JAMIE DUKES:MOCK DRAFT 3.0

Mock draft: Round 1

Pick Team Player Pos. School Previous pick

1. Lions Matthew Stafford QB Georgia Matthew Stafford

At this point, Stafford still seems to be leading the pack, but the Lions are still flirting with the idea of going safe with offensive tackle Jason Smith.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Rams Jason Smith OT Baylor Eugene Monroe

Eugene Monroe is a more polished product at offensive tackle, but there's a medical question with him. Most feel Andre Smith is the best tackle, but there are maturity questions that won't go away.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Chiefs Aaron Curry LB Wake Forest Michael Crabtree

After his success with Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin in Arizona, new Chiefs coach Todd Haley will be tempted to take Michael Crabtree.

4. Seahawks Andre Smith OT Alabama Andre Smith

Walter Jones is still one of the best tackles in the league, but he has 12 seasons under his belt and he is recovering slower than expected from microfracture knee surgery. If Jones is ready, Smith can play guard for a year or so and move into the tackle spot when Jones retires.

5. Browns Brian Orakpo DE/OLB Texas Aaron Curry

The Browns are in desperate need of a pass rush. No. 5 is a little high for Orakpo, but no one is likely to trade for the pick.

6. Bengals Eugene Monroe OT Virginia Jason Smith

Former offensive tackle Stacy Andrews is now wearing an Eagles jersey.

7. Raiders Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech Jeremy Maclin

Al Davis wants to get JaMarcus Russell a weapon. Ironically, Crabtree doesn't fit the Raider mold because he's not a burner.

8. Jaguars B.J. Raji DT Boston College B.J. Raji

The signing of Tra Thomas has taken the pressure off the team to take an O-lineman. It was a mistake to get rid of Marcus Stroud, and Raji would address that problem. I could see Michael Crabtree or Jeremy Maclin going here.

B.J. Raji: Combine highlights | Vignette | D-line demo

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

9. Packers Everette Brown DE/LB Florida State Brian Orakpo

The Pack are making the switch to the 3-4 defense. Aaron Kampman is making the move to the "Elephant" position, but Brown will provide flexibility to allow Kampman to play defensive end in addition to a rush outside linebacker.

10. 49ers Mark Sanchez QB USC Everette Brown

Michael Oher could be a fit here, but the Niners need the quarterback of the future and Sanchez would work very well with an offense that has a run-first mindset.

11. Bills Aaron Maybin LB Penn State Aaron Maybin

Penn State's pass-rushing maven has the best first step of all of the defenders in the class of '09.

12. Broncos Brian Cushing LB USC Brian Cushing

There is no way in teh world that the Broncos would turn the keys to the Bentley over to Kyle Orton. I would be surprised if the Broncos don't move up to try and get Mark Sanchez. If he is off the board, Cushing makes sense.

13. Redskins Michael Oher OT Mississippi Rey Maualuga

Chris Samuels is getting a little long in the tooth, but he still has some good tread on the tire.

14. Saints Chris "Beanie" Wells RB Ohio State Vontae Davis

The Saints need a "Thumper" running back to replace Deuce McAllister.

15. Texans Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech Michael Johnson

The Texans need a complement to "Super" Mario Williams. The biggest acquisition this offseason may be D-line coach Bill Kollar, who will get the most out of the inconsistent Johnson.

16. Chargers Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia Knowshon Moreno

Moreno is the perfect successor to L.T.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

17. Jets Josh Freeman QB Kansas State Alphonso Smith

The Jets will likely start Kellen Clemens, but he will be on borrowed time. Rex Ryan knows he can provide enough "D" to cover up for a rookie quarterback. Remember the Joe Flacco experiment?

18. Broncos Clay Matthews LB USC Mark Sanchez

This is a fallback plan. I do believe the Broncos will make a run at Mark Sanchez or Josh Freeman. That said, they will need a top-flight outside linebacker for the Mike Nolan-led 3-4 defense.

19. Buccaneers Vontae Davis CB Illinois Josh Freeman

The signing of Byron Leftwich addresses the need at quarterback. Next stop? With no Derrick Brooks, no Cato June, no Phillip Buchanon and an old Ronde Barber, it's defense.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20. Lions Tyson Jackson DE LSU Peria Jerry

Lions general manager Martin Mayhew has Jerry Jones to thank for this pick. Mayhew owes this pick to his best player on "D," which is Ernie Sims. Mayhew and new coach Jim Schwartz will be fortunate if Jackson or Peria Jerry are still on the board.

21. Eagles Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma State Chris "Beanie" Wells

Andy Reid needs a "thumper" back to spell Brian Westbrook. If "Beanie" or Knowshon Moreno are still around, Reid will be tempted to grab one of them. Pettigrew is Reid's kind of guy because he is a good receiving and blocking tight end. And remember, in another life, and body I might add, Reid was a tight end in college.

22. Vikings Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri Percy Harvin

The Vikings' passing game has to take the pressure off Adrian Peterson. I could see Darrius Heyward-Bey here, too.

23. Patriots Darius Butler CB Connecticut Darius Butler

This is one of those "best guys on the board" scenarios. The Patriots have plenty of depth, but you can never have enough corners. The acquisition of Shawn Springs is for the short term, and Butler is a smart kid from a great family, i.e., he is mentally stable, which is a must for a Bill Belichick player.

24. Falcons Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State

Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff will stick to his board, and cornerback is high on the list. Jenkins may go higher, but there are several sources I respect that say this kid is a safety. He reminds me of Antrel Rolle from his days at "The U." I always knew it was a matter of time before he landed at safety.

Malcolm Jenkins: Combine highlights | Vignette

25. Dolphins Percy Harvin WR Florida Hakeem Nicks

This is an intriguing decision for the 'Fins because Harvin is the ultimate "Wildcat," though he's not polished at all as a receiver. He also helps in the kicking game. This is a true coin toss. Depending on 40 times, North Carolina's Hakeem Nicks could be the guy, but Maryland's Darrius Heyward-Bey could also go here.

26. Ravens Alphonso Smith CB Wake Forest James Laurinaitis

Samari Rolle just re-signed, but that is for the short term. In seeking a long-term solution, the feisty Smith is undersized but tough.

27. Colts Darrius Heyward-Bey WR Maryland Evander "Ziggy" Hood

Team president Bill Polian is in desperate need of a power pig, but Peyton Manning needs his pieces. With the loss of Marvin Harrison, I would not be surprised to see Brian Robiskie or Hakeem Nicks go here.

28. Eagles Eben Britton OT Arizona Michael Oher

Tra Thomas is now in Jacksonville. I don't like the fit because I'm not convinced Britton can play left tackle in this league. I would not be surprised to see the more athletic William Beatty go here.

29. Giants Brian Robiskie WR Ohio State Tyson Jackson

If the Giants get lucky, this pick will belong to the Cleveland Browns, who are willing to part with Braylon Edwards. Robiskie is a Tom Coughlin kind of guy with a great pedigree from his father. More importantly, he has the size to make plays. Rutgers' Kenny Britt could also go here as the hometown hero.

30. Titans Peria Jerry DT Mississippi Robert Ayers

This is a coin toss for me. With Albert Haynesworth in the nation's capital and an aging Jevon Kearse, the Titans have to take the best D-lineman on their board. Jerry is a penetrator who could potentially add depth, but I could also see Tennessee defensive end Robert Ayers here as well.

Peria Jerry: Vignette

31. Cardinals Donald Brown RB Connecticut Donald Brown

With Edgerrin James' imminent departure, this makes sense. Iowa's Shonn Greene could also be an option.

32. Steelers Max Unger C Oregon Eben Britton

This is another coin toss with William Beatty. Unger can play all five O-line positions, and I love his knee flex. He can bend his knees to get under defenders. Did I mention he's tough?

I would love for us to get Malcom Jenkins and i would put him at CB, not safety, then i would hope that we got Moore in the 2nd.

I agree we need to address the DBs first then we can get a DT in the 3rd and still have plenty of picks left to get a linebacker...we dont need a starting linebacker right away, lets see what mike p can bring to the table and wire, or who ever starts in WLB position.