Draft Headquarters- 'Inside Info'

What I’m Hearing

April 16th, 2009 Shawn Posted in Zobel's Blog No Comments »

With the draft just over a week away, I had a chance to receive some “inside info” on what teams are looking at doing in the first round. Here’s what I’ve learned:

- Michael Crabtree is still a very realistic option for Seattle at No. 4. They really like Mark Sanchez, but that could be a smokescreen trying to get teams to trade up.

- The Cleveland Browns are likely going to be looking at defense with the fifth overall pick. They would love to have Aaron Curry fall to them, but the chances of that happening aren’t very good.

- Andre Smith to Cincinnati, I’ve been saying it for the last two months. Write it down.

- Oakland would love to have one of the top offensive tackles fall to them. Their head coach, Tom Cable, is the former offensive line coach for the team. He knows that they need to build in the trenches.

- San Francisco is going to be looking for passionate players. Head coach Mike Singletary wants the team to draft a hard-working player who they can count on.

- Chris Wells and Knowshon Moreno are two realistic options for the Denver Broncos. Josh McDaniels is from Ohio and really likes Wells; he comes from the same area in Ohio as Wells does. McDaniels is from Barberton, Ohio, while Wells is from Akron, Ohio. The two towns are eight miles apart. You heard it here first.

- The “Chris Wells to New Orleans” may be a giant smokescreen. My source says that they would be very surprised if the Saints passed on defense in the first. They don’t have many picks in the draft and they can’t afford to use their top one on a luxury running back.

- Don’t be surprised if a team trades up for Mark Sanchez. He’s the hottest player in the draft right now and it’s almost a given that the Jets and/or Redskins could be calling teams in the Top 10 if he starts to slide.

- Detroit isn’t as high on Kevin Smith as some people think they are and taking Knowshon Moreno with the 20th pick could be an option.

- Philadelphia is really looking to trade one of its first round picks for a wide receiver. From what I’ve been told, sending one of the picks to Arizona for Anquan Boldin could happen.

- Minnesota is split on Percy Harvin and Eben Britton. Most of the coaches supposedly want Percy, however I’ve been told that head coach Brad Childress likes Britton. My source feels that they’ll go with Harvin. One quick note, imagine the type of trouble that defensive coordinators would have with both Adrian Peterson and Percy Harvin on the field at the same time and potentially even in the same backfield at the same time. That could outweigh the pro’s of drafting a tackle when they could potentially land Phil Loadholt in the second round. I’ve been told that the Vikings have Darrius Heyward-Bey rated as a three-year project at receiver.

- Baltimore really likes Heyward-Bey. He’s from Maryland, right down the road from Baltimore, and he was one of the first players that the team worked out. They also really need to add another receiver to increase the weapons for quarterback Joe Flacco.

LINK