6'4 260lbs TE Alex Smith

atljbo

Link

We are also hearing that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are looking to trade tight end Alex Smith before Saturday.

6'4 260lbs TE Alex Smith

Alex Smith is a very good run blocking TE and has the ability to stretch the field......

Alex Smith draft profile

POSITIVES: Athletic, pass-catching tight end who creates mismatches in the defensive backfield. Fluid releasing off the line, adjusts to the errant throw and looks the pass into his hands. Consistently finds the open spot in the defense and extends to pull the fast ball from the air. Shields opponents away with his frame and displays the ability to make the difficult catch in traffic or take a pounding and hold onto the ball. Excellent focus and concentration. Moves laterally with speed and very reliable. Bends his knees, blocks with leverage and works until the whistle blows.

NEGATIVES: Not quick or explosive off the snap into blocks. Marginal playing strength at the point of attack and gets pushed back off the line. Only average footwork in pass protection.

ANALYSIS: A consistent pass-catching threat who continually improved his game, Smith broke out as a senior and significantly enhanced his draft stock. Known as a hard-working player and high character prospect, he will receive solid consideration during the early part of round two and should immediately contribute as a rookie.

Would you trade our 6th round pick for Alex Smith ?

Like said up above, teams hardly ever trade in the division. I actually like Smith and think he doesn't put up numbers in part because they really never had a good QB. I think he could be good here but I highly doubt it happens. I would rate him as I would one of these middle round TE's in this years draft so I would have no problem with a 6th. I bet Tampa wants a lot more than that though. I bet they want at least a 4th or 5th.

Teams within the same division almost never trade players to one another. I wouldn't count on it. And given his lack of production, I think he'd fetch no more than a 7th in return.

I remember when we traded our 7th round pick for Wayne Gandy (Saints)

I would trade a 6h for him, He is a great tight end that deserves a true shot at being the guy. I thought he was a stud when he came out. I remember he owned us a couple of times

I agree.... I really liked Alex Smith coming out of college too...... This past season Alex Smith could have had some big plays against Lawyer Milloy but Brian Griese either over threw him or just didnt see it .... Alex Smith had multiple chances.

I remember when we traded our 7th round pick for Wayne Gandy (Saints)

Good point, but the Saints were going to cut Gandy, so I guess they had to take whatever they could get. Even if that "whatever" was Bryan Scott...

I suppose if we offered way more for Smith than any other team (and/or if they're considering releasing him), Tampa would have to think about trading him to us, but I can't imagine they'd be too eager to help us fill our hole at TE in any way.

Guest jb aka johnnybuc
there ya go! bucman says hes nice! BRING EM HOME TD!

but in all seriousness i like him. hes big, fast and has good hands. exactly what we need.

He's a very good TE. You have to remember who his head coach was. If he'd of had a coach that knew how to use him he'd have been extremely productive. Gruden was such an *******! He would get the ball to Smith for 2 TDs in the first game of the season than wouldn't bother throwing to him again for 2 or 3 games and then only a few times here and there. He only needs a team that knows how to use him. Will he be a pro bowler? I doubt he will now because Gruden basically ruined his career.

He's a very good TE. You have to remember who his head coach was. If he'd of had a coach that knew how to use him he'd have been extremely productive. Gruden was such an *******! He would get the ball to Smith for 2 TDs in the first game of the season than wouldn't bother throwing to him again for 2 or 3 games and then only a few times here and there. He only needs a team that knows how to use him. Will he be a pro bowler? I doubt he will now because Gruden basically ruined his career.

He is still young being only 26

I think he'd be worth a sixth rounder, but he's a UFA after this season so I would want him signed to a new deal prior to the trade. We wouldn't want to go through the same situation we had with Foxworth, where we'd be giving him a season in the shop window.

I thought of that too......... What type of contract tho ? .... A Ben Hartsock type contract ?

What are the chances of this really happening. This is like the third trade/FA signing Scenerio regarding a upgrade at TE. I dont know how much I can take regarding this TE situation. I am already on pins and needles regarding Michael Johnson playing for the Falcons. :unsure: :D

What are the chances of this really happening. This is like the third trade/FA signing Scenerio regarding a upgrade at TE. I dont know how much I can take regarding this TE situation. I am already on pins and needles regarding Michael Johnson playing for the Falcons. :unsure: :D

I'd rather stick pins and needles in me than draft Michael Johnson

Like said up above, teams hardly ever trade in the division. I actually like Smith and think he doesn't put up numbers in part because they really never had a good QB. I think he could be good here but I highly doubt it happens. I would rate him as I would one of these middle round TE's in this years draft so I would have no problem with a 6th. I bet Tampa wants a lot more than that though. I bet they want at least a 4th or 5th.

You have to consider also that he's probably close to the end of his rookie deal. Any TE we draft, we will have locked up for at least the next 3 years.