Jets Beat Reporter Thinks Jets Will Target Pettigrew

Steve C

From Dave Hutchinson at the Newark Star-Ledger:

"I still think the Jets will try to trade down to get Oklahoma Sttate tight end Brandon Pettigrew and acquire an addition pick. Coach Rex Ryan wants to run the ball.

Then, the Jets can formula a plan to get their wide receiver in the second round, perhaps using the extra pick they get from trading down to move up in the second round.

In that scenario, the Jets can fill their two biggest needs -- wide receiver and tight end -- in the first two rounds."

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/04/t...gh_for_the.html

I'd be very surprised to see the Jets draft TEs in the 1st round in consecutive years. And if they wanted to trade down for Pettigrew, they certainly couldn't drop very far with Detroit at 20, Philly at 21 and us at 24. More likely scenario in my opinion is the Jets taking Heyward-Bey or Josh Freeman in the 1st and Richard Quinn in the 3rd-4th round area.

Dustin Keller is a great receiving TE, but a poor blocker and the Jets lost their blocking TE, Chris Baker, in free agency. They'll almost definitely draft a blocking TE - I just don't think that it will be Pettigrew.

You're right and no the Jets won't draft Pettigrew.

I don't see that happening the year after they got Dustin Keller. They lack a blocking TE and I think that they can get that later in the draft(Richad Quinn)

Besides that I would love for us to draft BP

We are in the opposite situation as the Jets. We have some good blockers, but are in need of a TE that can be a threat in the passing game, which BP will never be due to his below average speed (4.85). Besides, the defense is in need of some major rebuilding and the offense is already pretty good.

We are in the opposite situation as the Jets. We have some good blockers, but are in need of a TE that can be a threat in the passing game, which BP will never be due to his below average speed (4.85). Besides, the defense is in need of some major rebuilding and the offense is already pretty good.

Give me Shawn Nelson, Cameron Morrah, Davon Drew and call it a day.

From a dual-fan, the Jets won't draft Pettigrew. They are very high on Richard Quinn from UNC I wouldn't be surprised to see them pull the trigger on him in the 3rd.

The Jets biggest needs are WR and RB especially with Jones holding out. Don't be surprised if they do defense with their 1st either. There are rumors that the Jets have a deal in place where if one of the top QBs (Sanchez) falls to #8 that they will trade up to get him.

I think that BP easily could be a nice receiver to. He may lack speed to be a down field threat but he has the size to create matchup problems and hands to make a difficult catch. He could be a nice safety valve for Ryan. And with him in the opposing team will never be able to know based on the TE if we are running or passing the ball. I think that we are more set on defense that we think and that is why I think that we can afford to get Pettigrew

You're right and no the Jets won't draft Pettigrew.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

What is up with that Mama, you want the Falcons draft BP, but you dont want the Jets to draft BP. YOu have to keep it even, no favorites. :lol:

lol the Jets need a blocking TE but they don't need to take Pettigrew..

From a dual-fan, the Jets won't draft Pettigrew. They are very high on Richard Quinn from UNC I wouldn't be surprised to see them pull the trigger on him in the 3rd.

The Jets biggest needs are WR and RB especially with Jones holding out. Don't be surprised if they do defense with their 1st either. There are rumors that the Jets have a deal in place where if one of the top QBs (Sanchez) falls to #8 that they will trade up to get him.

yep yep yep

Keller isn't a bad blocker either. He was a rookie.

Keller's nothing more than a glorified WR playing TE and he's not a good blocker at all IMO.. It can and will be taught so he'll get better with time I guess.

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

I know all about the Jets draft day blunders but I'd be extremely shocked if they took Pettigrew with needs at DE, WR, RB and QB. But with the Jets you never really know.