Dwayne Allen upset.. oh shux little fella.

SacFalcFan

CLEMSON, S.C. – Clemson tight end Dwayne Allen was noticeably perturbed as he walked away from the practice fields a week ago.

He reluctantly agreed to an interview request and, asked what was bothering him, said this: "I don't really want to talk about it. I don't want to start any controversies."

Maybe it was just a bad day to catch Allen, who redshirted last season as a freshman. But it's probably not an exaggeration to say he isn't happy as he evaluates his role in the offense.

In February 2008, the 6-foot-3, 245-pound Allen spurned Georgia at the last minute and gave Clemson a high-profile signee at tight end. At the time, he had visions of becoming a major contributor in the Tigers' offense as a pass-catcher.

Allen knows it's early – he hasn't even played in a game yet – but he's getting antsy.

As the Tigers put the finishing touches on spring practice, he didn't think the tight ends were sufficiently involved in the passing game.

On this day, Allen said he was frustrated about "just the offense."

"We had a good day overall," he said. "But there were times where we were struggling, and I felt like the tight ends could have been more involved."

Beyond that, Allen gave short answers to questions about his frustrations.

Asked if he has a feel for how involved the tight ends will be in this offense:

"Right now I have no idea."

Asked if the tight ends' involvement is different from what he anticipated when he signed with the Tigers:

"Definitely."

Asked what his role has consisted of thus far:

"Blocking, pretty much."

Asked what he envisioned:

"That we were going to be in the game plan and we were going to be involved a lot – and catching balls."

Asked if that's happened thus far:

"Not this spring. But it's still the spring."

Approached after the spring game – a game in which he didn't catch a pass – Allen said he'd "evaluate my options" during the offseason.

He'd just watched tight ends Michael Palmer and Durrell Barry combine for 115 yards receiving on eight catches. Tight ends coach Danny Pearman asked him why he didn't have any.

Offensive coordinator Billy Napier, who played a large role in Allen's recruitment, said the spring game is proof enough that tight ends will have a substantial pass-catching role in the offense.

"How many balls did the tight ends catch?" he asked. "I'd ask him now that the spring game is over if he'd want to rethink what he said. … It's a freshman. You've got to be careful a little bit with them guys and what they say."

Napier said there's no reason for Allen to think he won't eventually be a vital cog in the offense.

"Dwayne Allen is going to be a marquee player at Clemson University," Napier said. "He's one of the most talented people that's come through this program in a long time. And I'm glad I've got him. I'm going to put him in position to be successful, and he's a guy we're going to use."

Coach Dabo Swinney echoed those sentiments after the spring game, saying Allen "could be the best tight end to come out of Clemson when it's all said and done."

Allen says he does feel good about his development thus far.

"I wanted to get my feet wet on this offense in the spring, and I think mostly it's gone well," he said. "I'm the fastest tight end we've got, and I do a great job at the point of attack. The only thing that's really killing me right now is flexibility."

Allen mostly ran with the second team behind Palmer during the spring, but he also got some looks with the first team.

"I'm a team player," he said. "As long as the team is doing great, I'm great."

He doesn't want to start any controversies, but he does want to start catching some balls.

I would love to tell him how being a coward gets you heading down the wrong path in life.

Wow...that's a little harsh.

He was an 18 yr old kid who couldn't make up his mind and chose the school that he thought was best for him. In retrospect, it probably wasn't the best choice....but he's only a freshman and he'll have at most 4 years to prove himself.

Sure, I was bitter too when he went back on his commitment and chose Clemson, but I wouldn't say he's heading down the wrong path in life or that he's a coward.

Wow...that's a little harsh.

He was an 18 yr old kid who couldn't make up his mind and chose the school that he thought was best for him. In retrospect, it probably wasn't the best choice....but he's only a freshman and he'll have at most 4 years to prove himself.

Sure, I was bitter too when he went back on his commitment and chose Clemson, but I wouldn't say he's heading down the wrong path in life or that he's a coward.

what he did was an act of cowardice. I would say the same thing if a uga player had done it to another school. he committed to cmr and uga over a year before nsd. he recommitted the monday before nsd. he then wakes up and signs clemson's loi after they fed him plenty of lies that he believed and he let the negative recruiting affect his decision. he then would not call cmr or any of the coaches and at least make them aware of what he did.. so uga was sitting there with a scholly and players wanted to sign with them they couldn't allow because they were loyal to dwayne.. his head coach had to push him and his head coach called cmr and got dwayne on the phone to tell richt later in the morning he just signed clemson's loi.. that was an act of cowardice.. even if one is 18 that doesn't take way what his responsibility of dealing with a situation like that the right way and because he did what he did it led him to a place that he is not happy at.

Well, at least Allen didn't claim to use a UGA shirt to wash his car after changing his mind. He definitely could have handled the decision better. He never said he was unhappy, and plenty of players have walked away from one practice in a bad mood. If someone had interviewed James Davis after a practice when he first got to campus, the following article would have been far, far more negative than this.

It's only been one year. He might have been better off going to UGA. He might have made the right choice, but there have been situations like this before at Clemson (Mike McIntosh) and I didn't feel the urge to rub the bad decision in the kid's face personally (I'm sure some Clemson fans would have though). Personally if I reacted that way, I'd think I was taking this way too seriously and needed to get a grip on life.

As a side note, the leading receiver (catches) at the spring game was TE Michael Palmer.

I'm a firm believer in treating 18 year olds like adults, because they are. Like Sac said, it was the way he did it. Cowardly is definitely the right word.

same here.. you don't act as a coward like that and not show respect to coaches who you have been committed to for well over a year. the he is 18 is no excuse.. he is a young adult and needs to show some character which he didn't. it's kinda of like newkeys richardson and how he acted.. it goes beyond making bad choices, it goes to a character of the individual in question and showing respect for others.

The kid doesnt pay a mortgage, nor is he in the military...so he isnt quite an adult.

I remember being railed on here last year for making comments about a player backing out of a commitment....but I never called him a coward.

He made that choice though to go to a different program, he should be happy he is getting the chance to play, and getting an education. If he is as good as he thinks he is....then the amount of passes thrown his way wont matter....scouts will notice.

See Michael Johnson and all 20 minutes of game film in a 4 year career...see Matt Cassell.

The kid doesnt pay a mortgage, nor is he in the military...so he isnt quite an adult.

I remember being railed on here last year for making comments about a player backing out of a commitment....but I never called him a coward.

He made that choice though to go to a different program, he should be happy he is getting the chance to play, and getting an education. If he is as good as he thinks he is....then the amount of passes thrown his way wont matter....scouts will notice.

See Michael Johnson and all 20 minutes of game film in a 4 year career...see Matt Cassell.

I agree, he is hardly an adult, adults are allowed to drink alcohol. Calling him a coward IMO is very harsh. This type of thing happens a lot in college recruiting kids back out of commitments and don't tell the school they were previously committed to and the coach finds out via the media.

I agree, he is hardly an adult, adults are allowed to drink alcohol. Calling him a coward IMO is very harsh. This type of thing happens a lot in college recruiting kids back out of commitments and don't tell the school they were previously committed to and the coach finds out via the media.

no the kid is a young adult and responsible for his actions and whether one can drink or not means nothing. what he did was indeed a cowardly act and no what dwayne allen did not happen all the time, not even close.

no the kid is a young adult and responsible for his actions and whether one can drink or not means nothing. what he did was indeed a cowardly act and no what dwayne allen did not happen all the time, not even close.

Young adult is not an adult which is debatable anyways, I hardly think or believe CMR is calling him cowardly so I would definitely question UGA fans calling him that. Calling him cowardly you come off looking like a bitter fan that was scorned by a 18 year old kid which is..............well I just leave that alone.

Young adult is not an adult which is debatable anyways, I hardly think or believe CMR is calling him cowardly so I would definitely question UGA fans calling him that. Calling him cowardly you come off looking like a bitter fan that was scorned by a 18 year old kid which is..............well I just leave that alone.

:lol:

That is debateable, but if you can enter into a contract and die for your country and make a life altering decision such as this you are an adult, but you are young. No calling what he did as a cowardly act is exactly what it is.. You call that calling it like you see it. You also didn't say jack when uf fans did the same and said worse about nukeese and what he did. Don't be so selective in your outrage which is ridiculous in this situation. What the player did was very cowardly and contrary to your opinion this type of act isn't done all the time.

Well, at least Allen didn't claim to use a UGA shirt to wash his car after changing his mind. He definitely could have handled the decision better. He never said he was unhappy, and plenty of players have walked away from one practice in a bad mood. If someone had interviewed James Davis after a practice when he first got to campus, the following article would have been far, far more negative than this.

It's only been one year. He might have been better off going to UGA. He might have made the right choice, but there have been situations like this before at Clemson (Mike McIntosh) and I didn't feel the urge to rub the bad decision in the kid's face personally (I'm sure some Clemson fans would have though). Personally if I reacted that way, I'd think I was taking this way too seriously and needed to get a grip on life.

As a side note, the leading receiver (catches) at the spring game was TE Michael Palmer.

you really don't want to compare the two recruits we are talking about and their actions. I know we lost a lot of clemson posters on the main rivals board that year..

I did love the clemson fan who created this:

http://www.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=2208...880&style=2 (if you have rivals) :P

you really don't want to compare the two recruits we are talking about and their actions. I know we lost a lot of clemson posters on the main rivals board that year..

I did love the clemson fan who created this:

http://www.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=2208...880&style=2 (if you have rivals) :P

Yeah, and you guys are acting much like the Clemson fans that day did. Harmon handled it better than Allen did, but he didn't need to say what he said either.

That guy is an idiot, and I don't see many Clemson fans agreeing with him. He's almost as bad as PizzaBuffet and tboonepickens.

That is debateable, but if you can enter into a contract and die for your country and make a life altering decision such as this you are an adult, but you are young. No calling what he did as a cowardly act is exactly what it is.. You call that calling it like you see it. You also didn't say jack when uf fans did the same and said worse about nukeese and what he did. Don't be so selective in your outrage which is ridiculous in this situation. What the player did was very cowardly and contrary to your opinion this type of act isn't done all the time.

I did and I was a kid when I enlisted in the Navy at the age of 18. 13 and 14 year olds make life altering decisions and are not call adults when they smoke weed or chose to do drugs or have unprotected sex. Was I offend when UF fans did it I don't read every post but I would expect that out of most UF fans to begin with not UGA fans oddly enough. Not outraged at all I just think you sound like a scorned fan which to me seems unbecoming of a grown man. Michigan has had the most decommits of anyone and I like to think that I have never bad mouth a kid because he changed his mind about playing football for the University of Michigan. IMO, being a grown man and calling an 18 year old cowardly because he changed his mind at the last minute to attend another schools is crazy, just my opinion which you are entitled to yours which just so happens to differ from mine.

Yeah, and you guys are acting much like the Clemson fans that day did. Harmon handled it better than Allen did, but he didn't need to say what he said either.

That guy is an idiot, and I don't see many Clemson fans agreeing with him. He's almost as bad as PizzaBuffet and tboonepickens.

Nah not even close to what clemson fans were doing.. now if I cuss about him, call him every name you can think of, make fun of his family, call him a thug, say he will be in prison, etc.. then yes you can make the comment above.. until then it's not even close..

I did and I was a kid when I enlisted in the Navy at the age of 18. 13 and 14 year olds make life altering decisions and are not call adults when they smoke weed or chose to do drugs or have unprotected sex. Was I offend when UF fans did it I don't read every post but I would expect that out of most UF fans to begin with not UGA fans oddly enough. Not outraged at all I just think you sound like a scorned fan which to me seems unbecoming of a grown man. Michigan has had the most decommits of anyone and I like to think that I have never bad mouth a kid because he changed his mind about playing football for the University of Michigan. IMO, being a grown man and calling an 18 year old cowardly because he changed his mind at the last minute to attend another schools is crazy, just my opinion which you are entitled to yours which just so happens to differ from mine.

No one cares that he changed schools. What matters is how he handled the situation which was very cowardly. That is a fact. His own high school coach commented on how disappointed he was with dwayne's actions. If you don't like the fact that someone is pointing how how poorly handled the situation was I could care less. You have no high moral ground to stand on here at all. An 18 year old is an adult. An 18 year old knows the difference between right and wrong and Dwayne did in this instance, but he was didn't have the intestinal fortitude to be honest and not hurt coaches who he had been committed to for over a year. UGA has decommitments before and that isn't the point and it's clear you will never get it and you sound like a scorned fan who hates uga with your commentary and don't give me the you didn't read their posts junk regarding uf because it was all over this board when it happened. Just selective outrage.

If u are 18 you are an adult. I dont care if you are young and can make bad decsions you are still an adult. He lives alone away from his parents. so tht clears up the whole adult or not thing. I will wait for the real reason he spurned UGA until i call him a coward, but it was suspicious are extremely aggravated when Richt and all UGA fans had been counting on this kid to commit since he already said he would sign.

The cowardly thing he did was not having the balls to go up to coach richt and say Im goign to clemson before signing day. he took a scholarship from the UGA program. Richt couldve given another player his scholarship.

Gee someone who actually gets it.

I have to agree with this guy.

Anybody who goes to play for Tommy Bowden as a tight end expecting to catch 5 balls a game bought a bill of goods. Seriously I cant even name another Clemson tight end. And Georgia fans probably wouldn't be so hacked off if the kid hadn't held a press conf. at his high school before signing day to reassure everyone he was committed to Georgia. That's not "kid is a little confused". That's "kid is engaged in actively deceiving people."

No one cares that he changed schools. What matters is how he handled the situation which was very cowardly. That is a fact. His own high school coach commented on how disappointed he was with dwayne's actions. If you don't like the fact that someone is pointing how how poorly handled the situation was I could care less. You have no high moral ground to stand on here at all. An 18 year old is an adult. An 18 year old knows the difference between right and wrong and Dwayne did in this instance, but he was didn't have the intestinal fortitude to be honest and not hurt coaches who he had been committed to for over a year. UGA has decommitments before and that isn't the point and it's clear you will never get it and you sound like a scorned fan who hates uga with your commentary and don't give me the you didn't read their posts junk regarding uf because it was all over this board when it happened. Just selective outrage.

Gee someone who actually gets it.

Well we will just end it here, but I am not the only one that has said you sound like a scorned fan.

That was one of the most bizarre commitments I've seen recently. Who was the last tight end from Clemson that you have EVER heard of? I can't think of any, because they don't use tight ends. They throw deep and they throw RB screens, that's it.

Georgia has created a reputation of having great tight ends, because they actually use them. Even when they suck and continue to drop passes over and over like Milner and Chandler, they keep going to them because Richt wants them to be a big part of their offense.

Real dumb decision on his part methinks.

Well we will just end it here, but I am not the only one that has said you sound like a scorned fan.

nothing i said sounds like that.. that's again the usual attack the fan who makes a comment mentality instead of what was said.. as I said time and time again him changing his commitment wasn't the issue so there goes your scorn opinion.. the way he did it was the issue.. i swear did you not even read what i posted.

That was one of the most bizarre commitments I've seen recently. Who was the last tight end from Clemson that you have EVER heard of? I can't think of any, because they don't use tight ends. They throw deep and they throw RB screens, that's it.

Georgia has created a reputation of having great tight ends, because they actually use them. Even when they suck and continue to drop passes over and over like Milner and Chandler, they keep going to them because Richt wants them to be a big part of their offense.

Real dumb decision on his part methinks.

I am actually very very happy dwayne didn't keep his commitment to uga. It allowed us to get 2 great prospects this year. The only issue i had was how he handled it. Understand his decision was due a lot to negative recruiting by napier. Which was fine, but if he would have been up front and honest in the morning and called richt on his own and said hey i signed clemson's loi both parties would have been fine and no one would have said jack about it..