Was price too high for Tony Gonzalez?

vafalconfan

Posted on: April 23, 2009 3:10 pm

The Atlanta Falcons filled a huge hole at tight end Thursday by trading for Tony Gonzalez.

But they paid a steep price. Too steep in my mind.

The Falcons gave up a second-round pick in next year's draft for Gonzalez, the veteran tight end they acquired from the Kansas City Chiefs. I still think Gonzalez has two or three good years, but at 33 his best football is behind him.

I'm not sure that's worth a second-round pick. Gonzalez did catch 96 passes last season on a bad team, so for at least the next couple of years he should still be able to play at a high level. The Falcons' tight ends combined to catch 19 passes last season, with Justin Peele leading the way with 15.

So you can see the need. The Falcons might have considered a tight end early in this draft, and that player would not have played to the level of Gonzalez in 2009. That's a fact. But down the road, who knows?

Age and wear and tear are the reason I think the price is high. But who am I to question Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff? Last year, I didn't like his signing of Michael Turner. Boy was I wrong. And I told him I was wrong. We laugh about it now.

This will probably work out that way as well. So far, everything Dimitroff has done has paid off big time.

One more thing: Good luck defending that offense next year with Gonzalez in the middle of the field.

Posted on: April 23, 2009 3:10 pm

The Atlanta Falcons filled a huge hole at tight end Thursday by trading for Tony Gonzalez.

But they paid a steep price. Too steep in my mind.

The Falcons gave up a second-round pick in next year's draft for Gonzalez, the veteran tight end they acquired from the Kansas City Chiefs. I still think Gonzalez has two or three good years, but at 33 his best football is behind him.

I'm not sure that's worth a second-round pick. Gonzalez did catch 96 passes last season on a bad team, so for at least the next couple of years he should still be able to play at a high level. The Falcons' tight ends combined to catch 19 passes last season, with Justin Peele leading the way with 15.

So you can see the need. The Falcons might have considered a tight end early in this draft, and that player would not have played to the level of Gonzalez in 2009. That's a fact. But down the road, who knows?

Age and wear and tear are the reason I think the price is high. But who am I to question Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff? Last year, I didn't like his signing of Michael Turner. Boy was I wrong. And I told him I was wrong. We laugh about it now.

This will probably work out that way as well. So far, everything Dimitroff has done has paid off big time.

One more thing: Good luck defending that offense next year with Gonzalez in the middle of the field.

I like that last line in the article, "One more thing: Good luck defending that offense next year with Gonzalez in the middle of the field."

I still think Gonzalez has two or three good years, but at 33 his best football is behind him.

As demonstrated by how much he slowed down this year. Oh, wait...

Bear in mind that Prisco is a twit and his opinion is worth less than even the most obnoxious poster on this forum.

I think we should automatically add this to any post containing one of his "columns".

I like that last line in the article, "One more thing: Good luck defending that offense next year with Gonzalez in the middle of the field."

Chinatown, really you like that line the best????? I

By the way, a posession reciever that provides a big target keeps the ball in our offense hands and scores points.....that will help defend the middle of the field. We can now focus on defense early in draft.

Adding Gonzo is better than drafting a TE in RD 1 or signing Smith as FA

I've never understood that line of reasoning. If we suck this season than it becomes a high #2 pick next season.

It's basic economics. A dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow. A second round draft pick this weekend is worth more than a second round draft pick in 52 weeks.

Cool. You'll be wrong for a second year in a row and you can laugh about this trade, too. It's all good.

Gonzalez can run routes.................NFL routes...................in his SLEEP.

It will take 3 to 4 years for a player like Pettigrew to reach that level.

Tony G. will be a HUGE difference on 3rd downs............anywhere on the field.................AND..................in the ALL IMPORTANT red zone.

What a GREAT addition.

For anybody to think the Falcons gave up too much, man I just can't understand that line of reasoning. The Falcons just filled the only hole on their offense with the arguably the greatest receiving TE that every played, and did it without giving up anything in this year's draft. Now the Falcons can't concentrate on filling the holes on the dfense through the draft and a strategic free agent pick up or two, and this team is going to the Super Bowl, and they are going to win it too, because nobody is going to stop this offense.

That's right, I said it. Super Bowl this year.