Everyone has changed there mind?

My guess would be because nobody wanted to give up a 2nd round pick this year. Giving up a 2010 2nd round pick, along with getting some compensatory picks, makes it easier to swallow.

That was exactly it for me. The more I think about the mismatches he will create just being on the field, is what I am getting excited about. He doesnt even need to produce, he just needs to draw all coverage in middle of the field and let HD run right past the D.

i've read all the hate you all have been saying about this trade the past couple weeks,i would say 90% didn't want this to happen,now that it has it seems you all love it :huh: :huh: :huh: someone explain i'm confused

yeah, dirtybirdies - I still REALLY LIKE your wife a lot! (for those of you that don't know, dirtybirdies claims the girl in the sig is his wife ;) )

well yes, I was one of those that did not want Gonzo - its hard to be "against" getting the guy because he is a PHENOMENAL TALENT!!!! My only complaint is the guy is 33 years old and while he has been sensational the last two years, he is due for a dropoff sometime in the near future - if we get two great years out of Tony then I say it will be a "draw" on the trade. If we get one great year and win a superbowl then I will say the same. If we get one great year and then Tony G. goes into a severe decline - well then I think we would have to say we overpaid.

Regardless, its going to be fun for 2009! :D

i've read all the hate you all have been saying about this trade the past couple weeks,i would say 90% didn't want this to happen,now that it has it seems you all love it :huh: :huh: :huh: someone explain i'm confused

No body really change their minds. However the price changed. Before today, it was 2nd rounder this year. After today it's next year's second rounder and that's a big difference. We get to keep a pick we can use to fill a hole on defense. So there's a reason why people's mind changed. This was a real good deal for the Falcons. The previous potential would not have been a good deal for Falcons. I hope that explains it for you.

Because we NOT giving them the 2nd ground pick OF THIS YEAR draft!

We need to improve our Defense reall bad this upcoming draft because of our brutal schedule this year.

and now no more worries on getting Pettergrew at the 24th pick.

Who knows what position we pickin at the 2nd ground of next year draft, but everyone knows that we getting Matt Ryan and Probowl TE!

there could be a million more reason but thats the ones that sticking out in my head right now

First thing to note. This is a different trade than the one projected earlier. I said on here just as quite a few people (not everybody) that Gonzalez is great but a 2nd this year is too high considering there is a great need for starters on defense. The fact that some starters may be put in place this year and also the compensatory picks for next year will lessen the severity of losing the second round pick next year.

First thing to note. This is a different trade than the one projected earlier. I said on here just as quite a few people (not everybody) that Gonzalez is great but a 2nd this year is too high considering there is a great need for starters on defense. The fact that some starters may be put in place this year and also the compensatory picks for next year will lessen the severity of losing the second round pick next year.

I think saying that the compensatory picks in 2010 will lessen the impact of giving up a 2nd rounder in 2010 is bull-crapo!!!! However, I would not be suprised to see Dimitroff trade back to pick up an extra 3rd rounder this year or get back a 2nd rounder in 2010 to offset the one we just lost - now THAT will make up for the 2010 pick we just gave up for Gonzo! (if it happens of course)

dont get me wrong i'm happy to have him,i rarely criticize on moves the organization makes(us fans have no say)so whatever happens,happens

i just hope we didnt give up an early 2nd rounder next year,but the comp picks should help

The comp picks are what make this trade beautiful. You can almost look at it as getting him for free. Wasnt the orignal proposal like a 2 and 5 this year or something???? I dont know if I would have been down for that. But all in all, I think we made out great.

The price was too high even for a HOF! We got him for a 2nd round pick next year!!! Who wouldnt be excited! I have always been a fan of TG!!! He is the only reason I played with the chiefs on Madden!!!!!

I think saying that the compensatory picks in 2010 will lessen the impact of giving up a 2nd rounder in 2010 is bull-crapo!!!! However, I would not be suprised to see Dimitroff trade back to pick up an extra 3rd rounder this year or get back a 2nd rounder in 2010 to offset the one we just lost - now THAT will make up for the 2010 pick we just gave up for Gonzo! (if it happens of course)

Any way you slice the Falcons won't make up for the pick. That's getting something for nothing. I don't think the Texans or Crazy Al would go for that. All I was saying is a second round next year has less value than this year and with the addition of compensatory picks this should lessen not completely replace the loss especially if TD continues to have success in the later rounds.

dont get me wrong i'm happy to have him,i rarely criticize on moves the organization makes(us fans have no say)so whatever happens,happens

i just hope we didnt give up an early 2nd rounder next year,but the comp picks should help

man i can't read what you said cause you got that girl grinding. come on cuzz knock it down a level or two ........ B)

I view it more as a signal that the front office thinks that this team is ready to win now, which has me excited. With the laid-back approach to free agency and continually stressing the "process" idea, it seemed like the front office was still stuck in a build-for-the-future mentality. This move convinces me that the front office thinks that the pieces are in place for this team to make major moves.

Also, the Pats rarely traded picks for veterans - when they did, it generally worked out very well for them (Welker, Dillon, Moss). This signals to me that Gonzo is viewed as the missing piece that's going to put us over the edge.

Also, although a constant complaint about getting a TE was that Mularkey's offense doesn't integrate a TE in the passing game, Mularkey is a genius and he'll adapt his gameplanning to account for Gonzo's talents. I think our red zone offense will be way more productive as a result. Also, Mularkey had to mix in so many gimmick plays last year - with Gonzo, we can mix in more bread-and-butter type game plans and keep defenses constantly guessing. Also, good luck to those defensive coordinators trying to figure out how to cover White, Jenkins, Douglas, Finneran and Gonzo when we go 4-wide...