Sick of these Debbie Downers

I dont mind the schedule at all; actually I kind of like it too. They want to throw a tough as nails schedule at us? BRING IT. This year the Falcons can prove that we can roll with the big boys. Players on this team will step up and suprise us. Despite what alot of people say, I really think JA is going to step it up this year and really help that defense. This team as a whole just needs to play hard, and we WILL get some quality wins this year, I know it.

Alot people are complaining. Yes, we have a tough schedule. But lets be optimists instead of sulking about the hard schedule.

None of those whining about the schedule were clamoring about the light schedule we had last year. Yeah, it'd be great if the better we became, the easier the schedule got, but that'd be just dumb, wouldn't it? We got a difficult schedule because we proved to be a difficult team, so just be happy with that fact and let's hope that it's even more difficult in 2010.

I dont mind the schedule at all; actually I kind of like it too. They want to throw a tough as nails schedule at us? BRING IT. This year the Falcons can prove that we can roll with the big boys. Players on this team will step up and suprise us. Despite what alot of people say, I really think JA is going to step it up this year and really help that defense. This team as a whole just needs to play hard, and we WILL get some quality wins this year, I know it.

Alot people are complaining. Yes, we have a tough schedule. But lets be optimists instead of sulking about the hard schedule.

Debbie Downers or realists? Man Ive been around here a long time. I saw 74, 79, 81, 84, 92, 96, 99, 03 and 05 live and in living color.

What mostly killed us was the tougher schedule you get coming off a 9+ win season and injuries, which are never anticipated. Injuries flat out killed us in 84, 99 and 03.

A lot of people are saying you have to beat the best to be the best, bring it on, blah, blah, blah. Careful what you pray for, you just might get it. There are no DET, STL, GB, OAK or KC on this year's schedule. None. And for all that think the NFC East, NFC South, AFC EAST and CHI won't be good this year, OK.

Debbie Downers or realists? Man Ive been around here a long time. I saw 74, 79, 81, 84, 92, 96, 99, 03 and 05 live and in living color.

What mostly killed us was the tougher schedule you get coming off a 9+ win season and injuries, which are never anticipated. Injuries flat out killed us in 84, 99 and 03.

A lot of people are saying you have to beat the best to be the best, bring it on, blah, blah, blah. Careful what you pray for, you just might get it. There are no DET, STL, GB, OAK or KC on this year's schedule. None. And for all that think the NFC East, NFC South, AFC EAST and CHI won't be good this year, OK.

Exactly. We went 11-5 with an easy schedule. Going 11-5 again without any easy teams will be tough. Debbie Downer? I think we are more realistic.

Exactly. We went 11-5 with an easy schedule. Going 11-5 again without any easy teams will be tough. Debbie Downer? I think we are more realistic.

Thank you. I agree. Optimistic yet realistic at the same time. YOUNG D, some have yet to be drafted. Last year we also

benefited from very few key injuries. Add in an injury or two, even playing GOOOOOOD, we're looking at break even. There

are probably only 2 sure wins in there, and probably only 2 sure losses, although we all seem to disagree on those, so perhaps

they're all up-in-the-air.

7-9. Look good this year, but very tough year ahead.

You cant blah blah blah the phrase "you have to be the beat the best to the best" because it is so true. Look, playing the lions, chiefs, and browns every season would be great. BUT, we would be labeled as "pretenders" I want to play a hard schedule, win those football games and be known as NFL contenders. Be careful what I wish for? I know what I am wishing for?I beleive the Falcons will prevail against all odds. Another way to look at this is well, "we just want to win championships, no matter if we play easy teams or not", and that is understandable. Maybe I just have an old school way of looking at this.

As for the realist comment, yea, I understand what you are saying. But I think there are differences between realists and debbie downers. A realist will look at the situation, well obviously, realistically. Not necessarily from a pessimistic standpoint,(although sometimes it comes off looking like that) but just looking at the facts. A debbie downer just ******, whines and just thinks the world is coming to an end because we are playing good teams this year.

It is going to be a tough year no doubt, and I cant wait to have the satisfaction of beating top tier football teams.

We get the same type of responses every year when the schedule comes out. That said, I'll take my Falcons against ANY team in the league. I'm glad the Falcons and coaching staff don't have the same amount of pessimism as so many on these boards. Not one team in the NFL scares me, and I'm sure that not ONE team scares the Falcons either.

The team went 11-5 last season and probably snuck up on a few people which won't happen this year. One thing when analysing the numbers of the Atlanta team is they lost the turnover battle nine times and won five of those contests (5-4).

The team is very young and made a lot of mistakes but is very resilient. Give these guys another year of growth and some added pieces here and there and this team may become something special for years to come.

More positives from the numbers includes the Falcons turning the ball over 21 times and only getting 16 takeaways. This shows that the team won games even though they turned the ball over and made mistakes.

This was mostly due to the Falcons consistent offense and their ability to get leads early in games. The Falcons offensive rankings last season were: 24.4 pts/gm (10th), 361.2 yds/gm (sixth), 208.5 (14th), and 152.7 rush yds/gm (second). Atlanta was able to run and pass consistently but did have trouble scoring touchdowns at times.

The defense was the Achilles Heel of the team last season: 20.3 pts/gm (11th), 348.2 yds/gm (24th), 220.4 (21st), and 127.9 (25th). The only thing defensively the Falcons did was limit the points their opponents scored. The turnover on the defensive side of the ball is big this offseason.

Atlanta lost five starters from defense including: Brooking, Milloy, Foxworth, Jackson, and Boley. The team has been very quiet in free agency with the only noise being made with the acquisition of LB Mike Peterson.

The bad...Atlanta has the fourth toughest schedule in the league. They have many holes to fill on defense and need a tight end on offense. The Falcons have not been active in free agency because of the uncertainty of the Michael Vick situation and keeping some money back to extend Roddy White's contract.

There isn't a whole lot of bad here though so let's look at the good.

Some things to look at going forward are the coaching staff is set, the offense is unchanged, and the draft should improve the defense. If the Falcons defense can get better and they land a receiving threat at tight end then look out!

The team was competitive in every game last year and didn't lose a game by more than fifteen points. Even though the defense wasn't great they didn't give up thirty points in any regular season game last year.

After the team dropped two early division games to Carolina and Tampa by 15 points each, the team only lost three more games (two of them by four points each).

This is a young team that is on the rise and should only get better (barring injuries, second year woes, and having another good draft).

The coaching staff should also get better and the team is getting a number of players back from injury. The team needs to get more consistent protecting the ball and improve defensively which should allow them to force more turnovers.

If these things happen then the Falcons should be the team to beat in the tough NFC South.