All I Hear Are People Complaining About the State of the Economy

womfalcs3

Then I see a movie like Fast and Furious making 116 million dollars in a week and a half. Then I see 100's of people standing in line to buy a new Blackberry.

If this is the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression, then people should be happy. People were standing in line just to get some bread during the Depression. Not stand in line to drop $200 on the new gadget on the street.

I think it shows people panic too easily, and complain too quickly.

its the same way as when companies like Wal-Mart say they are losing money and yet everytime I go there the lines are 20 people long for ten registers.

I think people may not be making thre money they WANT to, but they are not losing it like they say either.

I eat at Bojangles a lot and they are packed. And their food isn't free.

Just because some are in bad shape because of the economy doesnt mean all are. True some may have the cash to go blow 200 on a blackberry but it doesnt change the fact that we have the highest unemployment percentage in over 80 years. Tell the people who have been layed off and cant keep a roof over there heads that they are overreacting

Just because some are in bad shape because of the economy doesnt mean all are. True some may have the cash to go blow 200 on a blackberry but it doesnt change the fact that we have the highest unemployment percentage in over 80 years. Tell the people who have been layed off and cant keep a roof over there heads that they are overreacting

I agree with you. But it seems like the people who work the least, teenagers, don't have a clue as to what money is or saving is. They always have the latest and the greatest and it's rare today to see a kid drive around an old beater. Where are they getting the cash?

I have a feeling when mom and dad get the layoff slips some of those kids are gonna get a rude awakening.

Then I see a movie like Fast and Furious making 116 million dollars in a week and a half. Then I see 100's of people standing in line to buy a new Blackberry.

If this is the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression, then people should be happy. People were standing in line just to get some bread during the Depression. Not stand in line to drop $200 on the new gadget on the street.

I think it shows people panic too easily, and complain too quickly.

I have never agreed with anything you have said...until now.

Or college grads who cant even get a job interview, never mind an actual job.

Not sure what the point of this thread is...during the Great Depression, there were still loads of folks not neccesarily hurting for money, that were buying up luxury items, land, businesses, etc. There just wasn't as many of them as there are now...then again, there also wasn't as many people living in the US then as there are now, either. Hard economic times have an impact on everyone, but not everyone feels the same kind of impact...the folks who aren't losing their jobs, can still afford to buy the cool gadgets, go to the theater, etc. The rich folks who were never in danger of losing it all, can still take advantage of the situation, and buy up property and businesses that will make them even richer when the economy bounces back...and just like back during the Depression, the folks who have lost their jobs, homes, etc will continue to cry out about how bad it is right now. Just because there are folks out there buying the new iphone, or attending new movies, doesn't mean that there aren't a lot more folks out there struggling to keep a roof over their head or food on their table...believing that the existence of one, should automatically negate the existence of the other, is simply stupid or naive or quite possibly both. :blink:

I will admit though that I disagree with that a little.

One of the reasons that the economy is so far ahead from others is that we live such a different lifestyle than other countries. Instead of working some, doing some house work, raising our kids, etc, we just work more and pay other people to do everything else for us. For example, we don't cook our own breakfast, we simply work longer and pay dunken donuts to do it.

So while we are certainly buying more than we ever have before in a recession, a large part of that is simply how our economy is based. We work and produce all day long then when we get out we spend all the money. Our economy lives off of us paying 10 dollars for a movie ticket and 200 for a phone. If we stopped doing that, everything would collapse.