and Moore could be the best one in the NFC South.

what has Coleman done to not suggest he can be solid to good for us for the next 3-4 years... He CARRIED Milloy in passing situations, seriously watch the games back, good player, does not need require replacing right now.

what has Coleman done to not suggest he can be solid to good for us for the next 3-4 years... He CARRIED Milloy in passing situations, seriously watch the games back, good player, does not need require replacing right now.

You are entitled to your opinion, but we have scouted all of the top safeties in this draft. We scouted William Moore, Louis Delmas, Patrick Chung, Rashad Johnson, Chip Vaughn, Nic Harris, and Sherrod Martin. (only missing Michael Hamlin from any top safety list)

If that isn't telling of our front office thinking we need a safety, I don't know what is.