File sharing website founders sent to jail

A court in Sweden has jailed four men behind The Pirate Bay (TPB), the world's most high-profile file-sharing website, in a landmark case. the men were sentenced to a year in jail, and they were also ordered to pay 30m kronor (£2.4m) in damages.

In a Twitter posting, founder Sunde said: "Nothing will happen to TPB, this is just theatre for the media." Sunde went on to say that he "got the news last night that we lost".

"It used to be only movies, now even verdicts are out before the official release."

The damages were awarded to a number of entertainment companies, including Warner Bros, Sony Music Entertainment, EMI, and Columbia Pictures. However, the total awarded fell short of the 117m kronor (£9m) in damages and interest the firms were seeking.

International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) John Kennedy said the verdict sent out a clear message. "These guys weren't making a principled stand, they were out to line their own pockets. There was nothing meritorious about their behaviour, it was reprehensible."

"The Pirate Bay did immense harm and the damages awarded doesn't even get close to compensation, but we never claimed it did.

"There has been a perception that piracy is OK and that the music industry should just have to accept it. This verdict will change that," he said.

The four men denied the charges throughout the trial, saying that because they did not actually host any files, they were not doing anything wrong .Sunde said that there was no difference between us and Google. "The Pirate Bay will continue. Nothing is going to happen if we lose, for a multitude for reasons, not least because we will immediately appeal," he said.

A lawyer for Carl Lundstrom, Per Samuelson told journalists he was shocked by the guilty verdict and the severity of the sentence. "That's outrageous, in my point of view. Of course we will appeal," he was quoted as saying by Reuters news agency. "This is the first word, not the last. The last word will be ours."

The_Pirate_Bay_Cartoon-small.png

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as long as they didn't host the files themselves they didn't do anything wrong. This is like saying I come into AFB and post movie st*eams and the falcons forum gets in trouble for it. Sure the site was for that specific reason but they never themselves did anything wrong.

as long as they didn't host the files themselves they didn't do anything wrong. This is like saying I come into AFB and post movie st*eams and the falcons forum gets in trouble for it. Sure the site was for that specific reason but they never themselves did anything wrong.

But if they find a bag of weed in your car, they aint gonna buy that " someone left it there" excuse. ;)

For album's I'm really excited about, I still like to buy CD's. I love reading the insert and having an original hard copy.

Yep I whished i had made some hard copies of some of my music, after a nasty piece of malware wouldn't let me log in I had to completely wipe the whole hard drive and I am now in the process of downloading all of it again.

I can't shake the feeling if the record industry spent more time and resources finding talented artists, and producing quality albums, people would be more likely to buy their albums, and less likely to steal them. Seriously, why in the world would I pay $20 for an album that has one mediocre song on it? Remember the days when any given year 10 -15 classic albums were produced? Now adays we're lucky if we get one a year.

Yep I whished i had made some hard copies of some of my music, after a nasty piece of malware wouldn't let me log in I had to completely wipe the whole hard drive and I am now in the process of downloading all of it again.

Man that sucks. Sorry.

External hard drives are fairly cheap though. They've saved my bacon more than once. I back up religiously.

see I want to download free music. Im just afraid to. I used to use limewire, but I stopped after someone I know got fined for that... some insane amount...

I dont know anywhere to get free semi safe music without having to worry about fines, or even viruses (should be fairly safe on a mac, but im still scared)

Good choice getting rid of limewire, you want to use torrent's instead

I kow Utorrent has a mac beta they just released but you could also try Bitcomet or Bittorrent. If you pay a smalll fee to the Pirate Bay they hide your IP adress when file sharing, but honestly I wouldn't bother pratically all of my music collection before I had to wip the hardrive was from file sharing and I have never even had a letter of warning from my ISP

I can't shake the feeling if the record industry spent more time and resources finding talented artists, and producing quality albums, people would be more likely to buy their albums, and less likely to steal them. Seriously, why in the world would I pay $20 for an album that has one mediocre song on it? Remember the days when any given year 10 -15 classic albums were produced? Now adays we're lucky if we get one a year.

I honestly cant remember the last quality album that has come out. One that will still be good in 10 years. THere are some mediocre one's put out, but seriously what is the last Nevermind, or Appetite for Destruction, or Sgt Peppers, HOuses of the HOly,.... you get the point... even if you dont like some of these, you know what they are and who they are by.. and likely can sing along with most of the songs on each one.. records like this just are not being made anymore.

..."There has been a perception that piracy is OK and that the music industry should just have to accept it. This verdict will change that," he said...
The same perception a bunch of clueless thieves on this board have. I can't wait to see you pirates start getting locked up, fined and get your internet turned off. Then no more ABF. No TATF. LMAO. Can't wait. Scum sucking thieves.

I honestly cant remember the last quality album that has come out. One that will still be good in 10 years. THere are some mediocre one's put out, but seriously what is the last Nevermind, or Appetite for Destruction, or Sgt Peppers, HOuses of the HOly,.... you get the point... even if you dont like some of these, you know what they are and who they are by.. and likely can sing along with most of the songs on each one.. records like this just are not being made anymore.

I actually found a rap album a few months ago that I had never heard of that came out in 2000 that I would consider a classic. If rap isn't your thing though... Actually, the 2nd Cold Play album (Rush of Blood to the Head), I would consider a classic. Still, that's 2 albums in 10 years? Pathetic.

The same perception a bunch of clueless thieves on this board have. I can't wait to see you pirates start getting locked up, fined and get your internet turned off. Then no more ABF. No TATF. LMAO. Can't wait. Scum sucking thieves.

Overreact much? I don't condone internet file swapping, but something tells me you aren't as noble as you're pretending to be. Ever make a mix tape or CD? Ever received a mix tape or CD which you held onto and didn't turn to the police as evidence? Ever listen to an internet radio station?