Looks like honesty is lacking in this whole torture debate

savwboy9

Top legislators knew of interrogations

CIA held dozens of briefings on techniques

By Kara Rowland (Contact) | Thursday, April 23, 2009

The CIA briefed top Democrats and Republicans on the congressional intelligence committees on enhanced interrogation techniques more than 30 times, according to intelligence sources, who said those members tacitly approved the techniques which some Democrats in Congress now say should land Bush administration officials in prison."

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/apr/2...interrogations/

Hill Briefed on Waterboarding in 2002

In Meetings, Spy Panels' Chiefs Did Not Protest, Officials Say

In September 2002, four members of Congress met in secret for a first look at a unique CIA program designed to wring vital information from reticent terrorism suspects in U.S. custody. For more than an hour, the bipartisan group, which included current House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), was given a virtual tour of the CIA's overseas detention sites and the harsh techniques interrogators had devised to try to make their prisoners talk.

Among the techniques described, said two officials present, was waterboarding, a practice that years later would be condemned as torture by Democrats and some Republicans on Capitol Hill. But on that day, no objections were raised. Instead, at least two lawmakers in the room asked the CIA to push harder, two U.S. officials said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7120801664.html

Obama wasn't elected until 2004, so he may personally slide by due to his late arrival, but this is why I used the adage in another thread about being careful digging for one body because you may find 100.

Yea let's not investigate cause we may find criminals, that's a great way to run things. Doesn't matter the party ties if you broke the law you need to be held accountable. Democrat or Republican we can't hold other governments to standards we can't adhere to ourselves. This whole idea of putting the genie back in the bottle is just going to make us look worse.

We look like hypocrites on the world stage, we will never be taken seriously until we clean up our own act.

Yea let's not investigate cause we may find criminals that's a great way to run things. Doesn't matter the party ties if you broke the law you need to be held accountable. Democrat or Republican we can't hold other governments to standards we can't adhere to ourselves.

We look like hypocrites on the world stage, we will never be taken seriously until we clean up our own act.

It looks like if you put Bush/Cheney on trial , you will have to put alot of other people on trial , including alot of dems in powerful positions

It looks like if you put Bush/Cheney on trial , you will have to put alot of other people on trial , including alot of dems in powerful positions

So be it, if they honestly broke International and United States Law they need to be properly punished and weeded out of our political system regardless of what political party or office they are apart of.

If we cannot punish those that break the law why have the laws in the first place? What sort of example does this show the world or even our own country?

Obama wasn't elected until 2004, so he may personally slide by due to his late arrival, but this is why I used the adage in another thread about being careful digging for one body because you may find 100.

I bet Vick wishes the FBI would have taken that attitude a couple of years ago. :lol:

Like I said, this thing needs to be swept under the rug and fast. The last thing we need is evidence that all the leaders in Congress knew about it and approved it. It would show the world just how funked up we really are.

Wow you people are amazing, sweep it under the rug, make it go away regardless of the crimes committed. Maybe we should water board those trying to get to the truth?

If America wants to stand as the world's leading country and the example to be followed how can we suggest that we just hide everything wrong that we do?

How can we fight to spread and defend democracy when our government doesn't even adhere to our own laws in our own country?

It is impossible to prevent every single crime and I don't think anyone expects us to do that no matter how horrible these charges are, but once exposed if we do nothing then we completely undermine our entire ideals of American society.

The bigger crime is to sweep it under the rug once things like this have come to light.

Like I said, this thing needs to be swept under the rug and fast. The last thing we need is evidence that all the leaders in Congress knew about it and approved it. It would show the world just how funked up we really are.

If EVERYONE was held accountable and punished regardless of political party or position, I think it would show the world that we aren't really full of shyt like they think we are...

This just shows you the deceit coming out of Obama's admin. This is supposed to coware republicans into siding with him or agreeing with him, and it shows you how intellectually dishonest he is. This is disgraceful.

Hey smart guy, Obama's not the one pushing for an investigation. That's coming from members of Congress and the media. I'm sure when Congress was briefed they were told that the Justice Department had sanctioned the legality of all of it. Even then they should have had enough moral compass to know it's wrong. As far as I'm concerned anyone who knew the extent of the interrogation practices and did nothing is an accessory after the fact and should be treated as such. That includes Pelosi, Reed, Santa Claus or anyone else.

If EVERYONE was held accountable and punished regardless of political party or position, I think it would show the world that we aren't really full of shyt like they think we are...

Oh I agree, but the problem is it will expose just how deep this stuff goes in Washington.

I don't care about the politicians, I don't want KSM, Zubayda, and a whole litany of ACTUAL terrorists to walk under the guise of inadmissible evidence. I mean that is what we're talking about here if this path is pursued.

And some of you are naive enough to believe that it didn't occur before, and it won't continue to occur after, all under the tidy little mantle of rendition.

I don't care about the politicians, I don't want KSM, Zubayda, and a whole litany of ACTUAL terrorists to walk under the guise of inadmissible evidence. I mean that is what we're talking about here if this path is pursued.

And some of you are naive enough to believe that it didn't occur before, and it won't continue to occur after, all under the tidy little mantle of rendition.

So your suggested path to fix it is to just ignore it?

So your suggested path to fix it is to just ignore it?

My suggested path is to do exactly what Obama is doing (maybe not exactly, but close). Call it out, condemn it, say that it isn't our policy, remove the "official" nature of it, and move on with other important matters.

You go down this path, and you'll turn a small cut into a gaping wound in no time. And the world will not take this opportunity to look at us in a new light, they will only use it to their advantage against us. Self interest rules the day in the geo political world.

My suggested path is to do exactly what Obama is doing (maybe not exactly, but close). Call it out, condemn it, say that it isn't our policy, remove the "official" nature of it, and move on with other important matters.

You go down this path, and you'll turn a small cut into a gaping wound in no time. And the world will not take this opportunity to look at us in a new light, they will only use it to their advantage against us. Self interest rules the day in the geo political world.

Explain how it will be used as an advantage against us?

Not being oppressive and ignorant of other cultures can help fight future contempt for this country.