No progress in Panthers' bid to re-sign Peppers

Shredman

No progress in Panthers' bid to re-sign Peppers, but GM still confident

Associated Press

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Carolina Panthers general manager Marty Hurney remains confident that Julius Peppers will return to the team next season, even as the defensive end has made public his wishes to play elsewhere.

In a pre-draft interview with reporters Thursday, Hurney said there were no new developments in the stalemate with the four-time Pro Bowl pick. The Panthers placed the franchise tag on Peppers, but he hasn't signed the one-year tender for $16.7 million and has said he won't sign a long-term deal with Carolina.

If a trade isn't worked out, Hurney said he doesn't believe Peppers would hold out of training camp.

Julius Peppers, DE

Carolina Panthers

2008 Statistics

Tackles: 51

Sacks: 14.5

Forced Fumbles: 5

"We've known Julius for seven years, and it has been a good seven years," Hurney said. "I think he knows how we feel, and we feel like he's been happy here. And again, nothing has changed. We franchised him, and when we did, we knew there was a period for the process to take place. When that process goes through, then he's going to be back."

Under the non-exclusive franchise tag, another team could sign Peppers only by giving Carolina two first-round draft picks. The Panthers could trade Peppers for less than that, but because he hasn't signed his tender, only the player's agent, Carl Carey, can negotiate with other teams.

Carey didn't immediately return a message seeking comment. Hurney said he hasn't been approached by Carey with a trade offer.

Peppers, who had a career-high 14.5 sacks last season, is causing the Panthers other offseason headaches, too. Even though he hasn't signed the contract, the $16.7 million counts against Carolina's salary cap.

It has meant the Panthers haven't been able to sign any free agents after they re-signed left tackle Jordan Gross. They've lost several backups to other teams and cut starting cornerback Ken Lucas and wide receiver D.J. Hackett to clear salary-cap space.

"If you look, there are a lot of teams that I regard as successful organizations, and successful teams that have followed the same approach and aren't very active in free agency," Hurney said. "We've kept our nucleus together. We have a lot of starters back from last year. We have some young players who I think can help our depth.

"We feel good about the makeup of the team. We hope to help ourselves in the draft next Saturday."

The Panthers don't have a first-round pick in the draft because of last year's trade that allowed the team to pick starting right tackle Jeff Otah. That could change if a trade is worked out for Peppers, but Hurney insisted it's not a priority.

"When we franchised Julius, we did so with the intention of having him back," Hurney said, "and that's where it stands."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press...........................................................................

.................................................................................

.................................................................................

Ok Peppers has already held up all Panthers FA Moves with a Franchise Tag, If he Doesnt Sign Tender what do Pathers do ?Do they remove Franchise Tag to free up funds to bring someone in ?

Peppers has said more than once he liked Atlanta and would like to play for Falcons, If he holds out I Could see Falcons Making him the Highest Paid Defensive Player in NFL History for the uncapped yr of 2010, Question is Does he sit and not sign and what do pathers do if he does?

If he really was all that high on playing in a 3-4 he would just sign and be traded to Patriots, so maybe this goes deeper than we think...

something to ponder on anyway

peppers is this disloyal to the panthers, what do you think he would do to the falcons front office if he got un happy again...plus theres a chance he has another 2 sack season like he did the year befor last. he's not worth it. say no to peppers

Good Point, but the guy is such a beast, i wouldnt bat an eye if we gave him King Coin....

Why would we resign him? We already know that he's capable of taking an entire season off if he wants to. Keeping him around on a long-term contract would be idiotic. We could get away with it on a one-year tender because he would have to play well if he wanted to get paid.We just need to find somebody to trade with, which we can't do because he won't sign the tender. Awesome.

Guest jb aka johnnybuc
Absolutely not. We can trade him for something, at least a first day pick. Why get nothing when you can get something?

The way he's talking and acting it looks like you'll not get nearly what you should. He's an *******, I wouldn't want a ME ME ME guy like him on our team.

Absolutely not. We can trade him for something, at least a first day pick. Why get nothing when you can get something?

What team will wanna take a 17 million dollar hit like that while giving up a valuable draft pick at the same time? I understand he MIGHT re-do his contract for that long term deal he wants, but he's not going to get AH money thats for sure. :)

Two teams who really havn't done anything this offseason are the Panthers and Falcons.

What team will wanna take a 17 million dollar hit like that while giving up a valuable draft pick at the same time? I understand he MIGHT re-do his contract for that long term deal he wants, but he's not going to get AH money thats for sure. :)

Two teams who really havn't done anything this offseason are the Panthers and Falcons.

No, we just haven't splurged in the expensive, high-risk cluster**** that is the pre-draft period of free agency. The draft and the tough cap cuts that come after it are where the serious value is. It says enough that you consider locking up our All Pro left tackle at a discount to be "doing nothing". What have the Bucs done anyway, other than cut all their veterans and get stood up by the likes of Haynesworth and Cutler like the president of the chess club on prom night? Oh yeah, they signed Kellen Winslow, Byron Leftwich, and a situational running back. CHAMPIONSHIP.

No, we just haven't splurged in the expensive, high-risk cluster**** that is the pre-draft period of free agency. The draft and the tough cap cuts that come after it are where the serious value is. It says enough that you consider locking up our All Pro left tackle at a discount to be "doing nothing". What have the Bucs done anyway, other than cut all their veterans and get stood up by the likes of Haynesworth and Cutler like the president of the chess club on prom night? Oh yeah, they signed Kellen Winslow, Byron Leftwich, and a situational running back. CHAMPIONSHIP.

Don't forget that they imploded their leadership. That counts as doing something.

most teams dont even have 17 mil of cap room at this point lol

Guest jb aka johnnybuc
most teams dont even have 17 mil of cap room at this point lol

The BUCS must still have twice that! :rolleyes:

How can you splurge? your paying a DE 17 mill this season. :lol:

I'm thinking AH and Cutler are in that Cluster****** range, Best of luck repeating with the same exact team as last year minus a few starters that y'all cut so you can re-sign your over payed over hyped 17 million dollar cry baby. :)

You remember Ward don't you? he was that sucker who rushed for **** near 200 Yards on y'all. Situational? Nah.

How can you splurge? your paying a DE 17 mill this season. :lol:

I'm thinking AH and Cutler are in that Cluster****** range, Best of luck repeating with the same exact team as last year minus a few starters that y'all cut so you can re-sign your over payed over hyped 17 million dollar cry baby. :)

You remember Ward don't you? he was that sucker who rushed for **** near 200 Yards on y'all. Situational? Nah.

Good to see that Bucs fans have another go-to cop out outside of Super Bowl XXXVII to go to now should their personnel decisions, coaching, or chin music ever be questioned. Are the Bucs even in the same neighborhood as the Giants when it comes to their offensive line? Do they have a high-calibre back like Jacobs to take a beating and soften up defenses? Do they have a quarterback like Manning who isn't necessarily a world-beater but can take pressure off the rushing attack if called upon? Are the Panthers starting defensive tackles going to be out both times we play Tampa Bay? The answers to that are no, sort of, **** no, and "I wouldn't bank on it".

How is it the "exact same team" if the draft hasn't even happened yet and there is an entire FA period left? I guess the Bucs are early FA winners because they added to their ongoing slack-***, injured, loud-mouth free agent tight end exhibit.

And yes Ward is a situational back. He only got 20 carries once last season, and he rushed for 69 yards on that against Arizona. I hope Tampa Bay makes him their starter because he'll get chewed up by the linebackers in the South.

Good to see that Bucs fans have another go-to cop out outside of Super Bowl XXXVII to go to now should their personnel decisions, coaching, or chin music ever be questioned. Are the Bucs even in the same neighborhood as the Giants when it comes to their offensive line? Do they have a high-calibre back like Jacobs to take a beating and soften up defenses? Do they have a quarterback like Manning who isn't necessarily a world-beater but can take pressure off the rushing attack if called upon? Are the Panthers starting defensive tackles going to be out both times we play Tampa Bay? The answers to that are no, sort of, **** no, and "I wouldn't bank on it".

I'm seeing a ton of excuses here Mr.K; furthermore, I would like to express that the only good thing about Jacobs WHEN HE'S HEALTHY is he's 260 pounds, Other than that he's a freaking Injury prone joke. :)

TB has a Tremendous Young O-line, thanks for asking, And nice DT cop-out. :)

Help me understand this, How before the draft y'all have to trade a 7th rounder for a LS because you can not afford tosign him due to the 17 million dollars y'all are paying for that broke d i c k DE, are you going to sign any-other FA after the draft?

the team that trades for Peppers will already have the deal pretty much worked out when they acquire him. Thats the way these things work. Its the only way these type trades work

I like how everyone is acting like we are taking the field tomorrow, the offseason isnt even half way over dumbas.ses. our team will look a lot different come August

the team that trades for Peppers will already have the deal pretty much worked out when they acquire him. Thats the way these things work. Its the only way these type trades work

I like how everyone is acting like we are taking the field tomorrow, the offseason isnt even half way over dumbas.ses. our team will look a lot different come August

I cant see any team trading away first day draft picks just to pay an almost 30 year old DE AH type money.

Lets be real here, hes gonna stay a Panther. :)

I cant see any team trading away first day draft picks just to pay an almost 30 year old DE AH type money.

Lets be real here, hes gonna stay a Panther. :)

it really doesnt matter what you can or cant possibly see happening. anything can happen. did you "see" the Bears trading for Cutler?

Pep is a freaky type athlete that GMs and scouts like. Someone could easily trade for him. Dont play this "lets be real here" bulls.hit where you act like its foolish and absurd to even entertain the idea. Its very likely he gets traded IMO

Gotta wait and see, but I have always said he wont be back with us. he has made up his mind, he wants to play elsewhere and you gotta admit the guy is pretty good

it really doesnt matter what you can or cant possibly see happening. anything can happen. did you "see" the Bears trading for Cutler?

Pep is a freaky type athlete that GMs and scouts like. Someone could easily trade for him. Dont play this "lets be real here" bulls.hit where you act like its foolish and absurd to even entertain the idea. Its very likely he gets traded IMO

Gotta wait and see, but I have always said he wont be back with us. he has made up his mind, he wants to play elsewhere and you gotta admit the guy is pretty good

25 year old Pro-bowl franchise Qb is the same as a Selfish DE who's only ambitions are to make more money than any other DE in history?

Did I know Cutler would be traded, Absolutely.

Your right, Peppers COULD be traded... To Oakland! their the only team that stupid to pay that underachiever like peppers AH money while giving up a first round draft pick. :rolleyes:

It is an absurd idea, and crazier things have happened. Have fun while Peppers holds you team hostage, I know I will! :P

And IF the Panthers do trade Pep for what they want, than it will go down as the best move in Panthers history.

25 year old Pro-bowl franchise Qb is the same as a Selfish DE who's only ambitions are to make more money than any other DE in history?

Did I know Cutler would be traded, Absolutely.

Your right, Peppers COULD be traded... To Oakland! their the only team that stupid to pay that underachiever like peppers AH money while giving up a first round draft pick. :rolleyes:

It is an absurd idea, and crazier things have happened. Have fun while Peppers holds you team hostage, I know I will! :P

And IF the Panthers do trade Pep for what they want, than it will go down as the best move in Panthers history.

totally missed the point. I was saying the Bears were an unlikely destination for Cutler. Pep is a stud, you are talking about him like he isnt a helluva player who lots of teams would love to have. He just turned 29 and has 4 or 5 good years left. He is a good pickup

again with the AH money? whats this all about?

Harrison's deal is probably closer for what Pep is gonna get

totally missed the point. I was saying the Bears were an unlikely destination for Cutler. Pep is a stud, you are talking about him like he isnt a helluva player who lots of teams would love to have. He just turned 29 and has 4 or 5 good years left. He is a good pickup

again with the AH money? whats this all about?

Harrison's deal is probably closer for what Pep is gonna get

I got what you were saying about Cutler, you knew he was going to get traded. Its just different with Pep.

Pep is by far one of the most overrated DE I've seen in a minute. I would much rather have Jason Taylor.

Pep might be a good pick up if you want to grossly overpay for him, Which I'm sure you more than cool with. :)

I got what you were saying about Cutler, you knew he was going to get traded. Its just different with Pep.

Pep is by far one of the most overrated DE I've seen in a minute. I would much rather have Jason Taylor.

Pep might be a good pick up if you want to grossly overpay for him, Which I'm sure you more than cool with. :)

Honestly... I think Pep is a good player when he applies himself.

Pay him, put him elsewhere, and I bet he'll be the best pep he can be for a season or so.

I'm not to thrilled about us being in this spot with Peppers, but, I don't think he'll be that much of a punk as to not play.

But if he doesn't... then we deal.

I mean, he's not even signed the paperwork yet.

I don't think that Pep will be traded... but, that's just me. Personally I think his agent (friend) is doing this more than Peppers is.

We'll see how it all turns out.

But, over all we need "depth" at Oline, and something to sure up the Dline a lil. (Peppers or No Peppers) and I think the new D-Staff will make the biggest difference... not have'n or not have'n Peppers.

Forget having cap money tied up for the Panthers, there are ways around that in the form of cuts and cap-friendly contract extensions. Peppers sabotaged his one shot at a monster contract by letting his agent run his mouth to the media. If he had come to the Panthers shortly after the season ended, said his piece, and offered to cooperate with the team in the matter, he'd be a Redskin or Eagle right now with an enormous salary. I'm going to laugh if the highest bidders for his services are the Panthers again next offseason, but this time he sheepishly signs a contract worth like half the value of the original 90/40 offered to him previously. If he chooses to hold out this season, it will hurt the Panthers during 2009, but it will screw his chances at ever getting paid like an A-list NFL player for good.

Every offseason, the Panthers are always screwed on the cap front and they'll barely be able to sign their draft picks, let alone test the FA waters. It was the same story when Gross was tagged last year.

This is a reason why I don't think that will happen, unless he has a subpar season. It is like always having to play catchup? The picks should be there and so should some cap space!

I know him signing long-term with us is very unlikely, but stranger things have happened. The Lance Briggs situation in Chicago a few years back is similar.