Boyer will likely be sent down Saturday

Unknøwn

ATLANTA -- When David Ross strained his right groin during a Spring Training game March 31, Braves manager Bobby Cox said that his team couldn't afford to lose the backup catcher. But the timing of the injury, combined with Atlanta's early-season schedule, allowed Ross to return at an opportune time.

Ross was activated from the 15-day disabled list and placed in the Braves' lineup for Thursday afternoon's series finale against the Marlins. His presence allowed the Braves to rest Brian McCann before they embark on a nine-game road trip.

With three scheduled off-days during the season's first nine days, McCann was able to comfortably be behind the plate during the entirety of the first eight games the Braves played this year. After recording six hits, including two homers and three doubles, in his first 15 at-bats, the All-Star catcher has tallied just one single in the 14 at-bats that have followed.

Ross, who combined for 37 homers during the 2006 and '07 seasons with the Reds, experienced no discomfort while completing a two-game Minor League rehab stint with Class A Rome this week. His return to the roster led the Braves to option Clint Sammons to Triple-A Gwinnett.

"[Ross] looked good during Spring Training," Cox said. "Clint is great, too. We just didn't have a chance to get him into any of the games so far this year."

The Braves will have to make another roster move when they promote Jo-Jo Reyes from Gwinnett to start Saturday afternoon's game against the Pirates at PNC Park.

While allowing four runs and retiring just one of the five batters that he faced during Wednesday night's ninth inning, Blaine Boyer strengthened the belief that he'll be designated for assignment to make room for Reyes, who will be starting in place of the injured Tom Glavine.

Because Boyer is out of options, there's a chance the Braves could lose him to another club willing to claim him. But there's a growing sense that the club has become impatient while waiting for the 27-year-old reliever to live up to the promise of his powerful arm.

When Boyer struggled down the stretch last year, there was reason to believe he was battling the strains produced when he made 51 appearances before the All-Star break last year. But while allowing six earned runs in his first 1 1/3 innings this year, he has encountered similar struggles with what should be a fresh arm.

Mark Bowman is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Sounds like the Braves are ready to just get rid of him

I wonder if theres another club that wants him I know Dayton Moore likes bringing in former Braves in KC but thats doubtful for Boyer just have to wait and see

That reminds me though the Braves must really be tired of him because they tried to throw him into the Peavy deal but San Diego wouldnt take him they were lobbying for Jeff Locke instead

This is why Atlanta has the worst most ignorant fans in the history of the galaxy. Give him another 5-7 appearances for passing judgement on him. <_<

:rolleyes: ......It is not up to the fans, it is up to the organization and the organization has given him many times to live up to his potential and he comes in throwing balls everytime. You obviously have not watched much baseball this year or last or you woud know he has been given more chances then any other player in that bullpen. This isn't even final yet so why don't you wait and see what happens before you start crying.

:rolleyes: ......It is not up to the fans, it is up to the organization and the organization has given him many times to live up to his potential and he comes in throwing balls everytime. You obviously have not watched much baseball this year or last or you woud know he has been given more chances then any other player in that bullpen. This isn't even final yet so why don't you wait and see what happens before you start crying.

LOL right over your head. :lol:

I have always loved Boyer's arm but outside of his good rookie year of 2005 he has been ******. There is no getting around it and I have gotten fed up with it. I want to see Kris Medlan in the bullpen. From what I saw of him in spring training he is a strike throwing ground ball machine. In fact I have gotten so fed up with him and the nearly the entire bullpen that outside or Moylan, Soriano and Gonzalez I wouldn't mind one bit if they got rid of the rest of the guys down there. I know Moylan has struggled this season but he has a good excuse. He's still not 100 percent.