Brandon Pettigrew - Don't Believe the Hype

Peyton

A lot of people are talking about how Brandon Pettigrew as this great threat in the passing game, and I am just wondering how anyone came to this conclusion. Look at his career.

In 43 games, how many times did Brandon Pettigrew achieve 100 yards receiving? Zero.

Ok then, well, how about 90 yards receiving? Zero.

Well he must have gotten 80 yards a whole bunch of games right? 3 times.

If that's the case, he must be a TD machine. How many in 08? Zero.

What about for his career? - he scored 9, about 1 for every 5 games he played.

Did he ever have 2 TDs in a game? 3 years ago against a terrible Baylor team.

Well he must have played in a poor offense then right? Yeah well they only managed 63 offensive TDs in 08.

For his career -

2.7 catches per game

31.5 yards receiving per game

.21 TDs per game

If the guy was NEVER a profound receiving threat in college, how can so many people be so sure that he will be in the pros? This is the stuff that big time draft bust are made of.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time will tell boys, time will tell...

I agree with that. If I was going to spend a 1st round pick on a TE, I'd rather draft a guy who had already shown me he could be a consistent playmaker in the passing game. Pettigrew hasn't done that.

wow i just got a flash back to one year ago when very similar arguments were made about matt ryan. Last year it was "Look at all the interceptions he threw, that means he doesn't make smart decisions and has a weak arm".

That is a very weak comparison in my opinion. There were very clear examples of Matt Ryan playing dominant football in college. In fact we got to see one live in Atlanta when he ripped Georgia Tech's vaunted defense to shreds. No such examples exist for Pettigrew.

That is a very weak comparison in my opinion. There were very clear examples of Matt Ryan playing dominant football in college. In fact we got to see one live in Atlanta when he ripped Georgia Tech's vaunted defense to shreds. No such examples exist for Pettigrew.

I dont remember Matt Ryan assaulting police officers either...

no i wasn't comparing matt ryan to brandon pettigrew, i was comparing the arguement against matt ryan to the arguement against brandon pettigrew. it's very similar.

no i wasn't comparing matt ryan to brandon pettigrew, i was comparing the arguement against matt ryan to the arguement against brandon pettigrew. it's very similar.

No it's not. My argument against Brandon Pettigrew is that he has never even had 1 game in his entire career that would make me think he was something special. Not a single game. I wasn't even in favor of drafting Ryan myself, but certainly I was aware of many games where he dominated.

No it's not. My argument against Brandon Pettigrew is that he has never even had 1 game in his entire career that would make me think he was something special. Not a single game. I wasn't even in favor of drafting Ryan myself, but certainly I was aware of many games where he dominated.

he is a TE in a run first offense. he is getting the hype that he does because of he has very good, sure hands as a receiver and is excellent as a run blocker. not many TEs are excellent at both.

you have to look deeper then just stats, you have to look at what the player brings to the table. if all you do is look at stats then you would think graham harrell, not matt stafford, would be the number 1 pick in the draft.

His stats do not indicate that he is a recieving threat.

matt ryan's stats from college also indicated that he can't read a defense and makes too many mistakes.

the moral of the story is that stats do not tell the whole idea, especially generic stats. stats i would like to see is %drops, third down drop %, offensive yards gained on running plays to his side, how effective he is catching the ball over the middle, etc.

I doubt it...much more important needs than a TE.

I thought that dot was a spot on my screen until it didn't rub off...:lol:

just b/c we have a bigger need does not mean we will draft the BPA for that position at that spot. for instance, let's say that dimitroff thinks that NT is a much bigger need then TE. If we get to 24 and TD has the choice between first round projected pettigrew and the best available NT available is rated as a third round pick, then TD would go with pettigrew.

1. I think if I were Buffalo GM Russ Brandon, I wouldn't be thinking, "Eleven's too high to take Brandon Pettigrew.'' If I couldn't trade down four of five slots (and, as you can see by history above, the Bills don't trade much on draft day), I'd take the best all-around tight end to come out since -- well, since maybe Jeremy Shockey -- right there at number 11.

From Peter KIng in today's MMQB