Chief fan on the Tony Gonzalez deal

Congrats on getting Tony G. I have seen almost all his games the last few years; he is and will continue to be a great player. A couple of thoughts after listening to KC talk radio the last couple of hours.

1) 60% of KC fans think the Falcons got a better deal. I am in the 40% that think that is was a good move for KC.

2) Most are upset that the 2nd round pick is in 2010 and not 2009. I think that the 2010 draft will be better and there is decent chance the pick will be lower (there is more room for the Falcons record to decline than to improve;11-5 is not easy to achieve in the NFL)

3) I don't know how many of you watch KC often, but Tony G really is a great, one of a kind player. He rarely misses passes thrown to him; he destroys DBs and LBs who try to cover him. His blocking is all pro although he doesn't get credit for it. I really think he is as dominant as some of the best WRs over the last 10 years. He is in great shape and rarely takes hits. I see no reason why he can't play at a igh level for 5 more years. In fact I would love to see him return to KC a-la Shannon Sharp's return to Denver.

4) Because of the 2010 2nd round pick and the Cassel trade, some KC fans think there are more players involved in this deal. Glen Dorsey is the name that is making the rounds as is Brian Waters (Guard who is a multiple all pro, but wants out of KC). The following is from a KC blog:

"I just got a tip that on FOX Sports Radio they are reporting that Glenn Dorsey could also be going to the Atlanta Falcons, possibly as part of the Tony Gonzalez deal. We’ve seen something like this before (Vrabel-Cassel trade) from the Chiefs, so it wouldn’t be unprecedented for GM Scott Pioli. For now this is strictly a rumor, but one I felt was worthy of passing along."

Most KC fans think it would take the Falcons 1st round and a 2nd or 3rd round. As a diehard KC fan I would like them to get more for the #5 DL pick who I thought played much better than people give him credit for. He finished his rookie season with 46 tackles and a sack. Four more sacks and he would have been a rookie of the year canidate. KC's D line was not good, so he got little support.

5) KC is well, well, well under the cap and would not be impacted by the Dorsey cap hit. In fact, they might need it to meet the min salery requirement.

Once again congrats on Tony. I would love to see him get a superbowl before he retires.

I think this is a good deal for both teams, although I'm concerned about giving up a 2nd rounder - even in 2010 - for him for reasons I'll explain in a second.

First of all, the Chiefs get something of decent value for a guy who had expressed desire to get out of KC. The Falcons get a guy with the potential to open up what was already a strong offense even more. I say "potential" because I'm not sure our OC knows what to do with a TE. If you look at his track record, he's never used a tight end as a pass-catcher. Then again, he's never had a TE like Gonzalez.

Second of all, I agree with you about the Falcons in 2009. I think we're going to see a drop-off. The Falcons were extremely fortunate with regards to injuries last season, and the defense is in flux right now. They're going to have to have one heck of a draft and add another component or two to that defense if it's going to improve. And that schedule is brutal. Four teams coming off of bye weeks? I suspect that a 9-win season is going to be a remarkable feat this season when you consider the state of the defense, the relative injury-free 2008 and the schedule. That's okay, though, as long as we're moving forward. But the thought that we might be .500 and not have a 2nd round pick next season kind of bothers me.

All that said, this was a very good move for both teams. Chiefs got a draft pick of value, and the Falcons add another offensive weapon.

And I don't buy for a second that the Chiefs will trade Glenn Dorsey to anyone. I can't believe that a team is going to (a)give up obn a guy one year into his contract and (b)eat the cap space that will hit if they trade him. I think that's highly unlikely, and I think that anyone who suggests that is talking ouf of his hind end.

I think this is a good deal for both teams, although I'm concerned about giving up a 2nd rounder - even in 2010 - for him for reasons I'll explain in a second.

First of all, the Chiefs get something of decent value for a guy who had expressed desire to get out of KC. The Falcons get a guy with the potential to open up what was already a strong offense even more. I say "potential" because I'm not sure our OC knows what to do with a TE. If you look at his track record, he's never used a tight end as a pass-catcher. Then again, he's never had a TE like Gonzalez.

Second of all, I agree with you about the Falcons in 2009. I think we're going to see a drop-off. The Falcons were extremely fortunate with regards to injuries last season, and the defense is in flux right now. They're going to have to have one heck of a draft and add another component or two to that defense if it's going to improve. And that schedule is brutal. Four teams coming off of bye weeks? I suspect that a 9-win season is going to be a remarkable feat this season when you consider the state of the defense, the relative injury-free 2008 and the schedule. That's okay, though, as long as we're moving forward. But the thought that we might be .500 and not have a 2nd round pick next season kind of bothers me.

All that said, this was a very good move for both teams. Chiefs got a draft pick of value, and the Falcons add another offensive weapon.

And I don't buy for a second that the Chiefs will trade Glenn Dorsey to anyone. I can't believe that a team is going to (a)give up obn a guy one year into his contract and (b)eat the cap space that will hit if they trade him. I think that's highly unlikely, and I think that anyone who suggests that is talking ouf of his hind end.

chiefs are ********. falcons got the better deal and thats the end of it and the KC fans know it. they just dont want to admit that their team pulled such a stupid move.

Wow, I haven't seen you around in a while. I somewhat agree with your assessment. I'm more optimistic about our chances then you, however. I think the offense will be able to pull some of the weight for the D this year. There's really no weak spot on our offense as it is today, barring injuries.

Most KC fans think it would take the Falcons 1st round and a 2nd or 3rd round. As a diehard KC fan I would like them to get more for the #5 DL pick who I thought played much better than people give him credit for. He finished his rookie season with 46 tackles and a sack. Four more sacks and he would have been a rookie of the year canidate. KC's D line was not good, so he got little support.

take our 24th overall pick and Jamaal Anderson and we will call it a deal.

You can use that pick to trade for Julius Peppers

Yaa when the chiefs are going 3-4 they don't need Dorsey he is not big enough to play NT. Thats why they would trade him for our first round pick I think it would be worth it. They would trade him for that, because he didn't do that great but the whole defense wasn't that good. Dorsey could florish in our defense and like I said KC is going 3-4 what would you do with Dorsey, its a total regime change.

KC fan thanks for the kind words, I think we both got a good deal, KC doesn't realize their in a total tear down mode, But I'm sure Pioli will right the ship. ;)

i would say chiefs got a better pick as the 2010 draft is much deeper.

I disagree.

Tony is possibly the BEST to ever play the TE position EVER...........in the NFL.

TD hit a home run with only next year's 2.

The Falcons just became 5 times tougher to defend.

Matt Ryan is going to have a true weapon on 3rd downs, and even more importantly.................in the RED ZONE.

Great trade for Atlanta.

Period.

There is no question that Jamaal Anderson would be included in the swap. He hasn't panned out (and is the worst player in NFL history according to this board) but would fit in well in a 3-4. Even with the 50 million + contract the Falcons would have to give up more, perhaps their 3rd round pick THIS YEAR to get it done.

I think Jamaal Anderson and a 3rd round pick (maybe we give up our 2nd and get KC's 4th)

Congrats on getting Tony G. I have seen almost all his games the last few years; he is and will continue to be a great player. A couple of thoughts after listening to KC talk radio the last couple of hours.

1) 60% of KC fans think the Falcons got a better deal. I am in the 40% that think that is was a good move for KC.

2) Most are upset that the 2nd round pick is in 2010 and not 2009. I think that the 2010 draft will be better and there is decent chance the pick will be lower (there is more room for the Falcons record to decline than to improve;11-5 is not easy to achieve in the NFL)

3) I don't know how many of you watch KC often, but Tony G really is a great, one of a kind player. He rarely misses passes thrown to him; he destroys DBs and LBs who try to cover him. His blocking is all pro although he doesn't get credit for it. I really think he is as dominant as some of the best WRs over the last 10 years. He is in great shape and rarely takes hits. I see no reason why he can't play at a igh level for 5 more years. In fact I would love to see him return to KC a-la Shannon Sharp's return to Denver.

4) Because of the 2010 2nd round pick and the Cassel trade, some KC fans think there are more players involved in this deal. Glen Dorsey is the name that is making the rounds as is Brian Waters (Guard who is a multiple all pro, but wants out of KC). The following is from a KC blog:

"I just got a tip that on FOX Sports Radio they are reporting that Glenn Dorsey could also be going to the Atlanta Falcons, possibly as part of the Tony Gonzalez deal. We’ve seen something like this before (Vrabel-Cassel trade) from the Chiefs, so it wouldn’t be unprecedented for GM Scott Pioli. For now this is strictly a rumor, but one I felt was worthy of passing along."

5) KC is well, well, well under the cap and would not be impacted by the Dorsey cap hit. In fact, they might need it to meet the min salery requirement.

Once again congrats on Tony. I would love to see him get a superbowl before he retires.

First, thanks for the congrats - the majority of the fans are ecstatic over the upgrade at TE. I feel this will help our young QB when plays break down and increase our red zone efficiency immediately.

I don't know if Dorsey will be traded as well, we'll have to wait and see, but I can say without a doubt that I have complete faith in our GM to make the right decision for the team. I believe we give up what he feels is fair in exchange if it goes down. We'll have to wait until Saturday to see how it goes.

Being a KC fan, you may not realize that the Falcons have never had back to back winning seasons. Therefore, even if we have a drop in games won, if we win 9 games this year - you'll see a crazed fanbase over here. I think Tony gives us a better chance at winning 10 or more games in a very tough schedule this year.

I also think that you have a genius over there - at least based on what he has done in New England, so if I were a KC fan, I'd try to have a little faith in what your new GM is doing. Pioli is sharp.

As for the Superbowl, I'd love to see him get a couple before he retires. Thanks for the Congrats!

4) Because of the 2010 2nd round pick and the Cassel trade, some KC fans think there are more players involved in this deal. Glen Dorsey is the name that is making the rounds as is Brian Waters (Guard who is a multiple all pro, but wants out of KC). The following is from a KC blog
:

I hope so cause as it stands this trade is weak

man the kc fans are peeved...... check out what this fan had to say , Well he's gone. Tony Gonzalez has just been traded to the Atlanta Falcons. My congrads to the Falcons. You are getting a great player and a great team player.

Let me repeat that so Scott Pioli hears it loud and clear "A great TEAM player"

Am I pissed? Let me count the reasons:

1) Kansas City gets no compensation for Gonzalez. They don't get ONE DRAFT PICK.

They have to wait another year to get compensation. Nice job Scott

2) The whole reason Gonzalez wanted out was so he could get a ring. Since when are the Atlanta Falcons going to win the Super Bowl? Have you looked at their defense lately? I don't think so, Tony.

3) Scott Pioli came out and said Gonzalez NEVER once asked to be traded, unlike all the press reports released.

4) KC has yet one more huge hole to fill with no extra picks acquired for Gonzalez to fill it

5) If Gonzalez was from another team, Pioli would have TRADED to GET him. He brought 2 Patriots to Kansas City, giving up their 2nd round pick in the process. You don't think he'd want Gonzalez to come on board if he were a Patriot? He encompasses every intangible Pioli values. He's the "poster boy" for a team player.

6) Its not the money. KC has so much money that they're sitting on its a SIN Not since the Bengals of 20 years ago has a team been this frugal.

7) Its not the "Age Issue" either. How can you say we want to get younger after signing 3 players who are OLDER than GONZALEZ? Its because of Vrabel, Thomas and Engram's "leadership skills"? I suppose Tong Gonzalez isn't a leader or leads by example? That's news to me.

Any Chief fan knows there is no Offense without him. Cottam? Give me a break.

Gonzalez always drew double and triple coverage and it took 4 guys just to get him on the ground. Now with single coverage on a new TE doesn't that give the Defense 13 players vs 11 (so to speak)

And why did this happen? Good question. Only a moron would do this. Maybe we should ask Brian Watters his opinion. Oh I'm sorry that's right, he wants out even more. Sooner or later the FANS may be next.

All I can say is that they better have a draft for the ages this weekend, otherwise I might spend alot more time thinking about Baseball. Nice way

to kill my enthusiasm Scott, just before the draft no less

Congrads to the Falcons for pulling off a steal for a guy with 3 good years left. Congrads to the AFC West who will benefit the most from this move

One other note- KC wants Tyson Jackson according to a leading nationwide

TV cable station. We'll see in 2 days. At this point I'm not sure even that matters.