12 things I think will happen in the 2009 draft, Dratnut57

OK , my best prediction last year was that Chris Johnson would be picked in the first round by a team that would fall in love with him Like I did, And I got that one right . I also said the same would happen with Flacco way before it was a possiblily like a week before the draft. You have to remember that neither one was suppose to go in the first round , Chris was ranked at 45 and Flacco was like 40. Anyway I have to throw a few out there this year, here goes.

1.There will be more OL and TEs taken in the top 2 and 3 rounds than any draft ever.

2.Brian Robiskie will be drafted in the late first round. He is the safest WR pick in the draft IMO.

3.WE will draft Larry English with our first pick and if he is gone we go Clay Matthews and then Ziggy if Clay is taken.

4.Knowshon Mareno will be picked in the top 15 and he will win OROY.

5.Robert Ayers will be gone when we pick, but he will be in a fight with English all year to win DROY. It will be one of these 2.

6.We'll pick up Ryan Purvis after the draft who played with Mattie Ice at BC.

7.John Phillips will be the steal of the draft at the TE position. He'll go aound the 5th or 6th, and even if a 4th , he still is the steal.

8.Andy Kemp will be the best deal in the draft at the Guard position.

9.Worrell Williams ILB and Rashad Jennings RB will be the steal at RB And Chris Clemons at FS. Matt Saughessy DE. all Steals ATP.

10.DeAndre Levy will be the steal at OLB , Joe Burnet CB , Jamarca Sanford SS, these will be the best deals at their positions.

11.I think we trade down at least 2 times in this draft and maybe even three times. I think it will be a record number of trade downs for any AF Draft. And I think this is why we have not done much in the FAcy.

12.Matthew Stafford will be by far the best QB in this draft and will help Detroit become a legit team again in about 2 more years.

2.Brian Robiskie will be drafted in the late first round. He is the safest WR pick in the draft IMO.

-Would not be shocked at all. If he slips out of the 1st he will be the 1st WR taken in the 2nd.

3.WE will draft Larry English with our first pick and if he is gone we go Clay Matthews and then Ziggy if Clay is taken.

-Disagree. I think Hood is high on out list along with Laurinaitis. Besides Curry, I think Laurinaitis is the safest LB in the draft. Rey M. and Cushing have injury concerns and Matthews is kind of a late bloomer. Won't be unhappy with English though or Matthews for that matter.

-Yep. Don't be surprised if the Bengals take Moreno at 6. I won't be, they have scrubs at RB and have not been good since Rudi was in his prime.

5.Robert Ayers will be gone when we pick, but he will be in a fight with English all year to win DROY. It will be one of these 2.

-I disagree about ROY, but I believe he has a better then 50% chance of being taken before we pick.

.We'll pick up Ryan Purvis after the draft who played with Mattie Ice at BC.

-I gotta think this is a possibility.

12.Matthew Stafford will be by far the best QB in this draft and will help Detroit become a legit team again in about 2 more years.

-I agree. I think about him a little differently then most people. Most will say it's too risky to take a QB at #1 on a bad team for the chance that he fails. I believe there is too much risk in not taking him. If turns out to be the next Aikman the Lions will be kicking themselves for the next 12 years, I don't care how good Jason Smith turns out to be. (BTW, I am not saying he will be the next Aikman, I do believe he is going to be a top level QB in the NFL.)

Do you mind posting your one from last year? I've always been on here, but post a little less this year. I'd be interested in seeing which ones were great calls, which we can't tell, and which weren't solid.

It'd be fun if all the draft and free agency guys did this and we looked at it the next year. I thought Chris Johnson shouldn't go until the 2nd, if then, and thought Flacco was in a three way tie for the number 2 QB and could go between 15 and 60...but would have guessed early 2nd.

Very interesting post. I Don't agree with #2 (though gonzalez has done pretty well in the league). JWS i think the bengals are set with picking andre smith at #6 for some reason. definitely agree with moreno if he goes to a place like philly with their solid OL he reminds me so much of walter payton i cant wait to see what he can do in the league

Do you mind posting your one from last year? I've always been on here, but post a little less this year. I'd be interested in seeing which ones were great calls, which we can't tell, and which weren't solid.

It'd be fun if all the draft and free agency guys did this and we looked at it the next year. I thought Chris Johnson shouldn't go until the 2nd, if then, and thought Flacco was in a three way tie for the number 2 QB and could go between 15 and 60...but would have guessed early 2nd.

I'd love to find it , If I knew how I would , This years post won't be as good as the last few I don't think. I said Colston would be the steal of the draft he was in, and I also said Brandon Marshall would be the two steals of that draft , they are the only 2 WRs i had on my board for us to take BC I don't like taking WRs high. And I picked the two steals of the whole draft with those 2 , Marshall is great if he can keep his nose clean.

Forgot Massaquoi. He can be a Roddy White and/or Bryant Johnson same goes for Robiskie.

Flat out wrong... If we draft DE we cause a bad rift with both Chauncey and JA98. And Laurinaitis is a good fit for a 4-3. Nothing bad from Matthews or English but WLB is a need not a DE.

The jury's still out though. I wouldn't be suprised he go to Cleveland. And its spelled Moreno.

Jury's still out..on Ayers and /English.

Not a bad consolation prize if Coffman or Beckum is off the board.

11.I think we trade down at least 2 times in this draft and maybe even three times. I think it will be a record number of trade downs for any AF Draft. And I think this is why we have not done much in the FAcy.

Value can go but so far. But with quality coaching and focus anyone can be the next star. But if you pass up on a sure-fire thing and the one you pass up goes HOF, you can end up paying for it not only from your FO, but your fans too! Free Agency is a good asset but not really necessary to win SB's its the team mindset.

No doubt. Stafford is a good player. Too bad UGA will not be in the National Championship picture.

Forgot Massaquoi. He can be a Roddy White and/or Bryant Johnson same goes for Robiskie.

Flat out wrong... If we draft DE we cause a bad rift with both Chauncey and JA98. And Laurinaitis is a good fit for a 4-3. Nothing bad from Matthews or English but WLB is a need not a DE.

The jury's still out though. I wouldn't be suprised he go to Cleveland. And its spelled Moreno.

Jury's still out..on Ayers and /English.

Not a bad consolation prize if Coffman or Beckum is off the board.

Value can go but so far. But with quality coaching and focus anyone can be the next star. But if you pass up on a sure-fire thing and the one you pass up goes HOF, you can end up paying for it not only from your FO, but your fans too! Free Agency is a good asset but not really necessary to win SB's its the team mindset.

No doubt. Stafford is a good player. Too bad UGA will not be in the National Championship picture.

English will be a OLB that can rush the QB at times.

lol @ Ayres winning DROY. Traditionally, 4-3 DE's havnt had the smoothest transition to OLB in the pros. English wont win it either. I think a LB will win it with a 100+ tackle season, a couple of picks and a couple of sacks, unless a DE has a 10+ sack rookie season...

I think we will trade down once, and then trade up on day 2...

I think Ziggy has a better chance of being drafted by us than English, and a much better chance than a guy who started 10 games in college. Last years 1st round picks - Matt Ryan, 4 year starter/Sam Baker, 4 year starter. I think this draft will be the same... Ziggy or Laurinaitis are my bets...

OK , my best prediction last year was that Chris Johnson would be picked in the first round by a team that would fall in love with him Like I did, And I got that one right . I also said the same would happen with Flacco way before it was a possiblily like a week before the draft. You have to remember that neither one was suppose to go in the first round , Chris was ranked at 45 and Flacco was like 40. Anyway I have to throw a few out there this year, here goes.

1.There will be more OL and TEs taken in the top 2 and 3 rounds than any draft ever.

7.John Phillips will be the steal of the draft at the TE position. He'll go aound the 5th or 6th, and even if a 4th , he still is the steal.

9.Worrell Williams ILB and Rashad Jennings RB will be the steal at RB And Chris Clemons at FS. Matt Saughessy DE. all Steals ATP.

10.DeAndre Levy will be the steal at OLB , Joe Burnet CB , Jamarca Sanford SS, these will be the best deals at their positions.

everything you just posted, i agree with.

Pretty sound assumptions, as far as assumptions go. This year it's pretty much a crap shoot from a falcons fan perspective as to what TD and company will do, they aren't tipping their hand publicly in any direction other than the statement of building up the defense.

1. agree with OL, but i think the TEs spread more over into the 4th and 5th aswell, but fair shout its a great class.

2. BR is my fave receiver in the whole draft.

3. honeslty, i dont think so, but thats just my opinion, i see it going OLB (not speed rusher), so depending on who is available, Cush, Clay, JL (JL would be a great pick imo, it may be a surprise to some, but i think we take him.)

4. I could see OROY on the right team, has the best chance, maybe an OT, but the QBs wont stand a chance. Sleeper is Donald Brown OROY

5. DROY... it will never be a DE, the jump up is a big one, i see it going to a LB, i honestly think JL will put up Mayo type numbers, one of the USC boys will shine in a system.

6. Could see that, just makes sense, can also see us taking a TE in the 3rd

7. Phillips, im not a fan, but i see the point.

8. Kemp is a beast, agree 10000%

9. Jennings, why isnt he higher on boards?! Clemons is not so quiet on sleeprs now, i think he goes in the fourth, and someone will be happy, same with Rashad Johnson.

10. Instead of JC, i like Cook at SS, he is a brawler, and trained with Deion over the summer, i like him to be the next Bob Sanders, big words, but i love the tape on him.

11. I will be dissapointed if we dont get trade active, just because of how good this draft depth is at OLB, TE, OLine, and development DT and S. It is perfect for us, oh and cover 2 corners, we have to trade trade trade!

12. Agreed, hate Sanchez, and Freeman will be molded and molded and molded, and just wont make the throws

great post draftnut

WEll , seems like a lot of you are saying that a DE won't win DROY. And you think a LB will win it, And I agree , but you see I think English will be a OLB in the pros. and for us also if we draft him, At least most of the time, I'm sure he will play some DE as well but I see him as more of a LBer with great pass rush ability .

But I do think that Ayers will be a full time DE who will have a shot at taking the DROY.

1. i agree

2. i agree, i have him mocked to the titans right now. i think they could really use the reliability he will bring.

3. i agree, i would love to get english at 24.

4. i agree with this, but i think he might slide to 21, but no farther. i have him going to the saints at 14 right now.

5. i agree ayers will be gone, i have him at 11 right now, but he could go to the redskins and the texans before he makes it to us. i dont think english and ayers will be fighting for DROY because i dont think ayers will get a lot of sacks or TFLs as a rookie, however he will be solid versus the run. english i think will be going for sacks, but i doubt he gets much more than 5 or 6, and even that would be great imo.

6. id love to get purvis, but i think he is worth a 7th rounder so he might not last.

7. you might be right, he certainly has the work ethic and the will to improve. hes got good size too, he just needs to add some weight.

8. i think louis vasquez might be a good value in the 5th round or so at OG also.

9. interesting. i love curtis taylor as a potential steal at S, Chris Ogbonnaya at RB, Maurice Crum Jr at ILB and Will Davis at DE.

10. i love nic harris as a WLB, Christopher Owens at CB and Otis Wiley and C.J. Spillman at S.

11. I don't think we will trade down more than once in the draft.

12. i might agree, but i think that says more about the rest of the class than about stafford.

lol @ Ayres winning DROY. Traditionally, 4-3 DE's havnt had the smoothest transition to OLB in the pros. English wont win it either. I think a LB will win it with a 100+ tackle season, a couple of picks and a couple of sacks, unless a DE has a 10+ sack rookie season...

I think we will trade down once, and then trade up on day 2...

I think Ziggy has a better chance of being drafted by us than English, and a much better chance than a guy who started 10 games in college. Last years 1st round picks - Matt Ryan, 4 year starter/Sam Baker, 4 year starter. I think this draft will be the same... Ziggy or Laurinaitis are my bets...

you do realize that english was a 4 year starter dont you? lol

-Mr. Offseason

1. Good call.

2. Agree 100%. I heard McShay say, on All-Star Challenge, that J.I.(Oklahoma) would be the 1st senior WR taken. :huh:

3. Don't like English, but you may be right. Really like Matthews & Ziggy. I would rate them ahead of L.E.

4. Yep.

5. Ayers yes, English....I just don't think he is as good off the edge as most. But I've been wrong alot, just ask my wife.

6. Hope so. Not wasting #24 on B.P.

7. Don't know a thing about him. I'll take your word for it.

8. :huh: Who? :P

9. I really like Clemons.

10. Levy and Sanford, maybe....but Burnett not so much.

11. Are you talkin' big moves or small ones?

12. Amen brother. And I thought he really under-achieved at UGA.....but it was not all on him.

WEll , seems like a lot of you are saying that a DE won't win DROY. And you think a LB will win it, And I agree , but you see I think English will be a OLB in the pros. and for us also if we draft him, At least most of the time, I'm sure he will play some DE as well but I see him as more of a LBer with great pass rush ability .

But I do think that Ayers will be a full time DE who will have a shot at taking the DROY.

Did L.E. play OLB? I thought he was at DE all 4 years. :huh:

#1 Clay Matthews LB

# Peria Jerry DT 6-2, 290 Mississippi

# Darius Butler CB 5-10, 182 UConn

# Ziggy Hood DT 6-3, 300 Missouri

# Connor Barwin DE 6-4, 255 Cincinnati

# Larry English DE 6-2, 255 Northern Illinois

# Ron Brace DT 6-3, 330 Boston College

# Chip Vaughn SS 6-1, 220 Wake Forest

# Andy Levitre OG 6-3, 305 Oregon State

# Keenan Lewis CB 6-1, 210 Oregon State

# T.J. Lang OT 6-4, 312 Eastern Michigan