Share your Home Improvement projects

Flip Wilson

My wife bought a steamer the other day because she got a good deal on it. That somehow turned into a full remodel of two bathrooms.

We have had the house for 5 years and have always wanted to take down all of the wallpaper and paint but we were scared from all of the horror stories that you hear about removing wallpaper. With the steamer it came off really well. We then decided to replace all of the outdated faucets and fixtures, install ceramic tile, and sand and paint the vanities. Then we are going to move on to some other rooms.

That steamer is going to cost me a lot in the long run.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just trying to keep my grass cut after tons of rain. My riding mower is broken so all have is a 21 inch push mower and a weedeater from He11

I have a 42" cut riding mower (just a Murry, nothing special) but my wife insisted on cutting ours with a 22" push mower the last couple of times that she mowed. She said that she wanted the exercise but I think she is scared of all of the obstacles in our yard.

I have done a lot of grass killing so that I will have less weedeating this time.

mostly yard stuff.... just planted some veggies... also I am working on a couple of landscaping things..

also trying to keep the grass cut... seems like I mow it and by the time I am done its time to start again!!!

plan on tearing out my bathroom floor and subfloor this summer and re doing it. water got under the tub and rotted it out.... good times...probably go back with ceramic tile....

My wife and I just finished our maintenance projects that we do every year or so. Because the winters are so bad up here, caulked joints and wood take a beating from the expansion and contraction. The end result is wood trim pulling away from the wall, etc. It’s a royal pain in the *** to do, but the house looks much better afterward.

The other project that I’m stoked to begin this weekend, is building a storage container in the garage for all my tools. Unfortunately, I have to build it with doors and deadbolt capable because we share the garage with other tenants in the building that like to leave the garage door open.

The first is a picture taken when we bought our house just a little over 5 years ago.

The second is a picture that was taken last september when we finished our backyard project.

DSC00704-small.jpg

Picture0522-small.jpg

wow that looks nice.... I see those giant canopy things at lowes all the time.. I want one for my yard but I just havent gotten one yet...

The triple monitors are awesome.

thanky. i've got triple monitors both here at the house and at work. at work, it's great b/c i have mozilla open on one screen, email on another, and anything else i'm working with open on the 3rd. at home, it's just a nice little luxury. i can have 3 adult related video's of my choice open at the same time. ^_^

thanky. i've got triple monitors both here at the house and at work. at work, it's great b/c i have mozilla open on one screen, email on another, and anything else i'm working with open on the 3rd. at home, it's just a nice little luxury. i can have 3 adult related video's of my choice open at the same time. ^_^

or 3 FUPA's

Btw, how does it work? Do you use one mouse for all 3 screens?

thts nice. u put in new sod as well or is it just freshly cut? we put in sod when we did the patio at my old house.

Freshly cut. Actually, we just threw down seed. We had just had a bunch of trees cut down last summer and the stumps ground down. So we just tossed out some seed to fill the patches of dirt. Now we need to throw out some Bermuda that will make it through the summer months.

wow that looks nice.... I see those giant canopy things at lowes all the time.. I want one for my yard but I just havent gotten one yet...

Here is a word of advice if you get one. Unfasten the canopy top if a storm comes. Four of the Twelve fasteners broke in the big storm that we had last week. I am going to drill them out and replace them with wing bolts. Also, the manufacturer gives you some drive in tent stakes to hold it down. If I would have just used those, the whole thing would be gone right now. I bought some shed anchors that twist in about 2 feet deep. I also intend to poor some concrete over the feet.

The storm also blew about 150 shingles off of my house but I feel pretty fortunate because a lot of people have far, far worse damage than I have.

id like to kno as well. ive got my current monitor and the one from my old computer. is there anyway to run them both

In Windows there is a setting under Display in the Control Panel that becomes available when you hook up multiple monitors. When you highlight the second/third monitor you turn on the "extend desktop onto this monitor" option. This lets the mouse move between the different monitors.

Nice job on all of the projects! I'm closing on my first house May 7th and will be doing some painting and tiling.

In Windows there is a setting under Display in the Control Panel that becomes available when you hook up multiple monitors. When you highlight the second/third monitor you turn on the "extend desktop onto this monitor" option. This lets the mouse move between the different monitors.

Nice job on all of the projects! I'm closing on my first house May 7th and will be doing some painting and tiling.

Multiple monitors are really handy for Photoshop and Corel Draw users because you have an extra monitor for your palettes. I have just never seen anyone with three.

pretty much. regardless of if you do 2 or 3 monitors, you'll have to have the on-board VGA plug and then you'll have to purchase and install a video card. the video card that i have has both a VGA and DVI port on it, so with the on-board VGA, I have the ability to run 3 monitors. and the best tool EVER is ultra-mon which allows the blue start menu bar to be displayed across all 3 screens. so when you have 10 programs open across all 3 screens, you can minimize each program on that certain screen. without ultra-mon, the start menu bar would remain on the 1st screen and anything you minimized that was open on screen 2 or 3 would be minimized onto the start menu bar on the 1st monitor.

Bought the house in March. Completely repainted everything and installed chair rail in the GF's son's bedroom. Also built him a wrestling ring bed for the room. I built the outdoor bar with the beer cap table top(caps in liquid clear poly-acrylic resin). Just bought tile to redo the kitchen, breakfast area, and laundry room. After that's done, I'm either building an out building in the back yard to do golf club work along with all of my other wood working and shop related stuff or I'm pouring a concrete pad and building a stone outdoor fireplace. Haven't decided which I should do first, as I have half of the garage for a shop since my vehicle won't fit in it.

I am closing on my house *knocks on wood* on April 30th.................... not a lot needs to be done as I have suckered the sellers into doing what I would want ( ie paint)

however tehy converted the garage into a room and I am thinking about possiblly opening up the wall and expanding the living room with that.....

also I am going to extend the back patio and cover it and make an outdoor kitchen.

• 11 months later...

Spring time. It's time to bump this thread. I'm planning on doing some floor tiling and a backsplash in the kitchen. I have a questions for anyone that has ever done a kitchen backsplash. If you are using adhesive, do you need to use backerboard if you are installing behind a stove?