Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mjace71

Clay Matthews and Brian Cushing are not racist...chill.

39 posts in this topic

More On The Clay Matthews “White Nation” Issue

Posted by Mike Florio on April 19, 2009, 12:30 p.m. EDT

Our recent dusting off of the whole “White Nation” Facebook controversy involving two former USC players in the current NFL draft class prompted coverage of the issue by various major outlets.

So we’re compelled to present the other side of the story with some facts we have picked up since posting the initial story.

For starters, it appears clear to us that the whole thing was a joke. Though it wasn’t the kind of joke that will result in Stu Chermak or Jay Crespi suggesting a possible pilot with NBC, it was a joke.

As we now understand it, the “White Nation” label was given to the white special teams players by assistant USC coach Todd McNair, who is black.

Matthews’ former roommate at USC and one of his best friends is Bengals linebacker Keith Rivers, who is black.

Matthews’ long-time girlfriend is black.

Finally, and as several readers have pointed out, Matthews’ wouldn’t have survived for two years in a locker room including multiple black players if Matthews were a closet racist.

So while the joke was in our view stupid and unfunny, it wasn’t the product of a racist mindset. And it shouldn’t affect Matthews’ draft stock.

Unless a team is trying to replace the in-house comedian who signed elsewhere during free agency.

More On The Clay Matthews “White Nation” Issue

Posted by Mike Florio on April 19, 2009, 12:30 p.m. EDT

Our recent dusting off of the whole “White Nation” Facebook controversy involving two former USC players in the current NFL draft class prompted coverage of the issue by various major outlets.

So we’re compelled to present the other side of the story with some facts we have picked up since posting the initial story.

For starters, it appears clear to us that the whole thing was a joke. Though it wasn’t the kind of joke that will result in Stu Chermak or Jay Crespi suggesting a possible pilot with NBC, it was a joke.

As we now understand it, the “White Nation” label was given to the white special teams players by assistant USC coach Todd McNair, who is black.

Matthews’ former roommate at USC and one of his best friends is Bengals linebacker Keith Rivers, who is black.

Matthews’ long-time girlfriend is black.

Finally, and as several readers have pointed out, Matthews’ wouldn’t have survived for two years in a locker room including multiple black players if Matthews were a closet racist.

So while the joke was in our view stupid and unfunny, it wasn’t the product of a racist mindset. And it shouldn’t affect Matthews’ draft stock.

Unless a team is trying to replace the in-house comedian who signed elsewhere during free agency.

It may have been a joke, but there are things you just dont need to joke about. No matter what it was still very childish and stupid.

It may have been a joke, but there are things you just dont need to joke about. No matter what it was still very childish and stupid.

When the nickname is given to you by a black guy who is your coach...I'm guessing it's okay to joke about. Everybody associated with the team got the joke, and liked it.

Everyone who has no idea about the situation threw a **** hissy fit and cried racism before they even had any facts at all.

Proving that if you don't know what you're talking about, you shouldn't talk.

When the nickname is given to you by a black guy who is your coach...I'm guessing it's okay to joke about. Everybody associated with the team got the joke, and liked it.

Everyone who has no idea about the situation threw a **** hissy fit and cried racism before they even had any facts at all.

Thats why it should have stayed on the field. The fact that they made a facebook group is the childish part.

Thats why it should have stayed on the field. The fact that they made a facebook group is the childish part.

god forbid a 20 year old kid try to be funny!

What do you expect when a person like Howard Cosell, who calls more than just black people little monkeys and donates to the NAACP, loses his job? People are too stubborn with this kind of stuff.

this whole thing is stupid. sure it was a dumb idea to make it a facebook group but its not as big a deal as everyone is making it out to be. people are so quick to cry racism its just sad and even more childish than matthews making the group in the first place. its to the point where people just want attention. come on now. shut up and let it drop it was a stupid mistake by him and he knows it. he's definitely not racist though.

No it wasn't, it was an inside joke that people who had no idea about it had any right to question it.

There is a long running inside joke between me and a couple of friends that we are apart of a crime family, and one dude has a face book group named after it.

Doesn't mean people should actually think we are apart of a crime family and should be investigated by the FBI.

People need to use common sense and not be so quick to pull out there Jump To Conclusions mat.

A couple of notes:

1. The joke was put in place by a black guy, and they took it and ran with it on facebook.

2. They carried it too far.

3. They never meant to hurt or offend anyone.

4. People make mistakes.

5. Grow up.

True, and how'd it go from a unnamed black player to an assistant?

because the media screws things up all the time.. you need to relax, the person who gave them the name was black. who cares who it is.

Oh i get. the "my bestfriend and girlfriend are black so i cant be racist" excuse. Doesnt matter, they arent gonna be falcons anyway. i have a feeling the "people of atlanta" arent gonna be too thrilled with that joke. I dont care if his momma is black.

lol...whether or not it was a joke, i'm sure everyone can agree being a member on a facebook group called white nation would draw yellow flags almost instantly. i'm not saying anyone is racist or isn't...but by taking myself out the argument, i can understand why people would look down on something like that. if you can't then you need to step outside yourself and actually look at the argument.

i don't understand why race is such an issue now a days. come on mother ****ers get over it, we have a black president now!

it's still a problem in america.

but you know whats even worse?

directing it at people who everyone really knows doesn't deserve the title.

bird, that's a good question. Mike Florio wrote the piece, call him on it. Facts are not variable.

racist or not, I don't want to see TD and company draft either one. I've been saying it for a while, "we do not need a LB at #24" . However, we might need one later on for depth and ST.

"it's still a problem in america."

If racism is such a problem here in America then why does most of Africa want to move here. Name me one country in the world where blacks have more opportunity and more wealth......

If racism is such a problem here in America then why does most of Africa want to move here. Name me one country in the world where blacks have more opportunity and more wealth......

The same reason anybody else wants to move here, to try and better themselves and their families.

Your statement is kinda racist itself--nah, not racist, you just don't have a clue

This is one of the stupidest statements I've seen. What does people moving from Africa have to do with racism here in America. So, next time when posting on racism, please think first, post second. It will hide your lack of intelligence.

I got a news flash for you guys. Teammates make racists jokes all the time with each other, it's regular locker room banter in almost any locker room. Football people know this so I doubt it will affect either one of these guys, but I am still hoping the Falcons go in a different direction than LB in the first round.

I got a news flash for you guys. Teammates make racists jokes all the time with each other, it's regular locker room banter in almost any locker room. Football people know this so I doubt it will affect either one of these guys, but I am still hoping the Falcons go in a different direction than LB in the first round.

Yah, I have just been playing devil's advocate in the whole thing.

It threw me off at first 'til I read the details.

I'm sure all the guys involved thought it was funny, and it really was an inside joke.

It's like I found that Black Monopoly board with squares that only said 'Go to Jail" funny.

Some people might have found that racist, but to me it was just a funny exaggeration of the human condition.

falcon_boogie wrote: "This is one of the stupidest statements I've seen. What does people moving from Africa have to do with racism here in America. So, next time when posting on racism, please think first, post second. It will hide your lack of intelligence."

So according to your logic people normally would move to a country where "racism" against them exists instead of staying in a country with their "brothas and sistas" who do not exibit any racism towards them. LMFAO. And, I note, you didn't answer my question...name one country in the world where blacks have more opportunity and wealth. Since I know you will not answer the question I will anwer it for you....no such country exists. That's why black immigrants from Africa and native born blacks generally don't get along. The blacks from Africa know what a great existence the native born blacks have here....and they know the whole "racism exists" argument is a friggin' joke.

rounz wrote: "The same reason anybody else wants to move here, to try and better themselves and their families.

Your statement is kinda racist itself--nah, not racist, you just don't have a clue"

If they are moving here from a place where people look like them there must not be much "racism" here if they can better themselves and their families here. You failed Logic 101 in College I'll bet (assuming you went to college). I do note that you did not answer my specific question...name one country in the world where black's have more opportunity and wealth? You and I know both know the answer to that, but if you admit it you will have to give up your "racism" crutch in life. Kinda pathetic.

rounz wrote: "The same reason anybody else wants to move here, to try and better themselves and their families.

Your statement is kinda racist itself--nah, not racist, you just don't have a clue"

If they are moving here from a place where people look like them there must not be much "racism" here if they can better themselves and their families here. You failed Logic 101 in College I'll bet (assuming you went to college). I do note that you did not answer my specific question...name one country in the world where black's have more opportunity and wealth? You and I know both know the answer to that, but if you admit it you will have to give up your "racism" crutch in life. Kinda pathetic.

You really do miss the point don't you/?

For you to assume that the reason any Black person in the world would immigrant to America is because he or she thinks there's no is little or no racism really does show how you don't have a clue.

Did Jewish people think they wouldn't be discriminated against?

Did the Chinese think they would be welcomed with open arms?

yet they still thought they would have better opportunities--mostly economic--than where they came from