I am sold on.....

jluk

James Laurinaitis

If he is there at #24, there's no one else I see as better value at the pick that may be reasonably expected to be still on the board. Unless someone surprising falls, I think JL is our guy, assuming Detroit does not take him at #20.

forcing a good ILB to play OLB in a cover two, who isn't that good at shedding blocks and doesn't have elite range and speed....

no thanks

Whether you want to deny it or not, JL's combine numbers were excellent except for his 40 time...

His shuttle and cone drills were great, and he is quick to diagnose plays making him even faster in pads. JL didnt need to shed blocks in college, as he could rely on his short area burst and athleticism to get around them.

In my opinion, JL can play any LB position in our system, and thats exactly what TD and Smith are looking for...

Also, TD has shown he isnt afraid of trading up to get his guy, which is exactly what he will do in the 2nd round for Delmas - If he really likes him. Delmas isnt a 1st round pick as long as my a$$ points to the ground. The End.

:P

Well JL might have to shed some blocks this year if we don't get any D-line help so him being not able shed blocks could be a worry.

I had another look at his combine stats and his 40 was average but everything else was right up there with the top LB so if we went with JL the actual idea of this pick is growing on me.He'll be solid and will be a starter and will produce straight away so I'm all good with this pick.

Well JL might have to shed some blocks this year if we don't get any D-line help so him being not able shed blocks could be a worry.

I had another look at his combine stats and his 40 was average but everything else was right up there with the top LB so if we went with JL the actual idea of this pick is growing on me.He'll be solid and will be a starter and will produce straight away so I'm all good with this pick.

Shedding blocks and his 40 time are the ONLY real knocks he has...

Im not buying the shedding blocks crap thrown around this board anyway. Its just a way to bring an excellent prospect down, who would of most likely gone top 10 last season and had a wonderful rookie campaign... Who ever gets him deep in the 1st(if he lasts that long) will have a 10 year starter from day 1 on their hands...

Shedding blocks and his 40 time are the ONLY real knocks he has...

Im not buying the shedding blocks crap thrown around this board anyway. Its just a way to bring an excellent prospect down, who would of most likely gone top 10 last season and had a wonderful rookie campaign... Who ever gets him deep in the 1st(if he lasts that long) will have a 10 year starter from day 1 on their hands...

I don't buy into that argument either, JL and the rest of our linebackers will be protected in our system by the NT. And I got a feeling JL is going to be our first round pick, even if TD has to trade up a few spots to get him he would do it.

when was the last time we had a 245lb SLB? he is pleanty big enough for SLB.

he doesnt really play like a 245 lb SLB though. hes a great form tackler but doesnt have tons of pop like a Rey Maualuga has on contact and he doesnt violently attack blockers and doesnt disengage well from them either. i kind of want a SLB that will attack the line of scrimmage and kind of beat up blockers (which is why i wanted peterson at SLB so bad, i think he could do that for us) but i just dont think nicholas can or will do that. and i dont think laurinaitis would either.

however, i could see us drafting him because of his reliability and because he is probably one of the safer picks in the draft. i would prefer larry english, but thats just me. and if we do pick him ill support him. i dont know if id want him at WLB, but i said all along that he MIGHT be able to play WLB, but i definitely think his ideal position is inside. maybe he will prove me wrong and be great outside too, but i dont really anticipate that i guess.

-Mr. Offseason

What Smith has definitely said, is he wants players that can play anywhere...

He wants LB's that can play all LB positions and he wants safeties that can play both FS and SS...

Im confident that JL CAN and WILL play any LB position asked of him, if we draft him, and at a high level as well...

Thats why he is a safe pick for any team, not just ours...

2009 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

person

James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio State

James Laurinaitis is one of the best football players that will be available (regardless of position) in the 2009 NFL Draft. Laurinaitis is coming off back to back 100 plus tackle seasons, where he has won the Nagurski Award (2006), the Butkus Award (2007), and the Bedinark Trophy (2007). The senior inside linebacker is one of the most highly decorated defenders in the history of college football, and came back for his senior season to collect even more hardware. Laurinaitis is nothing short of a monster in the middle of the field. He possesses great sideline to sideline speed, so he always seems to be in on the tackle. Doug Lesmerises of the Cleveland Plain Dealer wrote that he closes ground on tackles as well as any college linebacker you'll find. He played in 51 games during his career, and Laurinaitis has tallied 375 tackles, 24.5 tackles for loss, and 13 sacks. He registered a career high 19 tackles last season when the Buckeyes played Penn State. Laurinaitis is an excellent field general for his defense, equally adept against the run or the pass. He also intercepted 9 passes and broke up 7 in coverage, along with forcing 4 fumbles during his career, and added a fourth major award (the Lott Trophy) in 2008. The 6'3", 240 pound Laurinaitis' combination of size, speed, strength, and instincts will make him an ideal fit for any NFL defense. Teams looking for help on the outside may even consider Laurinaitis for the strong or weak side, to strengthen their team. He should be a top 15 to 20 pick depending on team needs, but will have stiff competition from USC's Rey Maualuga for the top linebacker spot in this draft.

JL hurt his stock by going back for his senior year. Prospects as good as him go 'stale' and are nitpicked, such as the 'shedding blocks' - 'no pop in his tackles' theories... I'll take the guy who brings down the ball carrier every time over the guy who goes for highlight reel tackles and misses now and then...

What Smith has definitely said, is he wants players that can play anywhere...

He wants LB's that can play all LB positions and he wants safeties that can play both FS and SS...

Im confident that JL CAN and WILL play any LB position asked of him, if we draft him, and at a high level as well...

Thats why he is a safe pick for any team, not just ours...

2009 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

person

James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio State

James Laurinaitis is one of the best football players that will be available (regardless of position) in the 2009 NFL Draft. Laurinaitis is coming off back to back 100 plus tackle seasons, where he has won the Nagurski Award (2006), the Butkus Award (2007), and the Bedinark Trophy (2007). The senior inside linebacker is one of the most highly decorated defenders in the history of college football, and came back for his senior season to collect even more hardware. Laurinaitis is nothing short of a monster in the middle of the field. He possesses great sideline to sideline speed, so he always seems to be in on the tackle. Doug Lesmerises of the Cleveland Plain Dealer wrote that he closes ground on tackles as well as any college linebacker you'll find. He played in 51 games during his career, and Laurinaitis has tallied 375 tackles, 24.5 tackles for loss, and 13 sacks. He registered a career high 19 tackles last season when the Buckeyes played Penn State. Laurinaitis is an excellent field general for his defense, equally adept against the run or the pass. He also intercepted 9 passes and broke up 7 in coverage, along with forcing 4 fumbles during his career, and added a fourth major award (the Lott Trophy) in 2008. The 6'3", 240 pound Laurinaitis' combination of size, speed, strength, and instincts will make him an ideal fit for any NFL defense. Teams looking for help on the outside may even consider Laurinaitis for the strong or weak side, to strengthen their team. He should be a top 15 to 20 pick depending on team needs, but will have stiff competition from USC's Rey Maualuga for the top linebacker spot in this draft.

JL hurt his stock by going back for his senior year. Prospects as good as him go 'stale' and are nitpicked, such as the 'shedding blocks' - 'no pop in his tackles' theories... I'll take the guy who brings down the ball carrier every time over the guy who goes for highlight reel tackles and misses now and then...

Yep. Toss in his top-notch intangibles, work ethic, and passion for the game and you'll have a winner on your hands.