Sheldon Brown Trade

RYNE

I doubt the Eagles would want to trade him - they're not going to start 5'7" Joselio Henson on the edge.

From our standpoint, there's some risk involved in giving a 30-year old corner big money.

I'd be willing to give up our 3rd so long as Brown's contract demands aren't astronomical. I think he's much better than Foxworth was and we could really use a #1 corner. I don't think it's realistic to think that we'll find a #1 corner (at least for 2009) in the late 3rd round. Hopefully his level of play wouldn't drop off too dramatically now that he's 30.

But I don't think the Eagles would accept that offer.

what?? what u said makes no sense. Obviously iowa isnt the hot bed of football. what does that mean. you said u r in philly and didnt hear it when the player thats being talked about is in the same city. SOOOOOOOOO if i hear it in iowa... HOW IN THE WORLD do u not in philly

i am in philly and i have heard none of that.

ESPN reports that Eagles CB Sheldon Brown has requested a trade.

The report wasn't attributed to a specific writer, but we suspect it comes from Michael Smith. Brown expressed displeasure with his contract around this time last year too. The 30-year-old right corner is due just $2M in 2009 salary, but has little leverage because he has a contract through 2012.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...=NFL&id=757

I found the Eagles public statement about this on PFW. It's awesome:

“It’s very unfortunate and counterproductive that Sheldon has chosen to go public with his feelings about his situation. After thorough evaluation by himself and discussions with his family and agents, he chose to accept an extension of his rookie contract early that provided his family financial security for the rest of his life. It removed any concerns about health or performance that all other players in his draft class had to worry about. He has three years remaining on that contract and, after taking the signing bonus and his first two years of salary into account, we feel that Sheldon is being paid fairly. Focusing only on a player’s salary for a given year is not a valid analysis.

“There have been league MVPs, Super Bowl champion quarterbacks, and perennial Pro Bowlers who have been in a similar situation. All of their teams have required them to wait until their contract expired or there was only one year remaining before any adjustment took place. It is only in the most extraordinary, in fact, less than a handful of circumstances in the last ten years that any players two new years into a contract with three years left have been adjusted. We don’t think this qualifies as an extraordinary circumstance.

“Sheldon’s comments under the circumstances actually serve to devalue him in a trade if we were willing to consider it, which we are not.”

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/N...dholm042009.htm

What's the deal with Eagles corners? Is Asante Samuel going to demand a trade next offseason too? Brown isn't going to get what he wants, he has 4 years remaining on his contract. You don't as for more money with that much left on your contract. Yes he's about to be on the wrong side of 30 and won't ever get as much money as he could now, but he should have thought about that when he negotiated this contract.