Full, complete faith in Dimitroff

Needs saying.....

With all the preferences being expressed; all the mock drafts and possible scenarios being postulated... next weekend's draft is being controlled by an expert, who fortunately is not a prisoner to fan opinion and will undoubtedly bring in a whole gang of talented new Falcons for us to cheer for.

I've been a fan since the very first days, when Nobis was one of the only Falcons worth watching and 'Falcon Fan Day' at Furman University was attended by myself and a handful of other nutjob fans. I've known more than a dozen Falcons personally and I've heard some truly fun inside stories. I've been aboard the team rollercoaster for the few ups and all of the terrible downs this franchise has taken, and I feel obliged to remind everyone of where this team stood ONE YEAR AGO, with TD and Coach Smith newly installed at the helm.

Dimitroff and the brand new Falcons coaching staff drafted, signed, trained and coached what was then a near-total discouragement of a team to a playoff squad capable of knocking down almost any other team they faced at the end of the season. The management team of Dimitroff and Smith (and staff) have proven in just one year that they are very good at this talent evaluation deal so many of us armchair types try to understand, and regardless of what direction the draft goes next weekend, these guys have EARNED our loyalty and support with whatever structure this team takes going into the 2009 season.

So, each of you who have already expressed your opinions, declared your disappointments in possible picks, and insist that we CAN'T WIN without so-and-so on our roster, I have but one nugget of advice to you: hie thee to your local witch doctor this week and get a prescription for 'chill pills' ; relax and read up on the picks Dimitroff makes, and then, with a minimum of fuss, get behind this year's Birds and support them, come what may. They have proven in just one year that they deserve it.

Me personally, I hoped for six or seven wins last year, and maybe the playoffs in a few years, with luck and maybe 3-4 good drafts. I'm not dumb enough to try to convince anyone I know more about NFL talent than Dimitroff, nor do I have a functioning crystal ball hidden away for such events. I trust TD and Coach Smith to do what they do best, and look forward with increased excitement to the results next weekend. A year ago, how many cared?

You tell'em Pappy. I'll be glad when the draft gets here. Reading all the mock drafts and who everyone wants and don't want is getting old. Sure, there are players I would like to see us pick and some I don't. But at the end of the day, I'll go with who TD and Smitty choose.

GO FALCONS !!!!!!!!!!

Well said Pappy. Personally, I am hoping for that magical nine wins. I have a deep need to see the Falcons get that monkey off OUR backs. I too have been following this team for many years. Though, I don't know any players personally.

Creating mocks is now, and always has been, a mental exercise; an exercise that is executed without a shred of reliable knowledge about the prospects. I first became interested in the Draft and in mocking a draft during the Ken Herock days. Year after year, I could not understand the logic behind the picks. I questioned our FO's and compared them to those of the Cowboys and other successful teams. It became clear that our franchise's dismal record was a tradition born from the incompetence of it's decision makers. Often times, equipped with nothing more that a fan's view of college games, I picked better players than our own expert FO.

Today, I am happy to say that our FO is not only competent, but excellent. I too will support their picks. But, for now, allow me the entertainment of mocking my own draft.......for $hit$ and giggles.

Well said, and good point. I cannot believe I still see people saying "if we pick X player Dimitrioff should resign." That is ridiculous. If they choose Pettigrew, or whatever, then they have watched more tape, know more about the Falcons and understand the scheme better than any of us. That is an example, but same goes for JL, or Delmas, or Johnson, or anyone. We can't afford to be that picky with #24, but I trust whoever they choose.

Needs saying.....

With all the preferences being expressed; all the mock drafts and possible scenarios being postulated... next weekend's draft is being controlled by an expert, who fortunately is not a prisoner to fan opinion and will undoubtedly bring in a whole gang of talented new Falcons for us to cheer for.

I've been a fan since the very first days, when Nobis was one of the only Falcons worth watching and 'Falcon Fan Day' at Furman University was attended by myself and a handful of other nutjob fans. I've known more than a dozen Falcons personally and I've heard some truly fun inside stories. I've been aboard the team rollercoaster for the few ups and all of the terrible downs this franchise has taken, and I feel obliged to remind everyone of where this team stood ONE YEAR AGO, with TD and Coach Smith newly installed at the helm.

Dimitroff and the brand new Falcons coaching staff drafted, signed, trained and coached what was then a near-total discouragement of a team to a playoff squad capable of knocking down almost any other team they faced at the end of the season. The management team of Dimitroff and Smith (and staff) have proven in just one year that they are very good at this talent evaluation deal so many of us armchair types try to understand, and regardless of what direction the draft goes next weekend, these guys have EARNED our loyalty and support with whatever structure this team takes going into the 2009 season.

So, each of you who have already expressed your opinions, declared your disappointments in possible picks, and insist that we CAN'T WIN without so-and-so on our roster, I have but one nugget of advice to you: hie thee to your local witch doctor this week and get a prescription for 'chill pills' ; relax and read up on the picks Dimitroff makes, and then, with a minimum of fuss, get behind this year's Birds and support them, come what may. They have proven in just one year that they deserve it.

Me personally, I hoped for six or seven wins last year, and maybe the playoffs in a few years, with luck and maybe 3-4 good drafts. I'm not dumb enough to try to convince anyone I know more about NFL talent than Dimitroff, nor do I have a functioning crystal ball hidden away for such events. I trust TD and Coach Smith to do what they do best, and look forward with increased excitement to the results next weekend. A year ago, how many cared?

Maybe you should make a mock, then you may see why some posters in this forum like to make mock and comment on them. It is all in fun. I am pretty sure that most who make the mocks trust TD and whomever he picks. I enjoy giving my opinion that is what this MB is for. IF you dont like to read fans opinions then this MB might not work for you. I have learned to have strong MB skin regarding some of the comments that people make on this MB. I would rather see fans opinions on the team, regarding of how stupid some may seem than to read some of the racists, ignorant comments that I sometimes see, (it has gotten alot better though, but i have learned to stay away from Anything but Football). Basically, i agree with your opinion regarding TD and also believe that he will and is in the process of making the FAlcons into a dynasty.

Maybe you should make a mock, then you may see why some posters in this forum like to make mock and comment on them. It is all in fun. I am pretty sure that most who make the mocks trust TD and whomever he picks. I enjoy giving my opinion that is what this MB is for. IF you dont like to read fans opinions then this MB might not work for you. I have learned to have strong MB skin regarding some of the comments that people make on this MB. I would rather see fans opinions on the team, regarding of how stupid some may seem than to read some of the racists, ignorant comments that I sometimes see, (it has gotten alot better though, but i have learned to stay away from Anything but Football). Basically, i agree with your opinion regarding TD and also believe that he will and is in the process of making the FAlcons into a dynasty.

Perfect Example of what i am referring to in my orignal post

http://life.atlantafalcons.com/index.php?s...t&p=4648923

Great post, Pappy. I feel the same way. As a matter of fact, I contribute some of my "disinterest" (if you can call it that) in this year's draft to TD and those guys in the front office. I *know* we're in good hands. Last year's draft was pretty much make-or-break for us. I have so much faith in those guys after they struck the jackpot with practically every move last off-season.

My stress-levels were sky-high last draft. Although I warmed up to the idea of drafting Matt Ryan a few days before the draft, I was still sick to my stomach when his name was called. Next Saturday is going to be much more relaxed than last year's draft for me. It's probably very unfair to expect our picks to all contribute like they did for us this past season, but I truly believe we have the next great NFL GM running our team.

Unlike last year, there will be no whining and moaning from me after our picks are announced. There are some guys I like more than others, but TD, Coach Smith, and the rest of the staff have earned my trust. We're in great hands.