This is why we need Tony Gonzalez

Obviously Tony Gonzalez would help our entire offense, but he would be a major advantage in the red zone. Last year our offense was very potent without a pass-catching TE threat. However last year, the Falcons offense had some problems inside the red zone, specifically inside the goal line.

Here's some numbers for you:

The Falcons were top 10 in red zone possessions, however with a .554 td percentage; which ranked 14th in the league.

The addition of Tony Gonzalez will upgrade our offense obviously but especially the red zone offense especially inside the 10.

No more can defenses just bail out on the run and play man on the receivers. Gonzalez had 10 TDs last year, which led all TEs in the league last year, if we can bring that threat to the red zone, it would make it very difficult for defenses to stop our red zone offense. Defenses would have to stop our receivers, stop the run and keep Tony Gonzalez contain, who can't be covered by a LB who is too slow or a Safety who is too small. Not to forget the Falcons loves to run the ball, which means they love play-action, which a pass-catching TE like a Gonzalez would thrive in.

Good Defenses like the ones we will face this year, NFC South(minus the Saints), NFC East, the Patriots and Dolphins will be able to buckle our offense down inside the 20, attempting to force FGs instead of TDs. We need all the help we can get and a pass-catching TE, whether it's Tony Gonzalez or someone on that level or developing to that level will be a major plus and can open up the offense occupying a Safety and/or a LB, and being a major threat inside the red zone will be a vital part to the Falcons success in 2009.

And keep in mind we have the 55th pick of the 2nd round. It's not exactly a high 2nd, it's 10 picks from a 3rd rounder. Get about 2-3 years out of Gonzalez. Try to stop our Pro Bowl WR, Pro Bowl RB, Pro Bowl TE and all led by our Pro Bowl QB. If this rumor is true, do it. But if not, fact still remains we need a threat at TE to upgrade our offense and take it to the next level.

good arguement, but having Vick in your username brings it down about ten notches....about right on par with ralph right above me.

As Falcon fans, we were all victims of Vick's lifestyle and stupidity, regarding the state of our franchise. Thus, the name atlvicktim. But never mind, because we would have never gotten Matty Ice, who will lead us to a Super Bowl Championship someday.

As Falcon fans, we were all victims of Vick's lifestyle and stupidity, regarding the state of our franchise. Thus, the name atlvicktim. But never mind, because we would have never gotten Matty Ice, who will lead us to a Super Bowl Championship someday.

i made a thread similar to this, Mike Vick a blessing in diguise? so we got Matt Ryan, and i got flamed for it.

too old, too pricey. we need a te for the future not one for just maybe 2 years. and a 2nd rounder is too much for him.

First look would suggest that you are correct.

Some other things to consider.

We know the guy has 2 great years left in him.

The average NFL career is roughly at 4 years.

Smitty and Co, has perfectly managed John Abraham's playing time.

Our S&C coaches have exceeded even my expectations.

So if you consider the above statements to be true, then it is a very realistic

expectation, that with proper player management (snap count) that

we can get 3 very good years of production from Tony.

Finally pointed out something in another thread.

Gonzo has played on some pretty crappy teams and his QB's have

relied on him for a vast amount of production.

This would not be the case here in Atlanta.

FWIW, I am not just jumping on a mindless Bandwagon, I am just saying

that to view Gonzo as just having 2 years left in him would be to leave him in KC.

Also think about this.

The guy is a HOFer who knows every slick trick in the book when it comes to

completions with his QB.

Ryan could learn all of those slick little dinks and dunks, and I cant even imagine

to just how Naaaasty that would be.

Tony is a very worth while investment.

He brings a lot to the table so to speak.

Cheers

Here's a quick look at the five lowest teams in yards receiving by the TE position, This is a weak link on the offence not only that tony;s a great blocker as well .....Turner would also reep the rewards as well........

Falcons: 211 yards

Cardinals: 237 yards

Patriots: 302 yards

Bengals: 360 yards

Rams: 382 yards

A valid point...although I don't think he's worth a 2nd (we should get something else along with Gonzalez), I wouldn't frown on this trade completely. There's nothing like a veteran, especially a future HOF'er in Gonzalez to bring Ryan along...we could then bring in another potential pass-catching TE to learn from him. I totally agree that he'll improve our redzone offense...a lot of ya'll are saying he's too old, but Gonzalez had 1,058 receiving yards in his 12th season...doesn't look like he's on a decline to me. My only concern is how our defense will be affected if this trade went through...our defense is our top priority in this equation, so if TD and Smitty feel we can sacrifice a pick to bring in Gonzalez, it's obvious they believe that our defense is more solid than we think...either way, I'll be behind it.

i get it now, my bad, i guess like you said, were all Vicktims, i really cant stand vick or any of his nut huggers on these boards, thats why I was acting like a jerk.