Coleman is leaving Vols. *** Update Coleman gives his side of the story***

SacFalcFan

University of Tennessee sophomore quarterback B.J. Coleman has informed the Times Free Press that he is leaving the program.

Frustrated by what he believes is a lack of opportunity to win the starting job, Coleman is not sure what his future plans will include.

“It’s the best move for me,” Coleman said. “What changed my mind is, after this spring, I don’t see myself getting a fair shake. Based on conversations with coaches and things that happened this spring, I feel the staff has goals that do not include me.

“I didn’t just quit. I didn’t just walk out. But I’m going to be taking a huge risk of losing another year of eligibility if I stay. I just want to play ball.”

For the last two weeks of practice, the former McCallie School star had taken more snaps with the second team, while senior Jonathan Crompton took over most of the first-team reps.

In the three spring scrimmages that were treated as game situations and played in Neyland Stadium, Coleman was a combined 41-of-60 for 425 yards, with four touchdowns and no interceptions.

By comparison, Crompton was a combined 31-of-70 for 324 yards, a touchdown and two interceptions. Rising junior Nick Stephens, who was limited by a broken right wrist, was 13-of-25 for 159 yards and two TDs.

“I gave it everything I had,” said Coleman, a former two-time Tennessee Mr. Football winner. “I couldn’t have had a better spring or made it more obvious to them that I was their guy. I proved it on the field and off.”

For more on this story, including audio from B.J. Coleman, check back to timesfreepress.com. For more on this story read Friday’s Times Free Press Sports section.

****** UPDATE******

Coleman Comments.. Read

after the way he got treated, I'm sure he's not too worried about his (former) coaches.

hardly smart when looking for another school is it.

Oh well nothing much to get upset about so he put up good numbers against a #2 defense in a very basic package. This would have been the 2nd OC who didn't pick him over Crompton..and that is saying something :lol:

after the way he got treated, I'm sure he's not too worried about his (former) coaches.

actually if you read BJ's comments he tried to meet with coach kiffin to discuss it, but kiffin refused to meet him.. he did tell a few of his teammates, but kiffin wouldn't deal with him.. it was clear to him that kiffin wasn't going to deal with him.. read the update.

Kiffin tried to reaarange a thursday meeting to monday

thursday evening and hes gone

kiffin didn't take the time to meet with the kid.. he knew what it was about. bj hasn't been happy.. kiffin made it clear to BJ where he stood. BJ's interview was enough.. the kid isn't lying and kiffin just isn't showing much character or class when dealing with his own players.

Depends how you see re-arranging a meeting...

BJs excuse of recruiting is BS aswell. Unlike Fulmer if your good enough you play, so i dont see how "supressing" a sophmore QB would show that once your good enough you start, and its not the first time he's been skipped over.

For someone who is made out to be a leader, he sure does look a quitter. Oh no in an open competition your played with the 2nd team. Man the **** up and prove your this great QB you want to be and dont let your ego get in the way which imo he did. He thought under the new regime he would be #1 and seemingly couldn't handle competiton just like Creer and so hoped of the boat.

Fair enough go somewhere where you think you will start, no problem but dont be so blind to think your Tom Brady and warrant a starting spot no quetsions asked.

actually if you read BJ's comments he tried to meet with coach kiffin to discuss it, but kiffin refused to meet him.. he did tell a few of his teammates, but kiffin wouldn't deal with him.. it was clear to him that kiffin wasn't going to deal with him.. read the update.

Kiffin tried to reschedule the meeting due to personal circumstances that did not allow him to meet with Coleman at their scheduled time. Apparently this set Coleman off and he went to the AD/press/etc after he was told that the meeting would need to be rescheduled.

that's what I was saying.