If Falcons pick Pettigrew it will be for his blocking

cord2001

If you read this article in USA Today they say Pettigrew is the only TE that has actually proved himself as a blocker. No doubt our running attack was what made Matt Ryan the QB he was this past year. Maybe we should think about how another great blocker might actually help our running game perhaps more than our passing game. The best friend of any defense is a team that runs well and keeps the defense off the field and fresher. I know some have only focused on Pettigrew the receiver and somewhat ignored him as a blocker. I guess I could understand how making us an even better running team also helps our defense in the end. This is the USA Today breakdown on TEs link

If you read this article in USA Today they say Pettigrew is the only TE that has actually proved himself as a blocker. No doubt our running attack was what made Matt Ryan the QB he was this past year. Maybe we should think about how another great blocker might actually help our running game perhaps more than our passing game. The best friend of any defense is a team that runs well and keeps the defense off the field and fresher. I know some have only focused on Pettigrew the receiver and somewhat ignored him as a blocker. I guess I could understand how making us an even better running team also helps our defense in the end. This is the USA Today breakdown on TEs link

If that is the case i would rather just stick with Hartstock, if we want him for his blocking. I think that the Falcons are looking for a TE that can pose a vertical threat, and i dont see BP doing that for us. WE already have a great blocker in Harstock and an average Blocker, receiver in Peele. We need a player that can do both. I think that we will draft the receivng TE with the most potential to be a good blocker.

Good article ... thanks for the link, would've missed that one for sure and it actually says what I'm telling here all the time ... you can't look at the receiving stats when a team runs 70+% of the time and has one of the best receivers in the NCAA. Pettigrew was the 2nd best receiver on a heavy running team and is by far the most complete TE to come out of college since ... maybe Shockey.

Good article ... thanks for the link, would've missed that one for sure and it actually says what I'm telling here all the time ... you can't look at the receiving stats when a team runs 70+% of the time and has one of the best receivers in the NCAA. Pettigrew was the 2nd best receiver on a heavy running team and is by far the most complete TE to come out of college since ... maybe Shockey.

I look at how a player's skills translate to the NFL, and looking at Pettigrew specifically, his speed is going to be a liability when it comes to being a receiver. He is still going to be a very good blocker, but I really doubt he is going to be able to stretch the field in the passing game.

Because of this, I would stick with the good blockers we already have at TE, and address one of the many defensive needs we have with that first rounder. I'd look for a TE in Round 3 that can contribute as a receiver and compliment the guys we already have.

I look at how a player's skills translate to the NFL, and looking at Pettigrew specifically, his speed is going to be a liability when it comes to being a receiver. He is still going to be a very good blocker, but I really doubt he is going to be able to stretch the field in the passing game.

Because of this, I would stick with the good blockers we already have at TE, and address one of the many defensive needs we have with that first rounder. I'd look for a TE in Round 3 that can contribute as a receiver and compliment the guys we already have.

X100

If that is the case i would rather just stick with Hartstock, if we want him for his blocking. I think that the Falcons are looking for a TE that can pose a vertical threat, and i dont see BP doing that for us. WE already have a great blocker in Harstock and an average Blocker, receiver in Peele. We need a player that can do both. I think that we will draft the receivng TE with the most potential to be a good blocker.

plus ryan gets the ball out so quickly we dont need the best blocking te, need a serviceable blocker and a good pass catcher

Alge Crumpler ran a 4.8 40 at the combine and had lesser stats than Pettigrew and was selected 35th in the draft.

I think we're looking for a young Crumpler. I don't care if we take Pettigrew, but a 4.8, if it comes with good separation skills and short area burst (which it does if we go by testing, and Pettigrew's short shuttle), is fast enough for a TE.

The keys for a TE are blocking out, catching at the high point, and two step burst separation.

I personally would like a later round TE, but think Pettigrew could likely be a better Crumpler.

Another quick thing: You really want two TE's: a blocking guy who can be a decent receiver, and a receiving guy who can be a decent blocker.

I'm fine taking a guy like Quinn in the later rounds as the blocker, but your blocker needs to be a better receiver than Hartsock.

If you're running 2TE sets, you want both to be able to catch. If you have only your blocking guy in there, you still want him to be a threat to receive (so they don't know it's a run, and have to deal with the TE in the pass game.)

Personally, I'd take the blocking guy who can catch some late, and the receiving guy who can block some early, but you need both, and currently we really have neither. We have a blocker who can't receive, and a receiver who can't block, and isn't even good at the receiving aspect.

Alge Crumpler ran a 4.8 40 at the combine and had lesser stats than Pettigrew and was selected 35th in the draft.

I think we're looking for a young Crumpler. I don't care if we take Pettigrew, but a 4.8, if it comes with good separation skills and short area burst (which it does if we go by testing, and Pettigrew's short shuttle), is fast enough for a TE.

The keys for a TE are blocking out, catching at the high point, and two step burst separation.

I personally would like a later round TE, but think Pettigrew could likely be a better Crumpler.

YOu maybe right about Crump, but as you stated i would still like to have a later round TE. I really like Shawn Nelson

plus ryan gets the ball out so quickly we dont need the best blocking te, need a serviceable blocker and a good pass catcher

Blocking skills are for RUN blocking, not for pass blocking ... in other words, it doesn't matter how fast Ryan gets rid of the ball.

Pettigrew is a very underrated receiver on the board, just because his stats and his 40 time isn't flashy ... all I can say, Witten runs a 4.7 and can stretch the field, it doesn't matter how fast you are, it's more how smart you are (finding the weak spots in the zone) and how crisp you run your routes.

That said, I doubt that we draft Pettigrew ... I guess he'll be gone when we pick, because many teams will shy away from the bunch of boom or bust prospects in the mid/late first and somebody will make the save pick.

I have got so much time for you after saying that sir...

Man it kills me that people are so crazy about numbers, he is a flat out beast, and we all know everyone misses crump.

Technique and burst are way more important for a TE than 40. Plus his run blocking is a massive bonus to our Offense