Lifelong Chief's fan living in Atlanta area

TheCutMan

I'm over here now and will be a pain to many of you because of Tony G now being a Falcon. That is, those of you who think Tony G is over the hill, not worth the price or whatever other reason you may have. Allow me to introduce myself.

I'm the CutMan and a Chiefs fan since the 60s. Now, I'll be following your team because Tony G is on it and he'll make your (our) team far better. Far better. Some history. The Chiefs traded up to #13 overall , to then Houston's spot, in 1997 to draft Tony G because then head coach Marty Schottenheimer was enthralled with his past basketball skills at his college, Cal in Berkeley. Dallas had their eyes on Tony and would have drafted him but settled for the then top rated TE in the draft that year who busted since.

Tony G had these great hands right from the start and still has them. Throw to this guy in double coverage and those strong hands will snatch it away from any DB you care to name. As a rook, Tony G had to learn to run his route tree, having a bit of a problem going to open areas of the field when the play broke down and his QB was running for his life. Tony corrected that in his 2d year in the league and became the safety blanket of choice for many Chief's QBs over the years, including this past 2008 campaign when Tyler Thigpen's emergency QB status season was saved by Tony G.

The rap on Tony G early on was his lack of blocking ability which also has since been corrected to the point the Chiefs were running sweeps with Tony leading and getting the OLB turned inward if not buried. The Falcons have now got to be a totally dangerous weapon with Tony in the mix along with Roddy White, Jenkins and Tu rner. Who do you double?

You'd best double Tony because he'll burn your azzz if you don't anytime, everytime. I hate to see the Chiefs trade Tony G but if there was one team he had to go to, it's the Falcons because you'll see me at the Flowery Branch complex, wearing a Chief's #88 jersey and cheering on the greatest player in franchise history during pre-season camp. Celebrate Falcon's fans. You got a great one on your roster.

Good post! This town is full of NFL fans that grew up elsewhere and are still attached to "their" teams.. (my neighbor is a huge Cowboys fan from Dallas... can't get him to root for the Falcons). Cool to hear you'll be wearing a Falcons jersey and, hopefully, rooting for Gonzalez and the Falcons in the Dome!

I'm over here now and will be a pain to many of you because of Tony G now being a Falcon. That is, those of you who think Tony G is over the hill, not worth the price or whatever other reason you may have. Allow me to introduce myself.

I'm the CutMan and a Chiefs fan since the 60s. Now, I'll be following your team because Tony G is on it and he'll make your (our) team far better. Far better. Some history. The Chiefs traded up to #13 overall , to then Houston's spot, in 1997 to draft Tony G because then head coach Marty Schottenheimer was enthralled with his past basketball skills at his college, Cal in Berkeley. Dallas had their eyes on Tony and would have drafted him but settled for the then top rated TE in the draft that year who busted since.

Tony G had these great hands right from the start and still has them. Throw to this guy in double coverage and those strong hands will snatch it away from any DB you care to name. As a rook, Tony G had to learn to run his route tree, having a bit of a problem going to open areas of the field when the play broke down and his QB was running for his life. Tony corrected that in his 2d year in the league and became the safety blanket of choice for many Chief's QBs over the years, including this past 2008 campaign when Tyler Thigpen's emergency QB status season was saved by Tony G.

The rap on Tony G early on was his lack of blocking ability which also has since been corrected to the point the Chiefs were running sweeps with Tony leading and getting the OLB turned inward if not buried. The Falcons have now got to be a totally dangerous weapon with Tony in the mix along with Roddy White, Jenkins and Tu rner. Who do you double?

You'd best double Tony because he'll burn your azzz if you don't anytime, everytime. I hate to see the Chiefs trade Tony G but if there was one team he had to go to, it's the Falcons because you'll see me at the Flowery Branch complex, wearing a Chief's #88 jersey and cheering on the greatest player in franchise history during pre-season camp. Celebrate Falcon's fans. You got a great one on your roster.

Great post, glad to have you on board here. We are always happy to find fans (even those from of teams) who are willing to talk some real football.

You don't have to tell me. I'm a student of the game since 66. I know what we got.

Most people thought our biggest hole was on defense. Not me. TE threat was bigger. Solved. I wish he was younger but we should be able to get at least two out of him.

HERE HERE Great words man,,,, Nuff Respect welcome to the Falcons Board Homie

Thanks very much for all the warm replies. Adding a few more memories of Tony G as a Chief, he was quite verbal about wanting out last year when then head coach Herm Edwards was deep into rebuilding mode. There were rumors of Tony being shopped around the league with Philly being the prime suitor but then GM Carl Peterson turned down all offers and told Tony he would remain on the Chiefs.

Tony G, to his credit, conducted a team meeting with all the players and coaches present and pledged that his play would not be affected by all the negative rumors, that he would re-dedicate himself and give everything he had for the team last year. He did exactly that in spite of longing for an opportunity to be on a legitimate playoff and Superbowl contending team.

Look up the stats from last year if you want to know about your new SuperStar TE. He caught 10 TD passes, was a force that drew consistent double teams, allowed Dwayne Bowe (who must be in a state of mourning now) to get free and made the Chiefs competitive in a 2-14 season where the Chiefs lost 9 of those games by less than 7 points. Main reason? The new TE for the Falcons, that's who.

Tony is a class act all the way and I can't wait to see his influence on this emerging Falcon's team. I have to think the other teams in the NFC South are now saying, "Oh....Sh.--"

Welcome TheCutMan! I'm really excited about this deal, just like so many are. What really made me like this even more was that we get to keep all of our draft picks this year. I've always like Gonzo, and whenever fantasy football comes around I have usually gone after him for my team. I can't wait to see what Tony adds to our offense, and how much better our team will be after the draft this weekend. :D

I hope we can get 3-4 good years out of Tony as an Atlanta Falcon. I just got even more excited about this coming year!