New-look Dawgs hope to escape shadow of Moreno/Stafford era.

SacFalcFan

"This spring, it wasn't hard to understand why. Watching Joe Cox step in for Stafford at quarterback, it was unfair but all too easy to knock Cox for not possessing the same arm strength that allowed Stafford to throw for more than 7,700 yards and 51 touchdowns. Watch Cox hand off the ball, it was unfair but all too easy to pick apart the committee of running backs vying to fill Moreno's spot for not possessing the same "Did you see that?" moves that made Moreno a two-time all-SEC first-teamer."

There are a few things that I am ABSOLUTELY tired of. How many times do we have to hear somebody say something about Joe Cox not having M.Stafford's arm strength? Goodness, how many do? MS has rare arm strength, Drew Brees doesn't have MS arm strength, P. Manning probably doesn't have MS' arm strength... Matt Ryan doesn't have that type of arm strength. There are plenty of VERY VERY good QB's starting in the NFL that don't have MS' arm strength. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love both Stafford and Moreno, I just think the whole "how are they going to replace Stafford and Moreno" thing is overblown. Of course both of them were great players, but this happens in college football every single year to schools all across the country. IMO, the Dawgs can have more production from the running game in '09 without any one running back being as good as Moreno. Cox does not have to be as good as Stafford for the Dawgs to have a good productive offense.

"This spring, it wasn't hard to understand why. Watching Joe Cox step in for Stafford at quarterback, it was unfair but all too easy to knock Cox for not possessing the same arm strength that allowed Stafford to throw for more than 7,700 yards and 51 touchdowns. Watch Cox hand off the ball, it was unfair but all too easy to pick apart the committee of running backs vying to fill Moreno's spot for not possessing the same "Did you see that?" moves that made Moreno a two-time all-SEC first-teamer."

There are a few things that I am ABSOLUTELY tired of. How many times do we have to hear somebody say something about Joe Cox not having M.Stafford's arm strength? Goodness, how many do? MS has rare arm strength, Drew Brees doesn't have MS arm strength, P. Manning probably doesn't have MS' arm strength... Matt Ryan doesn't have that type of arm strength. There are plenty of VERY VERY good QB's starting in the NFL that don't have MS' arm strength. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love both Stafford and Moreno, I just think the whole "how are they going to replace Stafford and Moreno" thing is overblown. Of course both of them were great players, but this happens in college football every single year to schools all across the country. IMO, the Dawgs can have more production from the running game in '09 without any one running back being as good as Moreno. Cox does not have to be as good as Stafford for the Dawgs to have a good productive offense.

Very well said. I keep hearing the same crap and yes it's crap.. If every qb who was to be successful had to have stafford's arm then we wouldn't have many successful qbs in college or in the nfl since he has one of the strongest arms in many years. Joe Cox is not an nfl qb, but IMO he is going to be a heck of a college qb if he can stay healthy and our oline is as good as it should be. If this team stays healthy this year (somewhat healthy) our offense will be in great shape and Joe Cox will be our leader. I feel a lot better with our depth at QB with logan gray's great spring and how he has picked up the offense. He has shown great accuracy and a very good handle and they will run a number of sets with him in the game so we will see him come in and contribute also.

I've said before that Cox should have gotten the nod over Stafford, but that's water under the bridge now. I think he's a better overall QB, even with his perceived lack of arm strength.

As for leaving the shadow of MS and KM, I could see if those guys actually got us an SEC championship or an NC, but they didn't. Teamwork will get us that, not just the outstanding play of just two guys. Having them on the team was great in the little time they were here, but like Richt implied, the team used them as a crutch and it inspired lackadiasical performance.