Telling team stats for William Moore

So a lot of people are crazy about William Moore's 8 int's in the 2007-2008 season when he was asked to drop back more in coverage. Well, I did a quick search for Big 12 team stats in 2007, and it provided a couple of very telling reasons to explain why Moore was in position to pick a lot of passes off.

1.) Missouri was tied for second in sacks in the Big 12 that season. Only Oklahoma got more pressure on the QB that season than did the Missouri defensive line. That obviously tells me on many snaps, the opposing quarterback did not have a lot of time to make decisions in the pocket, leading to a lot of mistakes. It also tells me that Moore did not have to drop in coverage for too long. He had the luxury of reading the quarterback and jumping the route without having to display great instincts in prolonged zone coverage. He also did not have to worry too much about a receiver getting by him, giving him the ability to be much more aggressive for the football.

2.) Missouri also had a very good rush defense that season, limiting opponents to 3.6 yards per carry (fourth in the conference). This reveals to me that their opponents got in more than few third and longs, allowing more pass rush situations for that stellar pass rush. This creates more mistakes from the opposing QBs, putting Moore in position for more interception opportunities.

3.) Missouri was in the bottom half of the Big 12 in pass defense that season, illustrating a little William Moore's impact as a coverage safety that season. This stat doesn't tell everything, as Mizzou had a great offense and a good rush D, making teams throw a lot more than usual.

Just a few signs that might help explain why William Moore was successful at getting interceptions in 2007. I think he's a very athletic kid, with good to very good ball skills, but after seeing him in 2008 and at the Senior Bowl, and after reading a few scouting reports, I still see a lot to question in terms of his instincts in zone coverage and his fluidity in man. I really think at the next level he will be very strong in the box, and he might pick a few balls off, but I don't think he'll be an elite safety that is truly interchangeable in coverage like a lot of people think.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So a lot of people are crazy about William Moore's 8 int's in the 2007-2008 season when he was asked to drop back more in coverage. Well, I did a quick search for Big 12 team stats in 2007, and it provided a couple of very telling reasons to explain why Moore was in position to pick a lot of passes off.

1.) Missouri was tied for second in sacks in the Big 12 that season. Only Oklahoma got more pressure on the QB that season than did the Missouri defensive line. That obviously tells me on many snaps, the opposing quarterback did not have a lot of time to make decisions in the pocket, leading to a lot of mistakes. It also tells me that Moore did not have to drop in coverage for too long. He had the luxury of reading the quarterback and jumping the route without having to display great instincts in prolonged zone coverage. He also did not have to worry too much about a receiver getting by him, giving him the ability to be much more aggressive for the football.

2.) Missouri also had a very good rush defense that season, limiting opponents to 3.6 yards per carry (fourth in the conference). This reveals to me that their opponents got in more than few third and longs, allowing more pass rush situations for that stellar pass rush. This creates more mistakes from the opposing QBs, putting Moore in position for more interception opportunities.

3.) Missouri was in the bottom half of the Big 12 in pass defense that season, illustrating a little William Moore's impact as a coverage safety that season. This stat doesn't tell everything, as Mizzou had a great offense and a good rush D, making teams throw a lot more than usual.

Just a few signs that might help explain why William Moore was successful at getting interceptions in 2007. I think he's a very athletic kid, with good to very good ball skills, but after seeing him in 2008 and at the Senior Bowl, and after reading a few scouting reports, I still see a lot to question in terms of his instincts in zone coverage and his fluidity in man. I really think at the next level he will be very strong in the box, and he might pick a few balls off, but I don't think he'll be an elite safety that is truly interchangeable in coverage like a lot of people think.

I dont mean to bust your bubble, but did you actually see the games, because if you didnt see the games then you cant be so sure about those Int. These stats are only tell a little bit, but unless you saw the game, game tape, you can never be sure.

Did you examine each of the other available safeties with the same critical eye? It is hard to blame Moore for all of Missouri's pass coverage problems when he is not the only player playing def. I am sure if you look at every player who plays into a system you can find issues with there game of reasons for their success. Look at Matt Ryan the biggest issue he had was ints coming out of college but that wasn't really a big issue in the big league. We don't need him to be the greatest of all time just good. Let's not be so overly critical of every move these players made in college, no matter how he got 8 ints that is impressive for a safety. Beside the Tigers were ranked 34th in sacks and 45th in tfl for 2007 so where is the outstanding defense you are speaking of?

i am just saying, you can't just look at the 8 picks and assume that he's good in coverage. I have said this a lot here recently. If you look at the total package that William Moore brings, there are certainly a lot of issues with his coverage, issues that aren't necessarily explained by simply saying that he had 8 picks in 2007. These stats might not mean a thing, as the case with most stats in college.

if anyone has full game tapes of William Moore, I'd be happy to take a look. I saw a few games with Mizzou last year and two years ago, but I admit I never really zeroed in on what Moore was doing out there...

i am just saying, you can't just look at the 8 picks and assume that he's good in coverage. I have said this a lot here recently. If you look at the total package that William Moore brings, there are certainly a lot of issues with his coverage, issues that aren't necessarily explained by simply saying that he had 8 picks in 2007. These stats might not mean a thing, as the case with most stats in college.

if anyone has full game tapes of William Moore, I'd be happy to take a look. I saw a few games with Mizzou last year and two years ago, but I admit I never really zeroed in on what Moore was doing out there...

Gdawg i like Delmas as a prospect, but not at 24. Anyway my preference for William Moore is due to the fact that he has alot of potential, I still think that he would be an upgrade over Milloy at the SS. I think that over the long run he will be a better prospect than Delmas.

If you don't look at ints and pbu what do you look at? If someone said at the beginning of the year that we come possible get Moore with 55th pick you would told them to stop smoking. All I am saying tell me safety in this draft that does not have any faults. (I have always had either Moore or Chung as the overall best two safeties in this draft). And to be able to get either in the second round would be great. Not taking anything from the other safeties. I personally like what the bring to the table.

If you take a look at the videos posted on youtube you will see Delmas looking like a playmaker, all over the field, hitting like Bob Sanders. You will see Moore not looking like a first day prospect. Take a look. Regardless of what Moore did the previous year, he didn't do it last year and I can't see spending a second on him unless he just completely blew us away in a private workout/intv.

There is not alot of difference, but dont tell that to Gdawg, he will go bananas on you :P :lol: J/K, but for real i dont see a big difference, especially since Decoud already has a year in the system.

Agree ... the only difference is that one of them is lucky enough to be eligible in a down year for safeties (there's no legit 1st or even early/mid 2nd round talent this season) and the other one was drafted when a little more talent was available. (not saying that last draft was a good safety draft, but still much better than this years)

To me the prospect that could be the best safety out of the pack this draft, is actually a CB/S ... and he's the only one worth a early/mid 2nd rounder and that's Sean Smith.

What makes Delmas any different than Decloud?

Delmas has had a lot more game experience at the safety experience and from what I've read, is more of a leader on the field. To be honest, the physical elements like speed, size and strength are basically the same. I think Decoud will be a perfect fit in our secondary someday soon. I just am not convinced he's ready yet. I think Decoud should have increased playing time this year, with next year a target for him to be starting every game. I think we need to grab the only elite safety in this year's draft (my opinion that gets flamed a lot) in Louis Delmas, start him opposite Eric Coleman, play Decoud a lot more this year as a sub for both of these guys, and then work Decoud into the starting lineup after this year of increased playing time. Coleman can then play of more of reserved role until his contract runs out. That is my vision on this position unit...

If you take a look at the videos posted on youtube you will see Delmas looking like a playmaker, all over the field, hitting like Bob Sanders. You will see Moore not looking like a first day prospect. Take a look. Regardless of what Moore did the previous year, he didn't do it last year and I can't see spending a second on him unless he just completely blew us away in a private workout/intv.

You also have to take into account he was playing at a weight he was not comfortable at, asked to do something different than he did in 07, and had some nagging injuries. So you have to take that into account too.

I've seen both player's highlight reels, and honestly I agree that Delmas looks more impressive to me. Not being biased or anything. I just like how Delmas throws his body around with reckless abandon. Moore looks like a beast out there, but it doesn't as impressive to me. I don't base anything off highlight reels, but i do agree with your assessment...

Delmas has had a lot more game experience at the safety experience and from what I've read, more of a leader on the field. To be honest, the physical elements like speed, size and strength are basically the same. I think Decoud will be a perfect fit in our secondary someday soon. I just am not convinced he's ready yet. I think Decoud should have increased playing time this year, with next year a target for him to be starting every game. I think we need to grab the only elite in this year's draft (my opinion that gets flamed a lot) in Louis Delmas, start him opposite Eric Coleman, play Decoud a lot more this year as a sub for both of these guys, and then work Decoud into the starting lineup after this year of increased playing time. Coleman can then play of more of reserved role until his contract runs out. That is my vision on this position unit...

My Vision

Moore at SS, Coleman at FS, with Decoud waiting to take over for Coleman if the FO feels like Moore can handle the starting role

otherwise

Coleman at SS, Decoud at FS, with Moore waiting to take over for Coleman,

If we do this with Delmas fine, but i think his role will be limited to FS.

I would take Moore over Delmas. Moore has better production, is just as fast (4.53 40) and fits the 6'1 220 mold that TD is looking for in a strong safety.

better production? :lol: Go look at their career numbers and tell me who is more consistent. And don't blame injuries on this one because Delmas dealt with his fair share.

And who says TD is looking for that prototypical 220 lb SS?

You also have to take into account he was playing at a weight he was not comfortable at, asked to do something different than he did in 07, and had some nagging injuries. So you have to take that into account too.

yeah yeah, I've heard it all before. Other players have dealt with injuries and position changes. William Moore isn't the first...

plus I was referring to his 2007 highlight reels ;)

frankly I don't care that much about stats from year to year. I'm really going by scouting reports that take his whole carer into account...

My Vision

Moore at SS, Coleman at FS, with Decoud waiting to take over for Coleman if the FO feels like Moore can handle the starting role

otherwise

Coleman at SS, Decoud at FS, with Moore waiting to take over for Coleman,

If we do this with Delmas fine, but i think his role will be limited to FS.

and like I have said, I think Moore's coverage instincts make him a little bit of a project player on a team that needs a starter IMO

why do you think Delmas would be limited to FS? Have you ever seen him play? You do know that not every SS is 220 lbs right?

better production? :lol: Go look at their career numbers and tell me who is more consistent. And don't blame injuries on this one because Delmas dealt with his fair share.

And who says TD is looking for that prototypical 220 lb SS?

254 total tackles, 10 interceptions, 17 tackles for loss, 3 sacks, 17 passes broken up

226 total tackles, 9 interceptions, 7.5 tackles for loss, 1 sack, 10 passes broken up

Guess which one is William Moore's stat line. I'll give you a hint, it's the first one. :lol:

You should check out NFL.com or AtlantaFalcons.com and hear TD state that he would love a big safety in the mold of 6'1 220 lbs.

Moore's Stats

Delmas' Stats

and like I have said, I think Moore's coverage instincts make him a little bit of a project player on a team that needs a starter IMO

why do you think Delmas would be limited to FS? Have you ever seen him play? You do know that not every SS is 220 lbs right?

Yeah i see him play. If it walks like Duck then it is a Duck. Delmas is going to be a FS, just like I think that DEcoud best fits at FS. I do know that every SS is not 220, but if you are comparing Sanders to Delmas, look at how often sanders is injuried.

254 total tackles, 10 interceptions, 17 tackles for loss, 3 sacks, 17 passes broken up

226 total tackles, 9 interceptions, 7.5 tackles for loss, 1 sack, 10 passes broken up

Guess which one is William Moore's stat line. I'll give you a hint, it's the first one. :lol:

You should check out NFL.com or AtlantaFalcons.com and hear TD state that he would love a big safety in the mold of 6'1 220 lbs.

Moore's Stats

Delmas' Stats

delmas' actual career stats:

ESPN

Draft countdown

another link

You left out 3 picks, 8 PBU, and a boatload of tackles there

i'll be happy to listen to TD with a link... I've heard him say he wants two interchangeable safeties that can cover and defend the run. Look at his two safeties in New England. Sanders and Meriweather are both rangy and on the small side...

"We just used to look for that tough hombre, that strong safety," Dimitroff said. "The guy that is going to step up there and fill the hole, real strong. A 220-pound-plus guy. Now, ideally we’d like to get to a situation where you have interchangeable safeties. Maybe one guy is the strong safety, but you can flip it. There is a lot of variety in your coverages. I think it’s something that usually will keep the offenses guessing. I’m a lot more apt to evaluate a player with the ability to cover as well as have the ability to come up and stick his nose in there and be an aggressive run stopper guy.

Link

I couldn't find the live interview but found this with the help of atljbo.

Sounds like William Moore to me.

interesting, but I still think that Moore doesn't fit the bill in terms of what TD was talking about in regards to coverage and being able to flip the guy to either safety spot...

I think that he does, especially if he can manage to shed 5 more lbs which would alllow him to be quicker.