Madden will not be calling the Falcon's SN game.

Ghost Rider

ajc.com > Sports

Legendary football broadcaster John Madden retires

Associated Press

Thursday, April 16, 2009

NEW YORK (AP) — John Madden is calling it quits.

NBC said Thursday that the burly ex-coach who has been one pro football’s top broadcast analysts has decided to retire. The 73-year-old Madden has been working for the past three seasons on NBC’s Sunday night NFL game. His last telecast was the Super Bowl between Arizona and Pittsburgh.

Since he left coaching in 1979, the former Oakland Raiders coach has worked as an analyst for all four broadcast networks. His “Madden NFL Football” is the top-selling sports video game of all time.

Madden is reluctant to fly and often traveled to games in a specially-equipped bus. He said in a statement that he still loves all aspects of the job, “but I know this is the right time.”

He's done. I had to make it Falcon's related hence the title of my thread.

In honor of madden:

When it is time to retire, you retire.

When i saw Brett Favre Retired i Called NBC and i was WOAHHH brett retired BOOM tough actin tinaction ace the helpful hardware place and told nbc i wanted to retire in the same retirement year as brett see when you retire your retired which means that you dont work since you are retired -----JOHN MADDEN

Expect a few abrupt departures to commercial as Michaels chokes Collinsworth attempting to squeeze the arrogance right out of him. On the other hand Collinsworth is one of the more intelligent analysts even if he is full of himself. I just remember his first season on Inside the NFL he and Jerry Glanville were constantly going at it.

I think the whole Madden moment thing was exaggerated with his voice being dubbed in the games and constantly hearing those same phrases over and over. Believe it or not the guy actually understands the game of football but sometimes you either laughed or suffered through one of his rants about something like cankles or bear paws. Many modern analysts use certain phrases that were derived from Madden. Not the ones from the game like "When your behind in points... you need to score" or "He folded like an over caffeinated origami artist".

The only reason I admire Collinsworth is because he actually played, and earned himself a pro bowl selection. So he knows what he's talking about.

I just hate his face.

What? I hope that is not a jab at Madden who was one of the great coaches of all time. I like Collinsworth too but I have more respect for Madden as far as understanding the game. He just has a funny way of expressing himself.

Apart from his openly mocking Ryan last year in the AZ game, I like Chris okay. Madden is like your crazy old grandfather who just says whatever crazy thought is going through his mind.

He has not looked good lately and he is stumbling more in the booth so I am glad he is retiring. I am sure he is not done being an analyst so we will probably see him for years to come.

ajc.com > Sports

Legendary football broadcaster John Madden retires

Associated Press

Thursday, April 16, 2009

NEW YORK (AP) — John Madden is calling it quits.

NBC said Thursday that the burly ex-coach who has been one pro football’s top broadcast analysts has decided to retire. The 73-year-old Madden has been working for the past three seasons on NBC’s Sunday night NFL game. His last telecast was the Super Bowl between Arizona and Pittsburgh.

Since he left coaching in 1979, the former Oakland Raiders coach has worked as an analyst for all four broadcast networks. His “Madden NFL Football” is the top-selling sports video game of all time.

Madden is reluctant to fly and often traveled to games in a specially-equipped bus. He said in a statement that he still loves all aspects of the job, “but I know this is the right time.”

He's done. I had to make it Falcon's related hence the title of my thread.

Well I wish him well. Madden was my fav color guy over the years. Dam good coach too. Will miss him as much as I miss Curt Gowdy and Pat Summerall who were the greatest NFL play by play guys IMO. When I heard those voices it just seemed like real NFL football.

I don't know that John had a lot left to offer the savvy football viewer. His appeal seemed to be more to the

casual viewer. Will be strange not hearing him, but it is also nice to hear new voices in the booth. Denis Green

always sounds like he's got a cement coating in his throat, but he sure can impart the insight. I'd like to see

him get a TV gig