After taking a closer look at the Safeties in this years draft...

I've tried to give a hard look at the safeties in this years draft. I don't see anyone other than Louis Delmas who I would be optimistic about coming in and starting this year. In fact, I prefer the unproven Decoud over all but Delmas. I was optimistic after reading so much about William Moore but I checked out the videos I could find and could not see why this guy is getting the hype he is. Maybe he was a different player his junior year, because going off his senior year he looks like a 4th round prospect.

Milloy has figured out he isn't gonna get the 6 million dollars over 2 years he was looking for. I'm sure he'd rather come back here than go somewhere else and the money should be reasonable (maybe 3 million for 2 years). This gives us the best chance to win and also brings back a respected team captain. Is there something more to his departure than money? Because this makes the most sense by a longshot (unless we are prepared to take Delmas, which would be a reach at 24 and he won't make it to 55).

you do realize that strong safety really isn't a 4th linebacker right? you do have to have coverage skills to play in this defense. if there's one thing this draft has is cover safeties. stop the run with the front 7 please.

Last year we had excellent safety play all year until Milloy got hurt. He is on the decline but the whole point of the thread is that he would be better for us this year than any safety we might draft (other than possibly Delmas). And contrary to your post, we do need help in run support from our safeties.

ok one thing is that the 4th rd prospect thing is a mayock lift right there, so did u watch the tape, or just a video on the safties on nfl.com?

he really was a different player his junior year, because he played banged up the whole year last season! He is a boom or bust prospect, and private workouts will decide whether or not he fits.

Saying Decoud is unproven is only a half truism, as he domintates on special teams, and played great in preseason with the base defense, so expect him to come in and do a good job.

Delmas is a leader, a real intangibles player who will continue to work really hard in the NFL. (ask slick nick about delmas)

There are other guys further down who i would take any day of the week over milloy, including wiley, johnson, clemons, vaughn etc etc. Milloy is finished, he killed us in the secondary, and coleman carried him!

There is absolutely NO safety in this class who's a sure-fire starter for us next season ... even Delmas (who's as overhyped as anybody on this forum) isn't that good that he'd start for sure.

As a team overall we do have the problem that our Front 7 couldn't stop the run last season, and I seriously doubt that there will be much change this year, so the safeties have to be sure-tacklers too ... we should really start to build inside out and not start by plugin in safeties that might work for the team in 1-2 years, when we finally get a Front 7 that can a) generate pressure and b.) stop the run. Right now, we don't have that, so drafting a safety early is a wasted pick and wasted money.

If you want to bring in competition for DeCoud, bring in a veteran and use the early pick on somebody who can help our Front 7 to stop the run and generate pressure.

There is absolutely NO safety in this class who's a sure-fire starter for us next season ... even Delmas (who's as overhyped as anybody on this forum) isn't that good that he'd start for sure.

As a team overall we do have the problem that our Front 7 couldn't stop the run last season, and I seriously doubt that there will be much change this year, so the safeties have to be sure-tacklers too ... we should really start to build inside out and not start by plugin in safeties that might work for the team in 1-2 years, when we finally get a Front 7 that can a) generate pressure and b.) stop the run. Right now, we don't have that, so drafting a safety early is a wasted pick and wasted money.

If you want to bring in competition for DeCoud, bring in a veteran and use the early pick on somebody who can help our Front 7 to stop the run and generate pressure.

Seem's about right ;)

I agree, but I still wouldn't mind Moore in the 2nd

I agree, but I still wouldn't mind Moore in the 2nd

My problem with Moore is, that he fits what we need right now, but he's not the type of player that we would want, if we could play the system that Smith and Co have in mind. He could help our Front 7 against the run, but he's not a FS/SS tweener. He would fix the bleeding right now, but to me that's not worth a second round pick, a veteran might be a better choice.

I wouldn't be surprised if Milloy is still on the street when training camp rolls around. Roy Williams and Rodney Harrison are still on the street and are probably both higher regarded around the league as compared to Milloy (assuming Rodney is healthy).

So I don't see much downside in penciling in DeCoud as a starter at safety and if he's not working out by early August, bring in Milloy or Rodney Harrison as a stopgap.

It's also unclear if the coaches think Jammal Fudge could be a stopgap at safety. I'm skeptical, but then again, I never would have thought Coy Wire would have made his way into the starting lineup last season...

we'll be better up front this year, as Nicholas and Peterson will be significant upgrades over last year's starting LBs. Our system really requires a lot out of the LB's to stop the run, and those positions are sured up IMO at least for next year. Quality at NT is very weak this year and I think Trey Lewis is a good run stopping option. We could def use depth at all of these positions. The one starting spot that looks weakest right now is safety.

Football is the ultimate team game. Every position effects each other. While its true that you need a good front seven, you can't ignore the secondary. A great safety takes all kind of pressure off the corners, who can take more gambles in the passing game. Having a lockdown secondary makes it easier for the front seven by giving them more time. Each unit works hand in hand. I really think the OLB's last year (especially Boley's spot) were a major reason why we couldn't stop the run. That will be sured up IMO. Mike Peterson will be a stud on the outside in our system.

The major goals in this draft IMO in order of importance and urgency for next season:

1. Find a starting caliber safety. Decoud is most likely not ready yet (and I dont care how much time he had on special teams. He was inexperienced at safety coming out of college and played very little last year. He had only 6 tackles and it's not like the coaching staff trusted him at the end of the year to help an aging and hurting Lawyer Milloy)

2. Get another IMPACT edge pass rusher. While I'm not giving up on JA98, its time to think about adding someone else. Bierman showed promise last year, and Chaucey is a capable DE, but we need a future replacement for Abraham and another pass rusher to rotate in next year.

3. Offensive Line help- C and RT could be improved if the right guys fall to us. More of a luxury pick

4. NT- can find decent enough ones in the later rounds to give Lewis depth

5. OLB depth

6. Corner- we could use a nickel corner in this draft. I'm not giving up on Houston's potential and I think Chevis is ready to start

7. pass catching TE- the guy we get must also be able to block

8. UT depth- Babs could use some help, but we could always slide JA98 to the UT spot on pass rush downs

Tell me if I'm way off here

If I'm not mistaken, and I'm pretty sure I'm not, Moore was playing through a leg injury last year that slowed him down. He had 8 picks his junior year compared to one his senior year. I think the guy would be a steal if he makes it to our pick in the 2nd round. I wasn't opposed to keeping Milloy in the first place but I like the direction we are going. I really like Decoud and hope he is ready. I think Moore could sit for the last two years of Coleman's contract then be set to take over.