I'm sold on Delmas

hawkeye

WESTERN MICHIGAN SECONDARY COACH TIM DAOUST

"Louis has that unbelievable knack to close on a football in the air. He has great, great instincts. He's that rare safety who can cover a guy in the slot but will put his face on you. For a 200-pounder, he will bring the pain. ... In the past four years, he has fixed so many mistakes people made in front of him. He can just find the ball. ... We played a lot of zone here. We were a Cover 4 team with some Cover 2 concepts, so he didn't play a lot of man. But his first year he played corner and was an all-conference corner as a freshman. He has that ability. We just kept him in the middle of the field most of the time because of his range. ... He's got great feet and hips. He can change direction. Top-end speed is probably what doesn't make him a corner. But he can be a nickel back, or in a Cover 2 scheme, he'd be a great corner. ... If you talk to people around our league, [run support] is the first thing they'd mention about him. We put him back there at safety and got him involved in the run game as quickly as possible. He brings all of that 200 pounds against the run. He's phenomenal against the run, maybe to the point where he's susceptible to play-action. ... People have been pleasantly surprised [by his football smarts] when they came in here and interviewed him. He's had a lot thrown at him, because we had three defensive coordinators in three years. He's going to ask questions. Not only that, he's going to ask good questions, second-level questions. By no means is he a dumb kid. I've coached some, and Louis definitely isn't one of them. ... What makes this kid such a great kid without a doubt is the energy he brings to the football team. He's a phenomenal leader. He has that 'it' factor. He's had a lot of tough times in his life. A lot of people will quit in tough times. Louis Delmas will persevere. He's going to make it."

Well, that's what I would expect his coach would say about him. I have to disagree here. From all the film I've watched on this guy, I'm not sure why everyone is so high on this guy. I hate watching him tackle. He reminds me of Deion Sanders tackling. He lunges for the feet. He jumps in the tackle pile long after the tackle. I like Rashad Johnson or Sean Smith with our second round. Rather have Johnson. He reminds me of a smaller version of Ed Reed.

i think he would be a good pick up for us. im just not sure hes a 1st round talent

I agree, none of this year's crop of safeties is rated as highly as Phillips who went to the Giants last year & he wasn't graded as a first rounder.

The problem we have is it would be a reach at #24, but there are too many teams selecting above us in the second who need safeties. Apparently Dallas are in love with him, it would be great if he was there at #50 to trade up & beat them to the punch (& the Eagles who select #53).

i think he would be a good pick up for us. im just not sure hes a 1st round talent

The "thing" is guys, our biggest need is DT!!! Coach needs a youg, powerful, savy & SOLID DT to play his style of defense and we all "know" that our D needs a major overhaul!!! ;)

GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't like that fact that Delmas only bench press 12 reps, when P. Chung done 25. Thats a big big difference. He has skills, but no upper body strenght. I wouldn't mind picking him up in the secound, but no way the falcons us there 1st round pick on him.

I could see us taking Delmas if we're unable to trade down. Although most experts grade him as a 2nd rounder, McShay & Co. at ESPN have him as the 30th best player available. I'm not in love with most of the realistic options available at #24, which is why I'm hoping for a trade down above all else. But I'm not sure if any team will be dying to get up to #24, and in the scenario that we get no fair offers to move down, I'd be content with Delmas.