What are the pros and cons of each. I read Smith wanted to run both, what does the 3-4 do that 4-3 doesnt?

3-4= More confusing, more finesse, better pass rush

4-3= Str8 up, more dominating, better run stuffing

That's all in theory of course. For example, there is nothing finesse about the Steelers. And nothing dominating about the Lions and other bad 4-3 teams.

The 3 - 4 is an attacking defense set up to allow the maximum flexibility of the linebackers to move around the field, blitz and to drop into coverage. One of the most important aspect of running a 3 - 4 is the ability of the secondary to play man to man and the safety to cover large amounts of field.

The 4 - 3 on the other hand is a reactive defense that relies heavily on zone coverage’s and the ability of the front 4 to get to the QB without much blitzing help. Now you can blitz in a 4 - 3 but you almost always open huge holes in the defense pass coverage and if the rush does not get to the QB a good offense will pick it apart.

Generally, both require certain types of players that may not fit both the 3 - 4 and 4 - 3, however; there have been a couple of teams that successfully run both. Most dominate defensive teams generally only run one and I believe that the most overwhelmingly successful defenses have run the 3 - 4, however; there have been some very good D's that have run a 4 - 3 or zone predominate defense.

3-4 defenses: three lineman, all usually bigger lineman. They are meant to control gaps and take up blockers. They really aren't known as the playmakers.

The linebackers are known as the playmakers. You have your outside linebackers, who usually is that extra pass rusher and two inside linebackers who really have to be complete backers seeing how one of their olb is rushing most of the time.

4-3

Four lineman who usually all rush(depending on the scheme, some can control gaps while other are meant to create pressure). Three Linebackers who can blitz, stay in zone coverage or go man to man on someone if athletic enough

Basically you can draw up more plays with the three four because you don't know who the fourth rusher is

Generally, both require certain types of players that may not fit both the 3 - 4 and 4 - 3, however; there have been a couple of teams that successfully run both. Most dominate defensive teams generally only run one and I believe that the most overwhelmingly successful defenses have run the 3 - 4, however; there have been some very good D's that have run a 4 - 3 or zone predominate defense.

The reason for the success of the 3-4 in recent (the past 10) years IMO is because of the need for more athletes on the field. But 4-3 can still rock.

all i know is that the 3-4 is the way to go? patriots 3 time superbowl champ 3-4 check, steelers 2 time superbowl champ in the last 4 years 3-4 check

most of the top defenses in the NFL are 3-4 dallas,pittsburgh,baltimore. i dont know exactly what it does, i just know its easier to confuse opposing qb's with the 3-4

for instance peyton manning one of the best qb's in the NFL, has struggled his entire career against the 3-4 against patriots and the chargers.

pats run a mutiple d. they run 4-3 and 3-4. you forgot to include the giants (4-3), bucs (4-3), ravens (ran a 4-3 at the time), colts (4-3), who all won a SB this decade.

The reason for the success of the 3-4 in recent (the past 10) years IMO is because of the need for more athletes on the field. But 4-3 can still rock.

Tampa did very well with a 4 - 3, but they had four guys on the front line that could get to the QB and cause problems in the backfield. I agree a 3 -4 requires more athletic playmakers to be successful. Especially at SS and OLB AND the corners have to be able to go man to man. Pittsburgh and Baltimore are prime examples of teams that use a 3 - 4 very successfully and both teams are stacked athletically. You can hide a lot of weakness with a 4 - 3 if the team plays well together. If you have a weakness in a 3 - 4 good offenses will kill you.

Tampa did very well with a 4 - 3, but they had four guys on the front line that could get to the QB and cause problems in the backfield. I agree a 3 -4 requires more athletic playmakers to be successful. Especially at SS and OLB AND the corners have to be able to go man to man. Pittsburgh and Baltimore are prime examples of teams that use a 3 - 4 very successfully and both teams are stacked athletically. You can hide a lot of weakness with a 4 - 3 if the team plays well together. If you have a weakness in a 3 - 4 good offenses will kill you.

Agree, but Tampa did have Rice and Sapp on that DL, 2 of the most athletic players @ their positions in league history. Their are far more athletic 250 lb. players built 4 the 34 @ OLB than elite 265-270 lb. athletes built 4 the 43 @ DE. U see where I'm comin from? I'm not pickin a side, (I personally prefer a Nickel 335 :P ) just makin an arguement.

Agree, but Tampa did have Rice and Sapp on that DL, 2 of the most athletic players @ their positions in league history. Their are far more athletic 250 lb. players built 4 the 34 @ OLB than elite 265-270 lb. athletes built 4 the 43 @ DE. U see where I'm comin from? I'm not pickin a side, (I personally prefer a Nickel 335 :P ) just makin an arguement.

Oh, I agree with you the 3 - 4 is a much more athletic defense. I prefer a 3 - 4 but if it's not run correctly with the correct pieces in place the defense will get trounced. I know a lot of people would like to see Atlanta go to a 3 - 4, but with what we have right now on defense I do not see that happening.

This easy. The 4-3, or vise versa is a defense designed specificallity for stopping the offense from moving the ball down the fields. On the other side of the fence, so to speak, the 3-4, or in this case also vice versa, is used to stop the offense from moving there balls down the field.

Hope that help,

Emmitt

This easy. The 4-3, or vise versa is a defense designed specificallity for stopping the offense from moving the ball down the fields. On the other side of the fence, so to speak, the 3-4, or in this case also vice versa, is used to stop the offense from moving there balls down the field.

Hope that help,

Emmitt

It helps waz emince, so to speak Emit ;)