American Idol: The Top 7 Redux

Ton80Kid

For the 2nd straight week, thanks to the Judges' Save, Idol finds us watching the Top 7 take the stage. This week's theme, Disco Night, was surpringsly enough, entertaining, although I think they need to pass a rule to limit the contestants to just 1 Donna Summer song for future reincarnations of this theme. Interestingly, with the return of the same 7 singers from a week ago, this week's performances played out much the same way as last week. In fact, my top 3 from this week is identical to my top 3 last week. Sadly though, my bottom 3 choices from this week are also identical to last week...and with the reality that 2 contestants will be leaving the competition tonight, there probably wasn't a whole lot of folks resting easy last night. So, let's get to it, shall we?

The show opened up with thud, brought in large part by this season's most overrated song stylist, Lil Rounds. This week's victim for the Diva Butcher from Memphis...Chaka Khan and her disco anthem to empowered women, "I'm Every Woman", which ironically seems to have summed up Lil's season thus far. Her performance was a mix of tone deaf, off key warbling, and campy stage theatrics. At this point, I'm not even sure she's capapble of a decent Vegas karaoke show. She was in the bottom 2 last week. If that happens again this week, it'll be her final curtail call for the competition. All I know for sure is that Votefortheworst.com has been working overtime the last 3 or 4 weeks to keep her around, and after last night's trainwreck, they'll have to rally ALL their members in hopes of keeping her around for another week.

Kris Allen took to the stage armed with our first Donna Summer sighting of the night. Singing "She Works Hard for the Money" and keeping with his personal style, he stripped the bombastic dance number down to a cool Santana styled song...and IMO, it was one of the best performances of the night. Outside of one horrible week a few weeks ago, Kris has been one of the most consistently impressive contestants on the show this season.

Danny Gokey chose "September" by Earth, Wind, and Fire and was pretty good last night. His usual screaming was toned down, and surpringsly enough, he actually sang most of his routine this week. Still not loving him, and I'm still believing he's more a product of a huge hype and a tremendous backstory, but he did do a solid job last night, and I seriously doubt he's in any kind of jeopardy this week. For all of you Danny Gokey fans out there, let me just say this...he wasn't as good as Anwar Robinson was, back in season 4, singing this song. Anwar, like Danny, is also a music teacher, and like Danny, he arranged a more melodic version of this song for his performance. When that week's results came in, Anwar was the one sent packing. Just keep that in mind when you watch the results' show tonight.

The 2nd Donna Summer song of the night was brought to us by Allison Iraheta, who chose "Hot Stuff" and ramped up the guitars and turned the song into a power chord filled rock ballad. Though I don't think it was her best vocal performance of this season, I loved what she did with the song. She definitely put her own stamp on it. Not sure what her chances are of actually making the finals in this competition, but what I am sure of is she doesn't have to advance any further into this competition to prove she's ready to make an album.

Just as he did during Motown week, Adam Lambert toned down his flamboyant stylings, dawned the shiny suit, poofed up the hair and hit the stage with a very unique take on well known song. Singing a stripped down version of the Disco dance ballad, "If I Can't Have You" by Yvonne Elliman, Adam was actually impressive, though he still had to add a dash of Ethel Merman in his performance. Granted, we've seen this change of pace from him before, but it still was a very interesting performance, and continues to prove that Danny has a lot of stage presence and music saavy to actually win this competition. Like Danny, I don't see Adam facing any kind of jepoardy tonight.

After receiving the prized Judges' Save for the season, last week, Matt Giraud decided to send out a message to America by singing "Staying Alive" by the BeeGees. Trying his best to add a little Justin Timberlake flair to his performance, Matt abandoned the piano, and came out dancing. The best I can say for Matt was that he was better than he was last week. Unfortunately, he wasn't great this weekand in a week where 2 singers will be sent packing, it's not enough to just be better than the worst performance...as a result, I think Matt is on his way back to the bottom 3. Whether that means he's gone this week or not, I can't say, but I can say that I was disappointed in both his song choice and performance last night.

Closing out disco night this year was Anoop Desai, who has revamped his strategy for staying alive in this competition by simply singing ballads week after week now. He's become this season's Anthony Federov, and unfortunately for him, he's not as good as Federov with this new schtick. Anoop dusted off the 3rd Donna Summer song of the night, "Dim All the Lights"...and unfortunately for him, when Ryan says that phrase tonight, to announce who's in the bottom 3, I got a feeling that we'll, once again, hear Anoop's name called.

Not sure who's going home...IMO, Lil definitely needs to be sent packing, though her support from Votefortheworst.com is very similar to support that Scott Savol received 4 seasons ago, so who knows? Maybe Lil will dodge another much deserved bullet. The show, despite the judges' claims to the contrary, is still not as much a singing competiton, as it is a popularity contest. Voting is free, so it's easy to see why even bad singers hang around and around and around, and great singers, and sometimes even front-runners, end up going home before they should. At this point, I honestly couldn't say who's getting the boot...my bottom 3 would be Lil, Matt, and Anoop, and at this point, all 3 of them have to know that they're on borrowed time. :unsure:

Lil just kind of sucks... no creativity whatsoever.... needs to go.....

anoop is a descent singer but very boring. nothing special to me..

Danny Gockey isnt that great to me either. He can definatly sing but every time I hear him all I can think of is Michael Bolton... that is not good

adam and allison are by far the best IMO

Here's my rundown of the Magnificent 7:

Kris - At this point I think it will be a shame if he doesn't win it. IMO he is by far the most marketable talent in the show.

Lil - I don't get why the judges keep saying she has such a great voice. Mediocre at best. See ya.

Adam - Still not a big fan. The song he sang last night has a beautiful melody which Adam completely abandoned for the sake of "artistry". WTF? It's fine to interpret a song but it's garbage to completely rewrite it.

Danny - Maybe the best pure voice of the lot. Needs to grieve and get on with it though.

Matt - I like Matt. I really wish he hadn't tried to do a Bee Gees song last night. It's gonna be close.

Allison - At one point I thought she could be another Pat Benatar. Now her voice sounds like just another lounge singer to me.

Anoop - Frat boys in pink sweaters? Really? See ya.

I became an Idol fan just this season to keep my fiance happy. I've become a real fan, much to my surprise. It IS entertaining!

Adam Lambert is gonna win this thing hands down. It don't matter to me that he's gay. He simply has shown more originality and creativity than any of the others IMHO.

Lil Rounds has become a big disappointment for me. I thought for weeks that she was the only one that had the pipes to compete with Adam, but bad song choices has been her undoing, again IMHO. She's a good-looking gal though and she CAN sing. She has a future in the business, as do most of the remaining contestants.

The real contest is for 2nd and 3rd place. My prediction is:

1. Adam

2. Kris

3. Allyson

Y'all remember the blind guy, Scott? My girl said that if he became a "Christian" singer, he'd make a fortune. I have to agree.

Two weeks in a row have been crappy for me. My favorites didn't do great and the not as good ones stayed not as good. Of course the disco theme has a lot to do with that. The only two that are totally safe are Danny and Adam. I have a feeling if by some miracle Lil Rounds isn't voted off tonight that Simon will personally kick her off the show. I haven't seen the previous 3 or 4 seasons, but I can't imagine someone else making it as far as this and getting killed every week by the judges.

Two weeks in a row have been crappy for me. My favorites didn't do great and the not as good ones stayed not as good. Of course the disco theme has a lot to do with that. The only two that are totally safe are Danny and Adam. I have a feeling if by some miracle Lil Rounds isn't voted off tonight that Simon will personally kick her off the show. I haven't seen the previous 3 or 4 seasons, but I can't imagine someone else making it as far as this and getting killed every week by the judges.

Scott Savol and Sanjaya are the only 2 that I can remember that basically got killed every week, and still managed to make it deep into the competition...I think both made the top 6... :wacko:

As my man Superfan said, I made him watch it at the beginning, but now I think he is a bigger fan than I.

However, we disagree on a few of the singers.

I think Adam will win it hands-down. He is an extraordinary artist and singer.

I think the final three will be Adam, Danny and Alyson. They all will have great careers, no doubt!

As my man Superfan said, I made him watch it at the beginning, but now I think he is a bigger fan than I.

I think the final three will be Adam, Danny and Alyson. They all will have great careers, no doubt!

Is that you in the picture? That is hilarious if it is :lol: . Did Supes talk you into doing that or did you come up with it?

Yeah, see, I just don't get the whole Adam thing. I mean, I see how he appeals to women with his Elvis / David Cassidy vibe but IMO it's a stretch to call him an extraordinary artist. This too is my first season watching Idol. The upside is I have a deal with my wife that if Adam wins I never have to watch again. I have to admit it's been entertaining though. Oh well, viva la difference!

Oh, and I have a theory why the judges saved Matt last week. It's no secret the network was pretty hot the the show kept running over. Problem solved :D .

Is that you in the picture? That is hilarious if it is :lol: . Did Supes talk you into doing that or did you come up with it?

I helped her come up with it, lol!

Speaking of her, my baby can sing too! Click on the link then click on "Download" to hear Superfan's Woman singing "It's Not Love", a song she did with her former band "The Zoots". I hope this works. Should open and play in Windows Media, audio only.

http://www.plunder.com/-download-cda3210baa.htm

That's my baby and she's my idol! ;)

I helped her come up with it, lol!

Speaking of her, my baby can sing too! Click on the link then click on "Download" to hear Superfan's Woman singing "It's Not Love", a song she did with her former band "The Zoots". I hope this works. Should open and play in Windows Media, audio only.

http://www.plunder.com/-download-cda3210baa.htm

That's my baby and she's my idol! ;)

Cool Supes and Mrs. Supes...kinda got a Nina Simone feel to it...thanks for sharing. :)

There are really four possible real recording artists in this bunch. They are in order:

1. Adam - a superstar. Needs to stop squealing like a pig tho

2. Kris - maybe the best pure artist

3. Allison - gets points for her age but is starting to sound limited to me

4. Danny - good voice but no variation and absolutely no stage presence.