Smith wants us to run more 3-4 sets next season

WoTFan

In Tuesday’s one-on-one interview, Dimitroff acknowledged Smith’s desire to add some 3-4 sets to the team’s defense in 2009. That calls for hybrid defensive end/linebackers to rush the passer and drop into coverage.

“I think with Mike deciding to have some 3-4 in this system it’s imperative we’re cognisant of the versatility of football players,” Dimitroff said, noting the approximately 12 teams that run a 3-4 defense on the majority of snaps

Its from J. Mike's Missives today.

I've been wondering if we would do that. Beirman played LB in college right? Add Sintim in there and we have a good linebacking crew for 3-4 downs. Bierman-Peterson/Nicholas-Lofton-Sintim.

We shuffle our Linemen a little, probably have Lewis play nose with JA98 and somebody else playing DE.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think we will draft Sintim....... Our main Defense will be a 4-3 D........ What position will Sintim play in our 4-3 D ...... I like Sintim but i cant see him dropping back in coverage in our main 4-3 scheme.

I took it as we will draft a DE that's versatile enough to play 3-4 OLB.....A Michael Johnson, Larry English, or Aaron Maybin type guy

If Sintim is there in the second I think we could take him.

Also, Sintim played at tradition DE sometimes at Virginia. He would help us with our pass rush on 4-3 down. On 3-4 downs he would be a rush LB who has above average coverage ability (for the position).

While you would think a 3-4 hybrid would be a target, I'm thinking differently. The first two rounds, in my opinion, should go like this:

1. James Laurinaitis

2. Jarron Gilbert

This allows Laurinaitis to play the strongside in our 4-3 alignment and inside next to Lofton in our 3-4 alignment. It also allows Gilbert to play UT or DE in our 4-3 alignments and DE in our 3-4 alignments. Gilbert and Anderson would be great ends in a 3-4, with Abraham and Biermann coming off the edge.

This level of pre-pubescent excitement about draft day amuses me.

The only thing that matters is Game Day. You can draft the "greatest" college players every year, doesn't mean anything. All that matters is what they do on the field in the NFL on Sundays, and there is no way to predict who will be good or bad.

A Big Time sleeper that Atlanta went to his proday and worked out is

connecticut_julius_williams.jpg

6'2 255lbs Julius Williams

Height: 6'2

Weight: 252

40 Yrd Dash: 4.59

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 36

Vertical Jump: 41

One player who hasn’t received the recognition he’s due is Connecticut’s other defensive end, Julius Williams. Williams has been very productive over the past two years (8½ sacks in 2007 and six in 2008) and actually possesses a much more explosive first step off the edge than teammate Brown. He impressed during his pro day workout with 36 reps on the bench, a 41-inch vertical and a 4.58 40 time. The guy looks like an ideal 3-4 outside linebacker with the burst and athleticism to develop into a productive pass rusher. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Williams outperform Brown in the NFL.

Julius Williams normal playing weight is 265lbs

Projection: 5th or 6th round

Ha, I'm sorry you're jaded.

I just enjoy this time of year because it gives us a clearer picture to what we will have next year.

It doesn't give any clear picture at all. You never know what a player you draft is going to turn out like, from any round. Historically, there have been an equal amount of studs and busts from rounds 1-3 as there have been from 4-7. It's a crapshoot.

It doesnt matter to me who we draft. I dont control who we draft, so whoever we draft I'll trust the front-office decision. And besides, the one thing all these dumb mock drafts cant account for are the draft-day trades that always happen. So there is no point trying to predict anything anyway.

Ha, I'm sorry you're jaded.

I just enjoy this time of year because it gives us a clearer picture to what we will have next year.

I agree.... I'm even more excited about this draft because we are a playoff team.... If we can have another hit draft like last year's draft.. we are a legit superbowl contender for years

I only really care after the name is called. Getting overly invested in the draft before it occurs is stupid. All you are doing is setting yourself up to be disappointed. Some people are fans of the team and some people are fans of being right.

All I care about is a W or L on NFL Sunday. These kids coming out of college havent proven anything to me yet. So whoever we draft will be fine by me - they all deserve a shot. Some will fail. Some will be keepers. But no-one knows who.

I agree.... I'm even more excited about this draft because we are a playoff team.... If we can have another hit draft like last year's draft.. we are a legit superbowl contender for years

I can't be really excited until the kickoff of our first regulation game. I am interested in the off-season happenings but I can't be really excited until they are playing.