Todd McClure holding out for a new contract . . .

Profootballtalk.com . . .

Falcons Might Dump McClure For Newberry

Posted by Mike Florio on April 15, 2009, 10:30 p.m.

The Atlanta Falcons quietly have been dealing with a messy situation in the center of their offensive line.

Per a league source, long-time starting center Todd McClure has been boycotting offseason workouts. We’re told that he is contemplating retiring or holding out if he doesn’t get a new contract.

Per NFLPA records, McClure is under contract for three more seasons, at salaries of $1.4 million in 2009, $1.6 million in 2010, and $1.7 million in 2011.

We’re also told that the Falcons aren’t inclined to give him a new deal, and that they’ll commence the process of searching for potential replacements by kicking the tires on Jeremy Newberry, an 11-year veteran (and two-time Pro Bowler) who appeared in 16 games with the Chargers last season, starting three.

After missing all of the 2006 season due to microfracture surgery in his knee, Newberry started 14 games for the Raiders in 2007.

McClure joined the Falcons as a seventh-round pick in 1999. He has started every game since 2002 and started 15 in 2001.

If the Falcons intend to not call McClure’s bluff, the alternatives are limited. Beyond Newberry, the list of available veteran centers includes Melvin Folwer, Eric Giachiuc, Matt Lehr, and Cory Withrow.

He isn't irreplaceable . . .

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough luck, should've tried for a new contract earlier in your career.

We need to look for a young C in the draft anyways and we can put in a stopgap player. Or just make McClure come back and not give him a contract. If he wants to retire then we don't have to take a cap hit and that's fine.

He deserves a little bit of a raise. Dude isn't irreplaceable but he was the key to that young offensive line last year. He deserves more than what he is making. That's for sure. He's got three years left so just restructure those three years with a bit of a raise. Maybe the same numbers but with a signing bonus. He is going to be a 11 year vet so I understand he has to make everything he can right now because this is pretty much it for him as far as contracts are concerned. I like him and hope the Falcons would give him a bit of a raise. I would rather have him than have to bring someone else in.

He signed that contract at the end of the '06 season, and he's about the same player now that he was then. If he didn't think it paid him enough, he should have negotiated it differently before he signed it.

I have no sympathy for established vets in the middle of long-term contracts that they agreed to who just decide that they deserve more money...

And to add to what I said...

I think our o-line coach is so good we can bring in average o-linemen and elevate their game. Someone phrased it nicely in a post I saw on the boards earlier. Our players are developing faster than your average NFL players do with our coaching staff.

He signed that contract at the end of the '06 season, and he's about the same player now that he was then. If he didn't think it paid him enough, he should have negotiated it differently before he signed it.

I have no sympathy for established vets in the middle of long-term contracts that they agreed to who just decide that they deserve more money...

In '06 he didn't have to be the leader of the o-line. Right now he is the glue that holds these young guys together. Our o-line is very young with the exception of him. He made sure those guys new what to do out on the field. He is playing a much bigger role right now than he did in '06. I think he's a bit better too.

this

If we can get Newberry then there's no need to draft a center this year. We just picked up Romberg and we still have Stephavonich (sp)
Falcons | Caldwell scheduled to work out

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 17:25:41 -0700

J.J. Pesavento, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports University of Alabama OL Antoine Caldwell is scheduled to work out with the Atlanta Falcons.

I now see why we are working out Centers.

I feel like Eric Wood is the best fit for our scheme........ Eric Wood have that Harvey Dahl type aggressiveness

Falcons | E. Wood has visited team

Mon, 30 Mar 2009 17:35:51 -0700

Gil Brandt, of NFL.com, reports Louisville C Eric Wood has visited with the Atlanta Falcons.

The fans have been so loyal to McClure, I can't imagine why he would even consider something like this. :rolleyes:

Fact is, he's been treated like a friggen dog by many in the fanbase and blamed for all the problems for years. He owes most of the fans absolutely nothing IMO.

Just calling it like I see it folks......McClure has been raked over the coals and unappreciated for most of his time here.

I would like to take the chance to tell those that did give him the kudo he deserved, this is very serious.......you do not want to lose a steady, dependable center...it can really cause problems. I hope this gets straightened out.

The fans have been so loyal to McClure, I can't imagine why he would even consider something like this. :rolleyes:

Fact is, he's been treated like a friggen dog by many in the fanbase and blamed for all the problems for years. He owes most of the fans absolutely nothing IMO.

Just calling it like I see it folks......McClure has been raked over the coals and unappreciated for most of his time here.

I would like to take the chance to tell those that did give him the kudo he deserved, this is very serious.......you do not want to lose a steady, dependable center...it can really cause problems. I hope this gets straightened out.

Yeah, because it only matters what the fans think... :rolleyes::lol:

McClure is just being an ***... If you sign a 6 year contract, you should honor it. The END...

I agree McClure was not appreciated but that has nothing to do with him trying to get a new contract..... Its not smart for a team to give a 32 year old guy a new contract........ One of the things that made McClure so much of a gift for us is not only his play but also his contract.....

The Patriot way is not to give in to player demands.